Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Submitting high scores
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Submitting high scores (0)  
I've recently noticed that on the odd occasion, on completing a room and achieving a high score, the score is not submitted to Caravel.Net.

This could be due to a temporary dropped DSL connection (my ISP has been like a yoyo recently). However, I would then expect that by clicking "Upload My Scores", that these "missing" ones get submitted -> this doesn't appear to be the case.

In fact, returning to the room in Question "TAPAKAHbI yCaTbIe" Level-10 Entrance, it appears that no demo was recorded locally so that would explain the lack of submission.

The .err reports:

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 1/16/06 4:23PM ***

Internet warning 28: Resolving host timed out: forum.caravelgames.com

---

It appears then that the above errors cause the demo not to be saved locally (and obviously submitted). Is this a known issue ?

[EDIT]

To confirm, I redid the room and the demo submitted fine so it's not a problem with the room...

[Last edited by Syntax at 01-16-2006 06:27 PM]
01-16-2006 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Submitting high scores (0)  
What version are you using? There's an issue with recording demos in entrance rooms that was addressed (but I'm not sure fully fixed) in a recent patch.

01-16-2006 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I've understood it so that the upload scores button isn't supposed to make your scores appear instantly unlike completing a room. The high score spider will verify those first. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

[Last edited by Doom at 01-16-2006 07:34 PM : removed unimportant information]
01-16-2006 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Thanks for the swift reply!

I'm using 2.0.12 which I think is the latest. But you're right about it only seeming to affect the entrance rooms. But not all of them. I've just had a similar issue on the entrance room of level 11...

Hmmm... will keep an eye out to see if the demos get added later (after spider verification).
01-16-2006 at 07:24 PM
eytanz
If there's no demo in-game, then no-demo will be uploaded.

The problem should be only in entrance rooms with no monsters at all. You *should* be able to get a demo by restoring to the room start and playing the room over. If that won't work, that's a bug (that was what was fixed in the patch). Also, for level entrances that aren't hold entrances, you can get a demo by restoring to the last room in the previous level and re-entering the level (that always worked).

01-16-2006 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Cheers...

I did notice that redoing a monsterless entrance room created a demo. This is still a bug, no ? Guess I'll just be vigilant from now on :)
01-17-2006 at 07:43 PM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: Submitting high scores (+1)  
So, um... I got hit with this 'bug' also. (yay for not making new threads when they're not needed) The 'update scores' button didn't instantly update things on the site, which I'll assume from this thread means it needs to check things out. But..... well, it *does* leave me wondering how long it'll take to update things, as my chunk-o-not-updating-time had a few holds completed in it, not to mention a *lot* of rooms. Anyone know about how long it takes to get all that checked by the system?

01-30-2006 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I believe it takes a few days for the spider to go through all the high scores. I don't know whether it continuously cycles through every single high score, or if it only checks new ones that are updated, but it will get to yours eventually. If it's already been a few days since you had your scores Updated...well, it's always best to assure us that you're using the latest patch (2.0.12 right now) before someone starts looking for a bug.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-30-2006 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
I mentioned one score here that doesn't seem to get ever uploaded. Actually now that I look at it, the situation is far worse.

Someone may remember that I was the first person to master KDD 2.0
Well, for some reason I have only 32 (of around 320) uploaded scores for that hold, even though I played through every single room more than six months ago. Those 32 demos are mostly from the earlier levels that I played online. The rest were played offline, but they never got sent - and still aren't being sent with the update your scores button.

And yes. I'm using 2.0.12. But the problem dates a lot farther than that.

I wonder how many points I'm missing because of that...
01-30-2006 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
I think you can get the game to resubmit all your scores by exporting and reimporting the player.

01-30-2006 at 10:26 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
This is a good idea. Having everyone resend all their demos every time they upload scores would probably cause the demo spider to take too long to verify them all, however. A compromise, as has been suggested long ago, would be to give the player the option of resubmitting all scores. I'll add a new ini option into the next patch that, when set, will cause all demos to be resent the next time the player uploads their scores.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-30-2006 at 10:28 PM
Hikari
Hee... yeah, seems like it's a little odd, that 'feature'... I've got this huge chunk of rooms between KDD2.0 floors 7 and 14 that I apparently didn't do, according to the online scoreboard. And... well, I just registered and everything a few days ago, but I seem to be on 2.0.11 :/ That may be due to my OSX-user-ness, but if not, I don't actually know where to get an updated version ^^;;

01-31-2006 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Hmmm, from what I can see, the Mac version is still 2.0.11. Hopefully our Mac guy will put a patch on our downloads page (for your future reference) before too long.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-31-2006 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Hikari wrote:
So, um... I got hit with this 'bug' also. (yay for not making new threads when they're not needed) The 'update scores' button didn't instantly update things on the site, which I'll assume from this thread means it needs to check things out. But..... well, it *does* leave me wondering how long it'll take to update things, as my chunk-o-not-updating-time had a few holds completed in it, not to mention a *lot* of rooms. Anyone know about how long it takes to get all that checked by the system?
Does your highscores page look complete now? I've been extremely busy at my other job for the last week or two, and hadn't kept the spider running full-time. This morning I started it up before I left for work, and by the time I got home and was able to check out your scores, the spider was finished with all batch-uploaded scores.

Edit: Oh wait, now I see your later post about KDD2, and that your scores still aren't there. Well, I can tell you that for whatever reason, those scores were never in my database. You don't have any scores that were deleted, nor do you have any that are pending verification.

[Last edited by Schik at 01-31-2006 01:45 AM]
01-31-2006 at 01:41 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
There seems to be something funny with my scores as well. I've got 42 high scores for the MetDROiD Prime hold (giving me a score of 107), yet, according to the "my stats" page, I've explored 0% of the hold!

I've played a bunch more holds than it lists there, too (all while offline, for various reasons). I hit upload all scores a while back to see if things would correct themselves (and then forgot about it until now), but it seems they didn't.

- Gerry
01-31-2006 at 06:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
eytanz wrote:
I think you can get the game to resubmit all your scores by exporting and reimporting the player.
I did this and clicked the submit your scores link after that, but I doubt it did anything, because there was a delay of only a few seconds after it. Shouldn't it last a lot longer than that if there are many demos that haven't been sent?

[Last edited by Doom at 01-31-2006 01:08 PM : check -> send]
01-31-2006 at 01:02 PM
eytanz
Doom wrote:
eytanz wrote:
I did this and clicked the submit your scores link after that, but I doubt it did anything, because there was a delay of only a few seconds after it. Shouldn't it last a lot longer than that if there's a lot of stuff to check?

I have no idea if it actually worked (since neither Mike nor Schik agreed with me on this I'm beginning to doubt it, even though neither disagreed either), but it wouldn't check anything - the checking is now all done by the spider, which is why scores don't show up right away.

01-31-2006 at 01:05 PM
Hikari
How long should it be taking for scores to show up? I'm looking at my high scores right now, and it doesn't look like anything's been updated in my scores for at least 24 hours, which is decidedly *not* how things were acting two days ago, before all those KDD2.0 scores didn't show up.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being overly worried about this or something, but, well, I'd kinda like to be able to see my scores in a convenient form, y'know? ;)

Out of curiosity, is there any way at all in 2.0.11 to force the program to do a massive batch upload of all of my scores to the spider?

02-01-2006 at 08:41 PM
Oneiromancer
Sure, it's been in for several patches: "Upload My Scores" on the Settings page. I guess we all assumed you had already done that; this is probably why your scores never showed up after playing offline.

Game on,

02-01-2006 at 08:44 PM
Hikari
Yes, well, there's the problem. I *did* click the 'Update My Scores' button. Not only that, but ever since I did (which was about 36 hours ago, as I recall), the box has been 'grayed out' or whatever you'd call it when I'm unable to click it and have anything happen, but also my scores haven't been updating on the server *at all*. As far as the site here seems to be concerned, the last time I did anything was on the 31st, and that chunk of time in the middle where I had floors 8-13 of KDD2.0 completed *still* doesn't exist.

02-02-2006 at 09:35 AM
Schik
Hikari wrote:
Yes, well, there's the problem. I *did* click the 'Update My Scores' button. Not only that, but ever since I did (which was about 36 hours ago, as I recall)
My guess is that you need to request a new key and enter it into your Settings screen. I see your last key usage at approximately 2.5 days ago, not 1.5. So perhaps when you tried to submit scores, it didn't work because your key was invalid.

Can you try requesting a new key, and see if it makes any difference?

02-02-2006 at 01:24 PM
Hikari
Ohhhh, there it goes now... Well, sorta. There's still rather a lot missing, though, at least at the moment. If they don't turn up, is there any other uploading method I could use to force the program to do a *complete* upload of every single one of my scores and demos (or at least just the scores)? I know it would be inefficient and probably a little bit taxing on the server, but there's a good day or two's worth of scores that didn't make it in, at least at the moment (not to mention that gap from a few days back).

[Last edited by Hikari at 02-02-2006 07:17 PM]
02-02-2006 at 07:17 PM
Schik
Hikari wrote:
Ohhhh, there it goes now... Well, sorta. There's still rather a lot missing, though, at least at the moment. If they don't turn up, is there any other uploading method I could use to force the program to do a *complete* upload of every single one of my scores and demos (or at least just the scores)? I know it would be inefficient and probably a little bit taxing on the server, but there's a good day or two's worth of scores that didn't make it in, at least at the moment (not to mention that gap from a few days back).
The spider is definitely done with any demos you batch uploaded, so if they're not there, they won't be there without re-uploading.

To do a full re-upload, I believe you should export your player, delete your player in the game, and then re-import your player. Or if you'd rather, just export your player and email it to me, and I'll make sure it gets uploaded.

02-02-2006 at 10:59 PM
Hikari
OK, I'll try that exporting thing, and if that doesn't work then I'll go ahead and email it to you. Thanks for helping me out with this... I'm used to playing DROD-AE in a Windows emulator and all these online elements are completely new to me ^^;;

EDIT: Hm. Looks like the tForum email thing won't let me attach anything to an email, and I can't seem to figure out how to get your email address from anywhere, Schik... In case this didn't do the trick, where do I find your email addy?

[Last edited by Hikari at 02-03-2006 02:02 AM]
02-03-2006 at 01:42 AM
Schik
Hikari wrote:
EDIT: Hm. Looks like the tForum email thing won't let me attach anything to an email, and I can't seem to figure out how to get your email address from anywhere, Schik... In case this didn't do the trick, where do I find your email addy?
You can send me your player file at matts@caravelgames.com .

02-03-2006 at 03:44 AM
Hikari
*sigh* E-mail sent. Apparently I'm not capable of pulling this off from my end. :?

EDIT: Just checked it, looks like everything's there, now, at least in the scores list... Looks like the conquered/explored holds lists are still confused, but those aren't really necessarily as important, I don't think. Thanks a lot, Schik :smile

[Last edited by Hikari at 02-04-2006 02:22 AM]
02-03-2006 at 08:06 AM
Hikari

File: colourblind.png (146.8 KB)
Downloaded 673 times.
License: Public Domain
OK, yeah, necroing the thread sorta, but...

Schik, I don't suppose you'd mind telling me what it was that you actually *did* to get those gaps in my scores to upload a month or so ago? I've got a few more of them that turned up again (dratted CaravelNet key), but I can't seem to figure out how to get my copy of DROD to do a full upload like whatever you got to happen, even when I try exporting my player file, deleting, and re-importing. :?

EDIT: :feels bad: it somehow figures that I could try doing it five or six times over in a couple weeks and nothing happens, then as soon as I post something about it on the forum, suddenly it appears within DROD that something's actually happened when I clicked the button. :selftwak I guess once it's had a little time to crunch away at the server end, I'll see if I suddenly managed to get my scores to upload ^^;;

[Last edited by Hikari at 06-05-2013 08:03 AM : Don't mind me, just stashing an image...]
03-07-2006 at 03:14 AM
Schik
All I did was import your player, get a working key, and upload.

I think your stuff was uploaded earlier, it's just that the spider hadn't gotten to it yet. It's going through some batch-uploaded demos right now that I believe are yours.

03-07-2006 at 04:18 AM
Hikari

File: desat.png (108 KB)
Downloaded 656 times.
License: Public Domain
Yeah, it finally uploaded, this time. *Usually* what's been happening is, when I click the Upload Scores button after doing the export/import thing, it flashes past really quickly, like in about five seconds. When I did it after posting here before, though, it instead took a minute or two to go by, and all my scores are up now. ^_^ That would've been my batch, though, yes.

[Last edited by Hikari at 06-05-2013 08:13 AM : Creative use of old, buried posts for image uploading. Wheeeee....]
03-07-2006 at 08:44 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Submitting high scores
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com