Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : New Yahoo Mail (Sharp New Features)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Saqqara
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
IP: Logged
icon New Yahoo Mail (0)  
I've been a regular user of Yahoo Mail for the past several years, and was suprised to log in and check my mail this morning, only to discover this:

Apparently, Yahoo is trying to keep up to speed with MSN's Live Mail, which is supposed to bring the feel of Outlook/Thunderbird/Eudora to your web browser. I have to say, playing around with Yahoo's new mail, it blows MSN Live Mail out of the water.

I've been used to the above layout for a couple of years now through my websites email service, which is provided by @Mail, but Yahoo takes functionality to a whole new level. Messages are now drag and droppable to their appropriate folders, the Spam folder is more intuitive than ever, and taking a hint from Firefox and other browsers, the main screen is now tabbed, so you are always one click away from a new message, or your inbox.

I have to say, Yahoo's approach to a desktop application in your browser is much more cleaner than MSN's as well. Live Mail opens in a 3 column view, which in turn makes messages display with both a horizontal and a vertical side bar. Not too appealing in my book.

I haven't tinkered with the whole new look much because I have class in an hour, but I have to say, the new look is very promising.
01-19-2006 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
icon Re: New Yahoo Mail (0)  
I just logged into my yahoo mail, because I wanted to see that cool new look. mine looks nothing like that. :(

do you have an upgraded version, or do you use the free yahoo mail?

Incidently, my yahoo has over 65000 unread messages (yay spam!)
01-19-2006 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
It's still in beta. I'm not sure if non-paying Yahoo people can access it (since I have a paid account), but for me, there's a link that says "Yahoo! mail beta. Try it now" on the right side of the (old-style) mail screen.

01-19-2006 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Saqqara
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
eytanz wrote:
It's still in beta. I'm not sure if non-paying Yahoo people can access it (since I have a paid account), but for me, there's a link that says "Yahoo! mail beta. Try it now" on the right side of the (old-style) mail screen.

Ah yes, perhaps that is true, considering I also have a paid Yahoo account. :?
01-19-2006 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
How does it compare to Google Mail?

01-19-2006 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1130
icon Re: New Yahoo Mail (+1)  
I can confirm that non-paying people do not have access to the new thing.
:(

EDIT: No, actually we cheap people can sign up for the beta list.
I just did. Yay!

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 01-21-2006 05:21 PM]
01-21-2006 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : New Yahoo Mail (Sharp New Features)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com