Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD.net homepage art
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon DROD.net homepage art (0)  
The background gifs on the DROD homepage are 300kB altogether (that's 1-1.5 minutes downloading on dialup) This can be significantly reduced by cropping the art carefully, and reducing the colour depth. I went ahead and did this, and the gifs I got were a total of 75kB.

These gifs do look ever so slightly different to the originals (I pushed the colour reduction as far as I could go) If that's not good enough, anything between 75-175kB is achievable, but I'd prefer it to be lower since it's only a background. The buttons do look good though, so it'd be a shame to lose the overall theme.

I also optimised the AIM icons, reducing them from a total of 40 to 20kB with no visual difference.

There are a few other incidentals, barely worth mentioning, which I also optimised (for instance, minibeethro.gif looked a little crappy, so I redid it and got a better looking gif at half the size)

Posted or mailed on request, if there's any interest (I'm not going to just post them here since they're not my art) There wouldn't be any visual difference to the site, just a little better responsiveness for dialup users (i.e. me :D )

Also, those buttons could be optimised to a degree (I've not done so because it'd be a fair amount of work to get them looking right at a reduced colour depth) Though the potential saving aren't nearly as much as the background gifs, a reduction here would again improve responsiveness on dialup, when those button images not in the browser cache are downloaded as the mouse drifts over them (3 'highlighted' or 'button down' images = 15kB = ~4 seconds, per button)
07-13-2003 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: DROD.net homepage art (0)  
Hey, anything GIF can do, PNG can do better. Really. :P

(just make sure the bit-depth/index size is the same if comparing..)

..except animation, of course, but we've got MNG for that. Unfortunately that's not widely supported yet. Oh well.

- Gerry

07-14-2003 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: DROD.net homepage art (0)  
Well, I was making some comparisions for art between PNG and GIF, and wasn't seeing much difference here (though it certainly makes a huge difference for screenshots - 70-100kB vs 40-50kB I've seen) so for art here I just used GIF. If it's only a few bytes, why bother with PNG (especially as it's got a higher system overhead to decompress ;) ) For larger art, it pays to check though. I don't have a good GIF>PNG converter (the one I'm using, PSP7, produces fullcolour PNGs, rather than restricted palette, by default)

Though I am, I didn't want to be accused of being excessive in my attention to detail :) The advantage of gifs is that the URLs don't need updating... There comes a point where saving a few bytes isn't worth the effort, unless you're doing something like the Google or Yahoo homepage.

I've been looking further around the site e.g there's some messed up GIF screenshots (looks like a few JPG screenshots suffering from major artifacts has been converted to GIFs *shrug*.) 200kB+ apiece. I'll happily create replacements which are smaller and look identical except for the crappiness (if they're not already available via that rather cool screenshot select-o-matic)

If the webmaster cares to join in, at some point...? :D

[Edited by StuartK on 07-14-2003 at 11:45 PM]
07-15-2003 at 12:42 AM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: DROD.net homepage art (0)  
Feel free to make anything better that you want. I'll happily take any replacements you have that will make the site look better and load faster. I know very little about art in general, and computer art in particular, so anything you can do would probably be better than anything I can do.

I think you emailed me at some point, but there had been a problem with my email and a number of emails got deleted before I was able to respond to them. Email me again and we'll talk more.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
07-15-2003 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD.net homepage art
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com