Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Interview on Just-RPG.net (My big fat ego on display.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Interview on Just-RPG.net (+3)  
Hey, I got interviewed!

http://www.just-rpg.com/default.asp?pid=1755

-Erik

01-06-2006 at 07:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
icon Re: Interview on Just-RPG.net (0)  
Awesome!!

This interview resumes perfectly the Drod development and it's futur, also I learn some new stuff on Drod.

01-06-2006 at 11:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Svante
Rank Points: 169
I learnt new things too, but I've already forgot them. There are some mistakes in their review though, I still can't find a site that got the name right on their first try.

-Svante
01-06-2006 at 12:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: Interview on Just-RPG.net (+1)  
Congrats Erik!!

Svante wrote:
I still can't find a site that got the name right on their first try.

-Svante

This site did :P

01-06-2006 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
No they didn't:
DROD stands for “Dangerous Rooms of Death.”
its "Deadly Rooms of Death".
Deadly rooms are certainly dangerous, but dangerous rooms are not necessarily deadly. You could be scarred, maimed or even horribly disfigured by acid, perhaps, but not necessarily killed in a dangerous room. In a deadly room, your very life is at stake.

[Last edited by stigant at 01-06-2006 03:36 PM]
01-06-2006 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I guess that's the reason why I should really do some programming: once I get a game done, I will be interviewed by various people, I will be on telly every other day, I will be given a couple million bucks just to appear in an ad, a host of nubile women will follow me wherever I go, and... Okay, so perhaps it won't get any further than the first item in the list. Still, I reckon you can make some more progress Erik, so go for it! I look forward to the day when I can see your avatar in the news.

The main piece of information seems to be about that "very strong drive to take the whole experience multiplayer". It isn't exactly news, as Erik already said something along those lines in the Illumination "Perfection is its own Sustenance" (November 2005 perhaps?), and in other places perhaps, but confirmations never hurt. Besides, there was nothing about *how* and *when* multiplayer was supposed to appear: for all we knew, it could have been in 2037 with Pong Online.

Then again, the interview merely says "the whole experience". Perhaps the DROD experience actually means "blowing stuff up while looking at scantily-clad women" in this case (the women in question being on the second level of Rooted Hold and in the last level of the same hold, of course).
01-06-2006 at 03:44 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I think jamie was referring to the current site we are all on, the official DROD website, as the one that got the name right on the first try.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-06-2006 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I can't understand his confusion about movement and turning; he spends a whole paragraph on something that is completely intuitive. Plus, dying doesn't force you to start from the beginning of the room.

01-06-2006 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Scantily Clad Negotiators.

Oh my.
01-06-2006 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
I <3 Erik's BFE (Big Fat Ego)

Click here to view the secret text

01-06-2006 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think jamie was referring to the current site we are all on, the official DROD website, as the one that got the name right on the first try.

Game on,

Yes! Thank-you, I was!

My wit is wasted... Wasted I tell you!

01-06-2006 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
:-) It went right over my head.

01-06-2006 at 08:19 PM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
although, Drod.net still has "Dangerous Re-evaluations Of Diapers" as the title of the page... so, did it really get it right?
01-06-2006 at 08:24 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Way to go, Erik!

I wonder, were you surprised that you're now being asked for interviews?

01-06-2006 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Interview on Just-RPG.net (+3)  
Tim wrote:
I wonder, were you surprised that you're now being asked for interviews?
Well, I would like to be modest and say I'm surprised, but the truth is, I'm not really. I was really surprised when Chris Marks interviewed me a long while back. Now I'm just grateful and a bit flattered. Honestly, Interviews with game sites aren't that hard to get once you've released something.

In fact, here are how interviews get set up with me these days:

1. A press release lands on a few thousand peoples' doorsteps. We're now in the habit of sending out press releases for some kind of announcement at least every 2 to 3 months, i.e. "DROD Player Offered Place at Cambridge." (Okay, maybe more game-related announcements. ;) )

2. I get a bunch of e-mails back from different sites, magazines, developers, and distributors over the next few days.

3. Out of those e-mails, there will almost certainly be some requests to review the game. I bend over backwards to make these people happy, because coverage is precious. I usually offer to do an interview in addition to the review. I don't ask because I'm conceited; I ask because it's a little more exposure for DROD. And it gives me a chance to show the game as being something more than just itself. You know, I can get across the whole thriving enterprise of it all.

4. I get e-mailed some questions from the interviewer, and I write answers back. I try to be entertaining and not bore anybody. I try to pitch DROD without being an irritating shill. I wander off-topic and get grandiose if the questions are too pedestrian for my taste.

5. Interviewer makes a few tweaks/addendums and posts the questions/responses on their website.

So that's how the machine works, my friend!

BTW, I've got another interview over on Videogaming Hub, but I don't like it as well, and it's somewhat redundant with the newer one on rpgnet. I've got a few more coming up.

-Erik

01-07-2006 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
ErikH2000 wrote:
1. A press release lands on a few thousand peoples' doorsteps. We're now in the habit of sending out press releases for some kind of announcement at least every 2 to 3 months, i.e. "DROD Player Offered Place at Cambridge." (Okay, maybe more game-related announcements. ;) )
Actually, that should be:

"DROD Player Offered Place at Cambridge. Research funds are now being accepted."

01-07-2006 at 09:17 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Interview on Just-RPG.net (My big fat ego on display.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com