Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question about copy protection (I think I'm going to buy this game, but first I need to know this)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Laffer
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Question about copy protection (0)  
I just played the demo of Drod and I found it to be great fun.
I really want to buy this game now, but I need to know one thing first - what kind of copy protection does this game have?
When I have bought it, can I run and install it whenever I want without getting new codes or connecting to any servers or any of that? Since HL2, I've had so much trouble with that kind of stuff that I no longer buy games with that kind of copy protection.

If I also purchase a CaravelNet Membership, will I be able to download the stuff there to my harddrive and play and reinstall this as much as I want without having to connect to the internet or get any new codes or any hassle like that?

Please answer fast, I want to buy these games and play more :D
01-21-2006 at 05:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Question about copy protection (+1)  
With JtRH by itself, you'll get a download link and you will save the installer to your hard drive. You have a certain number of days to download it and after that you don't have access anymore...from Plimus that is (you can download it from the website as long as you're logged into the forum account you bought it with). If you buy the CD then you have the CD and you can reinstall from that, and you also get a download link so you can start playing right away (well, I'm pretty sure you do). There's nothing like HL2 and their copy protection issues.

If you buy CaravelNet, that account is tied to your forum name. You can use that with any 2.0 version of DROD. The Smitemaster's Selection holds can only be downloaded in-game, and you can't export them. But you can import them into a new installation, and export your player file from the old one and import it into the new one, if you need to change computers. So it's not too much of a hassle.

Welcome to the forums and your new DROD addiction! :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 01-21-2006 05:31 AM]
01-21-2006 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Laffer
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm a little bit confused about the CaravelNet thing though.. here's what I really wonder about :
Can I backup everything I download from CaravelNet and install it again every time I want without having to depend on any outside sources? In other words, can I download the stuff from there and install it again no matter if the servers exist anymore (sometime in the future if CaravelNet goes down for whatever reason)?
01-21-2006 at 05:48 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Question about copy protection (0)  
Laffer wrote:
I'm a little bit confused about the CaravelNet thing though.. here's what I really wonder about :
Can I backup everything I download from CaravelNet and install it again every time I want without having to depend on any outside sources? In other words, can I download the stuff from there and install it again no matter if the servers exist anymore (sometime in the future if CaravelNet goes down for whatever reason)?
Yes, you can back up the data files themselves and copy them to other computers. It is a little tricky though, and as long as the server is accessible you'd find it easier to download holds (level collections) from there onto different installations of DROD. Playing the holds doesn't require a connection to CaravelNet or the internet after they are installed on a computer.

DROD was designed so you could easily install and use it on multiple computers. There's no copy protection to it really.

-Erik

01-21-2006 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Laffer
That's great! I will definately buy these games and a CaravelNet membership next week.

By the way, do you think that the CaravelNet price is worth it? Do I get much stuff? Is all of it fanmade?
01-21-2006 at 06:16 AM
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
Laffer wrote:
By the way, do you think that the CaravelNet price is worth it?
Yep. Other games are charging the same amount per month instead of for a year, but don't provide nearly as much for it. :)

Do I get much stuff?
Well, there's the Smitemasters Selection holds, which most are about as big as the hold that comes with the game AND with full voice acting, and of course there's the possibility of downloading other people's demos to see how they solved a room, or to beat all others for a record... :D

Is all of it fanmade?
Well, the powers that be are furiously working on the next DROD game (as you can see by looking at The Bar(TM)) so they're getting a helping hand from the fan base with the Smitemasters Selection holds.

Then again, when you look at the high quality of quite a lot of the holds you can download (as seen by the votes the holds got) I'm glad it works that way.

The more quality content the merrier, or something like that. :smile

(Is it just me, or does this sound more and more like an advertisement? O:-)

np: MRI - Nummern (Rhythmogenesis)

[Last edited by Briareos at 01-21-2006 10:48 AM]
01-21-2006 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
The CaravelNet-exclusive Smitemaster's Selections are built by hand-picked fans and vetted by the designers. They use the JtRH voice actors and are higher quality than your average fan-made work.

01-22-2006 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question about copy protection (I think I'm going to buy this game, but first I need to know this)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com