Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Offered a Place at Cambridge University (Yay!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Offered a Place at Cambridge University (+3)  
Today, I received a white envelope in the mail. It was a pretty nondescript envelope, without even any markings to indicate who had sent it, or a stamp, just simply a white envelope with a plastic window with my address directly behind it. However, this seemingly ordinary envelope contained a letter that I could possibly describe as being the best and most important letter that I have ever received to date, for it contained an offer of a place at Cambridge University.

(!)

I was (to quote Mark) "quite chuffed about getting into Cambridge" (although quite might not quite be the word), since it was something that I was not expecting at all, although I was hoping that it would happen. Indeed, I was so excited by this that I just felt I had to tell the Forum, (which is why I am posting this message; this post's intention is not to boast, if anyone is wondering) and I'm probably going to need the next few days to get over the initial shock (which hopefully will quantify my degree of chuffedness a little better).

And apart from that, I guess there's not much more to say than...

Yippee!

<Insert extremely surprised and excited smilie here>

[Oh, and just in case anyone's wondering about the geographical location of Cambridge, the Cambridge University I'm referring to is the one in the UK.]

01-03-2006 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Offered a Place at Cambridge University (+1)  
Wow! Isn't that one the the most famous university out there?

Well done! :)

01-03-2006 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Congratulations, Wesley! I remember being amazed before at how young you were relative to your intelligence and knowledge as displayed on the forum. Cambridge will be lucky to have you, I say! Nice job, man. When you get to school, (Cambridge or elsewhere) what do you intend to study?

Also, thanks much for the recent post on the DROD Yahoo! group.

-Erik

01-04-2006 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I'd say you deserve a big congrats, so...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
01-04-2006 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Great news, Wesley! That's really cool. I'm sure you'll have a great time there.

01-04-2006 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
icon Re: Offered a Place at Cambridge University (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
When you get to school, (Cambridge or elsewhere) what do you intend to study?
I'm still at school at present, so I'm doing my A-Levels now, but if I decide to go to Cambridge (and should I be successful in getting the grades), then I hope to study (read?) Medicine at Fitzwilliam College. Actually, part of my reason for being very surprised at this is the fact that it is notoriously difficult to get places on medical courses in England in general, and I believe the current competition for places at Cambridge is about 8 to 10 people per place (about 5-6 per place if you're accepted for interview). So, I guess I didn't think I'd be lucky enough to be one of those 1 in 5 people, and so was suitably surprised when I got the letter.

ErikH2000 et al. wrote:
Congratulations, Wesley! (And other assorted congratulations)

Thanks everyone! It's been a pretty special day for me already, but the nice replies in this thread make it that bit more special.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 01-04-2006 01:24 AM]
01-04-2006 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yes, congrats! I hope everything turns out just the way you imagine.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-04-2006 at 01:08 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Good show, Wesley!

Yeah, sorry. But congratulations, anyway.

01-04-2006 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
:thumbsup Congratulations!

What else is there to say? :)

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-04-2006 at 03:22 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

Congratulations, dude!
01-04-2006 at 09:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Well done!

01-04-2006 at 09:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Hmm. Some people say my cousin was amoung 10 best people allowed into Cambridge. She finished it (she has been caught reading physics book during summer holidays ! FOr fun ! Ugh....).
Just saying.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
01-04-2006 at 11:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Congratulations, Wesley!

:hooray <- You

- Gerry
01-04-2006 at 08:42 PM
agaricus5
b0rsuk wrote:
Hmm. Some people say my cousin was amoung 10 best people allowed into Cambridge. She finished it (she has been caught reading physics book during summer holidays ! FOr fun ! Ugh....).
Just saying.
That's quite interesting, since I do that on a regular basis too (I find biochemistry slightly more fascinating than physics, but I guess that's just personal preference). Learning and understanding things (especially in relation to the world around us) is lots of fun!

*Ducks quickly to avoid those who beg to differ, especially the physicists who argue that chemistry is nothing more than the approximate physics of electronic behaviour in molecules.*

01-04-2006 at 09:22 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Offered a Place at Cambridge University (+2)  
Bah! You should've aimed for Oxford, I say. And what's that college you spoke of? That's what I said: nothing to write home about.

If you insist, I actually mean "congrats!". Would you please put down that sword now? I'll behave.
01-04-2006 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Indeed, congratulations. Glad you decided to go for the superior of the 2 universities. ;) I'm sure you'll get the grades, I may even see you around next year...

(Oh, and I feel a sense of pride that you felt I am worth quoting.)

"Oook!"
01-04-2006 at 09:51 PM
agaricus5
Alneyan wrote:
Bah! You should've aimed for Oxford, I say.
Oxford? Never! It's just a town trying to be a city but not getting it right. Highly inferior.

:P

And what's that college you spoke of? That's what I said: nothing to write home about.
Actually, that's closer to the truth than you might intend; I chose it because of its location and status - it's one of the more recent colleges, so its historical heritage isn't as rich as some of the more famous ones, and it's outside the center, near the science area, so it doesn't often get visited by tourists, I believe. So, there isn't actually that much that as a visitor I could write about it, assuming I were to write home about it right now (which doesn't apply, however, since I am at home now).

If you insist, I actually mean "congrats!". Would you please put down that sword now? I'll behave.
Did you know that in fact, that sword was a special sword that I can use to signal to the hordes of guards at my disposal down here simply by lowering it? Expect a visit shortly from below; the basement is indeed very large, and I have many adept tunnelling creatures.

krammer wrote:
I'm sure you'll get the grades, I may even see you around next year...
Yeah, that would be really cool; a Cambridge DROD-fest sounds like an interesting idea.

(Oh, and I feel a sense of pride that you felt I am worth quoting.)
Well, I thought what you'd said was pretty much my own sentiment, so quoting it seemed to be the best way of expressing myself. I'm glad you liked it.

01-04-2006 at 10:05 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ah, the Cambridge vs. Oxford controversy. I'm kinda torn on that one, actually, because on one hand, some of my best friends are currently studying in Oxford. On the other hand, my father got his PhD in Cambridge, and I was born there...

01-04-2006 at 10:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Offered a Place at Cambridge University (Yay!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com