Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : JtRH on Penny Arcade
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
IP: Logged
icon Re: JtRH on Penny Arcade (+3)  
Banjooie wrote:
Indiana Jones, Schik, can't stop the rock

Pfffft. The Pixelmash Collective ( http://www.b3ta.com/board/5403427 ) :

[Last edited by jamie at 01-18-2006 05:44 AM]
01-18-2006 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: JtRH on Penny Arcade (0)  
Apologies for bumping an old thread like this, but I think I have a suitable reason, if anyone who might be able to give me a good idea of how to manage this...

I don't know the details of how the DROD-and-Jägermeister thing worked last time around, but as I am going to PAX at the end of this month and may, in fact, manage to run into Tycho while there. While I wouldn't normally even think of doing something of this nature, my attempt at a thread regarding PAX in the Anything board swiftly resulted in a suggestion that I attempt a rehash of Tycho's post regarding DROD in the past. But... there's a lack of detail between here and Penny Arcade on the subject. Can someone tell me how exactly this thing was done? Was it Caravel-sanctioned or not, was it a full version of JtRH or a demo, etc.? If we could get an influx of linked-in people now, on the eve of Tendry's Tale, not to mention a nice mention of TCB in a reasonable location with lots of readership... well, it couldn't hurt, right?

[Last edited by Hikari at 08-08-2008 12:22 PM : Added link for reasoning.]
08-08-2008 at 06:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
That wasn't Caravel sanctioned...whatever that means -- you don't need Caravel's sanction to tell someone they should play DROD. Go right ahead and get the word out!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-09-2008 03:10 AM]
08-09-2008 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
mrimer wrote:
That wasn't Caravel sanctioned...whatever that means -- you don't need Caravel's sanction to tell someone they should play DROD. Go right ahead and get the word out!

Heh. I was more referring to the CD given to Tycho, but I guess if it wasn't sanctioned, then that answers *that* question.

Does that mean I should be handing him a CD with a demo version on it, though...? Probably a good idea. I'll burn one off. Maybe we can get a second mention of DROD on Penny Arcade.

08-09-2008 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
Actually I think what was meant was that the person bought a second copy on his own, and gave it to Tycho without telling anyone he was going to.

08-09-2008 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Hmm. A reasonable assumption. I suppose there's no way of knowing if there's even a remote chance that Tendry's Tale is going to be out before PAX... but I'll wait to make a definite decision on this until closer to the con, when I have a better idea of what my budget's going to be. Yay, minimum wage jobs. >.<

08-09-2008 at 08:32 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: JtRH on Penny Arcade (+2)  
Ethan, the first guy that pulled it off, got the attention because he did something out of the ordinary, i.e. gifting a bottle of Jagermeister. From what I read, Tycho and Gabe never had much interest in the game, so it was really Ethan's antics that got DROD a mention. I'm not saying you should do anything in particular, but if you want to make an impression, it takes creativity.

Caravel wouldn't sanction or promote such an activity, because as soon as they did, it reclassifies the activity from "good-natured fun" to "calculated marketing maneuver". And why kill the magic?

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself at PAX, and maybe let us know how it went.

-Erik

08-16-2008 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : JtRH on Penny Arcade
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com