Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : DROD #9 in GameTunnel's Top 10 Games of the Year
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon DROD #9 in GameTunnel's Top 10 Games of the Year (+2)  
http://gt.independentscore.com/articles.php?id=412

And it's in very good company...especially the #1 game, Oasis. I really should pick that up for myself one of these days, I had a great time with the demo.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-30-2005 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD #9 in GameTunnel's Top 10 Games of the Year (0)  
I've played many hours of Oasis. It deserves all the praise it gets.

Oh, and hooray for DROD! I don't know how they came up with the top 10, but I think the Player's Choice designation helped. In January, it's likely GameTunnel will have heavy traffic from Russell's press releases about the contest. A Slashdot on the top 10 article seems possible, since Slashdot usually covers the monthly round-ups.

-Erik

12-30-2005 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: DROD #9 in GameTunnel's Top 10 Games of the Year (+1)  
They also put Darwinia in there, another kewl game I've played and know to be great ;)

12-30-2005 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: DROD #9 in GameTunnel's Top 10 Games of the Year (+3)  
Number nine is actually a pretty good place to be, publicity-wise. You're not last of the ten, so you avoid that debatable stigma. But you're also close to one of the first ones that gets read in the list. Which means that if a casual reader picks up and starts the article, they'll be more likely to read about you than about (say) number three. In fact, if they decide after reading a few entries that it's not worth it to read the entire list, your game might be the last one they read about.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-30-2005 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
AlefBet wrote:
Number nine is actually a pretty good place to be, publicity-wise. You're not last of the ten, so you avoid that debatable stigma. But you're also close to one of the first ones that gets read in the list. Which means that if a casual reader picks up and starts the article, they'll be more likely to read about you than about (say) number three. In fact, if they decide after reading a few entries that it's not worth it to read the entire list, your game might be the last one they read about.
That's a pretty good point. I know that sometimes when reading a list like this, I will scroll down to the #1 if I feel that I don't have the time to read it...but usually I read the first few to get a feel for how long the article is. So yeah, we'll probably get pretty good exposure to those people who don't just skip down to #1 without reading any of the others.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-30-2005 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
AlefBet wrote:
Number nine is actually a pretty good place to be, publicity-wise.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Yeah, I'll take the nine spot, if I can't be in the top 3. My order of preference is 1, 2, 3, 9, 8, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10. Fuzzy scoring is based on:

+++ Connotations of "placing" in top 3. I.e. there is no "Copper Medal" for fourth place. The first three spots seem more like awards.

+ Being closer to the top of the page.

- Connotation of being last. (#10)

-Erik

12-31-2005 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: DROD #9 in GameTunnel's Top 10 Games of the Year (+4)  
Excellent!
ErikH2000 wrote:
AlefBet wrote:
Number nine is actually a pretty good place to be, publicity-wise.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Yeah, I'll take the nine spot, if I can't be in the top 3. My order of preference is 1, 2, 3, 9, 8, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10. Fuzzy scoring is based on:

+++ Connotations of "placing" in top 3. I.e. there is no "Copper Medal" for fourth place. The first three spots seem more like awards.

+ Being closer to the top of the page.

- Connotation of being last. (#10)

-Erik
I would have thought that

+ Erik

:D

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 12-31-2005 07:06 AM]
12-31-2005 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Hey, we got a little Slashdot attention from this too.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/01/2049246&tid=10

I guess GameTunnel had a hard time keeping their servers up despite making preparations.

-Erik

01-02-2006 at 05:43 AM
Oneiromancer
And Penny Arcade found out about GameTunnel's list, and linked to us specifically at the end of today's news post. And we're getting hammered by their traffic right now...so welcome to all Penny-Arcadians, and sorry that everything's going so slow right now...

Game on,

01-02-2006 at 07:43 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Well, I guess this turned out pretty good. We haven't been wanged or Slashdotted.

Cross fingers Fark doesn't notice us for the next month or so.

Who was the clever person who gave Tycho alcohol with DROD?

01-02-2006 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: DROD #9 in GameTunnel's Top 10 Games of the Year (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
Well, I guess this turned out pretty good. We haven't been wanged or Slashdotted.
Hey, bring it on. We can take it! Probably.
Who was the clever person who gave Tycho alcohol with DROD?
That was a guy named "Ethan", aka "Esk" on the forum. Pure genius. It was his idea--I didn't put him up to it.

-Erik

01-02-2006 at 11:20 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : DROD #9 in GameTunnel's Top 10 Games of the Year
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com