Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Yet another JtRH Slayer kill (to quote a friend of mine, "because I'm just that good")
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged

File: JtRH Sixth Level 1S1E Slayer kill.demo (2.5 KB)
Downloaded 73 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Yet another JtRH Slayer kill (0)  
Seriously, I have found a pattern to many of the off-script Slayer kills. It goes like this:
Click here to view the secret text
In fact, this can be used as early as L3:2N1W. I suggest this fix:
Of course, I am not Mike Rimer and I am unsure whether this or any fix is feasible or desirable, but I hope someone finds this helpful, or at least cool.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 01-05-2006 05:34 AM : attached correct demo]
01-05-2006 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Yet another JtRH Slayer kill (0)  
Jatopian wrote:
Seriously, I have found a pattern to many of the off-script Slayer kills. It goes like this:
In fact, this can be used as early as L3:2N1W.
I'm pretty sure that the highscore in JtRH: L3 2N 1W (or one of the nearby rooms) is dependent on that very set of moves, if I'm not wrong. Also, it's a technique I (and probably others) use quite often to manipulate the Slayer in tight areas, so changing it would effectively mean learning a new Slayer strategy, which could be problematic.
I suggest this fix:
Of course, I am not Mike Rimer and I am unsure whether this or any fix is feasible or desirable, but I hope someone finds this helpful, or at least cool.
It's a fix that would work for this particular scenario, but it wouldn't work if there was an empty square to the northeast of the Slayer in your example. Beethro could step diagonally on the next move to kill the Slayer.

01-05-2006 at 11:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
agaricus5 wrote:
it's a technique I (and probably others) use quite often to manipulate the Slayer in tight areas, so changing it would effectively mean learning a new Slayer strategy, which could be problematic.
I suggest this fix:
It's a fix that would work for this particular scenario, but it wouldn't work if there was an empty square to the northeast of the Slayer in your example. Beethro could step diagonally on the next move to kill the Slayer.
Vice versa; the Slayer would step diagonally to kill him, unless coming from north, in which case the Slayer would move into that space.

01-07-2006 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
No, the first thing Slayer does is ask "Can I kill Beethro?" he then kills him. Otherwise, he has some long AI algorithm. If he were changed to swing his sword and there was a square NE of him, then he would have alreaady killed Beethro.
01-07-2006 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
icon Re: Yet another JtRH Slayer kill (+1)  
Maybe there should be a drod contest:
Create a code for the slayer where it is impossible for the slayer to be killed.
(just joking)

01-17-2006 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
That's an easy one... run around the hold !!! ;)

Seriously though, changing the behaviour would also break countless demos.
01-17-2006 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Yet another JtRH Slayer kill (+2)  
rowrow wrote:
Create a code for the slayer where it is impossible for the slayer to be killed.
Invincibility On

Do I win? :)

[Last edited by Doom at 02-04-2006 08:34 AM : typo]
01-17-2006 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Yet another JtRH Slayer kill (+1)  
No, because

1) You misspelled invincibility
2) Your character isn't even visible yet or
3) defined as a slayer :)

01-18-2006 at 11:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Chaco wrote:
No, because

1) You misspelled invincibility
Wow, I can't believe that. I always thought it's spelled like that... But I guess dictionary.com doesn't lie. :-O
2) Your character isn't even visible yet or
3) defined as a slayer :)
Well, the original message told you to make a code for the Slayer, so it obviously can't be for anything else. As for the visibility, that isn't part of the scripting, so I just ignored it.
01-18-2006 at 12:30 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Hmm. I just realized it's very easy to kill slayers where you have access to tunnels. It can't be so hard to include the knowledge of tunnels in the slayer AI?
02-03-2006 at 08:53 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Pseudo-code:

IF tunnel_location = insidedangerzone THEN
 IF beethro_location = neartunnel THEN
  runawayfromtunnel();
 END IF
ELSE
 continuetopursuebeethro();
END IF

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-03-2006 10:49 PM]
02-03-2006 at 10:49 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Yeah, it would be that hard. And really not necessary-Slayers are not invincible. The 39th Slayer in JtRH is meant to be, because he was smart enough not to show up in rooms where it was easy to kill him (and also have Beethro escape). This is why he almost never shows up in rooms with bombs, mimic/decoy potions, or tunnels. I think it is perfectly reasonable to leave tunnels the way they are, so the architect needs to be aware that they may be a way to kill a Slayer.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-03-2006 at 10:54 PM
Jatopian
rowrow wrote:
(just joking)
It should be easy in TCB; with relative movement we could do 'if relative (x,y) = non-steppable then'. Of course that assumes no mimic/decoy potions etc.

02-04-2006 at 08:26 AM
skarnet
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
I hope the Slayer AI won't be changed, because a friend and I are heavily relying on it in a hold we're designing, and which features a certain amount of Slayer kills.

If you design a really unkillable AI, please make it a new character, and keep the Slayer as he is - he's not invincible, but really tricky to beat, and that's what we want :yes

02-12-2006 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Yeah, I think it's too late for changing any existing 2.0 monster logic unless some glaring bug is uncovered.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-12-2006 02:55 AM]
02-12-2006 at 02:55 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Yet another JtRH Slayer kill (to quote a friend of mine, "because I'm just that good")
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com