Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (Vote for DROD: JtRH!)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
IP: Logged
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (+1)  
grr...I voted, but we're still behind by 1... 56 to 55.

somebody needs to whip this community into a frenzy, and get them voting!
12-15-2005 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Leus
Rank Points: 204
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (0)  
I'll be pulling some strings. Who knows how many strings, or just how industrial the strength indicated on the discount package really is, but strings will definitely be pulled. Yes, the pulling of strings is surely going to be taking place. String-pulling is what will be going on. I guarantee it. I'm a pull-string kind of guy. I'm like Woody from Toy Story...

:thumbsup

12-15-2005 at 11:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sarngate
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
Just added my little vote - no strings!

12-15-2005 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
A 2 point lead for DROD right now, 58 vs 56. This definitely illustrates the impact an active online community for your game can have.
12-15-2005 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (+2)  
We're behind by 1.
People who haven't voted: VOTE!
The correct answer, by the way, is
Click here to view the secret text

12-15-2005 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486
I don't see how we are not winning.
Our forum has 2117 members, while the wildlife tycoon forum only has 147.
This thread has 1298 views, while the thread telling people to vote on their site has 45 views.
Not to mention the fact that a dungeon roach could easily take out a lion in any kind of fight.

-vylycyn

12-15-2005 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ajschatz
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (+7)  
The Hook is sharp, Erik.

I am watching you.

-Andy Schatz

12-16-2005 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MartianInvader
Rank Points: 126
In case not everyone checks the forum games section, I thought I should share this with you.

Swivel wrote:
Why Erik Should Give Us All Rank Points

We know that if A implies B, then the opposite of B implies the opposite of A.
Suppose that:
1. If DROD wins the GameTunnel contest, then Erik will hand out rank points to all.
2. From this we can conclude that:
If Erik doesn't hand out rank points, then DROD won't win the GameTunnel contest.
3. Give us Rank Points, Erik!

As for me, I haven't voted yet. I'm saving it for late in the game so that our true voting power will remain, remain unnoticed, waiting patiently in the shadows, stalking like a silent tiger, awaiting the moment to STRIKE! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA!!! :jumpy

...Erhem. Rest assured, my vote for DROD will be in before the poll closes.

12-16-2005 at 02:09 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
Oh, one other thing.
If you already voted, go back to the poll and click the bar!
Maybe that'll help :)

12-16-2005 at 02:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
ajschatz wrote:
The Hook is sharp, Erik.

I am watching you.

-Andy Schatz

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

12-16-2005 at 02:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Man, oh man. We were ahead of the tycoons by 5 yesterday and I thought maybe we were going to leave them in our dust. But now they are just one vote behind.

If we could get ahead of them by 20 votes or so, then they would give up in despair, spirits crushed. Andy would make an announcement thanking everyone for their hard work, there's always next year, and how he's planning to spend some long overdue time with his family. And then he'd head down to a tavern and drown his broken dreams in a pitcher of Pabst.

That's what I'm hoping for! :thumbsup

-Erik

12-16-2005 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
ErikH2000 wrote:
If we could get ahead of them by 20 votes or so, then they would give up in despair, spirits crushed.
If we get ahead by 20 votes, I will double the BarPot rate!

12-16-2005 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dali
Rank Points: 174
Bad news!
now we're losing 68-67 against wildlife tycoon.
I hope it'll change. I think someone said that we will certainly win, but it still not sure.
Well, All we have to do is to continue voting.
12-16-2005 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Now 68-72 to Wildlife Tycoon. If forum registrants are any reliable indicator, these guys may be smaller in number, but they do appear to be highly trained.
12-17-2005 at 04:30 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Dearie me....Wildlife Tycoon got a pretty big surge of votes - on my last count, they were up by 6. We'd better start getting more votes in.

Although with that, I'd also like to point out the coolest part about this poll. Rather than having a title from winning, this poll is about recognizing good indie games. DROD isn't the only one out there - there are hundreds. Thousands even. Rather than being concerned about winning, you could take a quick look at some of the games. I own Professor Fizzwizzle, and it's an amazing game. The whole style reminds me vagueishly like DROD, except it isn't turn based. I quickly tried out Dark Horizons: Lore Invasion, and it is absolutly astounting how similar it is to Mechwarrior.

While I'm not saying "Don't vote for DROD", all I ask is, at the very least, support other indie game developers as well.

12-17-2005 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Muiff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
I just voted... it's a tie again, 76-76!!

Come on fellow delvers!!
12-18-2005 at 11:05 PM
ErikH2000
We're ahead again (78-77) after a terrible time when we were behind by 5. The votes are coming in slower now. Could it be that Andy Schatz has run out of colleagues and cohorts to hit up for votes? Well, I'm running low too. There's still seven days left, and a lot can happen. The Trash people are climbing and I know they have a lot of fanatical players. I'm surprised that Weird Worlds and Darwinia aren't better represented--sleeping giants, maybe?

I've got my fingers crossed for something else. GameTunnel will announce "Quest/Adventure/Platform Game of the Year" sometime today. DROD is in the "Adventure" category on GameTunnel and was featured in their mid-year report card. I'd be surprised if it doesn't make an appearance in the top 5, but dare I hope for the #1 spot? Yes. I will dare.

-Erik

12-20-2005 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Dangit Erik, you know that Andy has email notifications turned on for this thread, so whenever someone announces we're ahead, he jumps on it and rounds up some more votes.

Oh darn, look at it now, we're down by 30 votes! Shoot, I guess Andy wins. *ahem*

12-20-2005 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Why not turn the email notification off then? Computers are hardly an exact science, and bugs do appear once in a while... and there is always the under-training third assistant of the fifth secretary to mess up a database.
12-20-2005 at 08:59 PM
ErikH2000
Alneyan wrote:
Why not turn the email notification off then? Computers are hardly an exact science, and bugs do appear once in a while... and there is always the under-training third assistant of the fifth secretary to mess up a database.
No, I am using this topic to send subtle propaganda messages to Andy. He will be thoroughly demoralized and give up before the contest is over.

-Erik

12-20-2005 at 09:01 PM
Alneyan
Why did you just reveal your masterful designed plot? Now he know we know he knows what we know.

Regarding the actual awards, I'm betting on Weird Worlds showing very well today, and quite likely snatching that first spot. I do see DROD being second, though. Of course, this post *will* be forgotten if DROD *is* first, m'okay?

Incidentally, the award should appear in article #404. Beware of the Number of Doom.
12-20-2005 at 10:22 PM
ErikH2000
Alneyan wrote:
Regarding the actual awards, I'm betting on Weird Worlds showing very well today, and quite likely snatching that first spot. I do see DROD being second, though. Of course, this post *will* be forgotten if DROD *is* first, m'okay?
Interesting. I Googled their hyoooge forum and they apparently haven't announced the GameTunnel poll. Yet. Yes, this would be a sleeping giant. You sound like maybe you know something else, Alneyan. Maybe an "everybody vote at once" plan coordinated through their mailing list?
Incidentally, the award should appear in article #404. Beware of the Number of Doom.
Huh? Don't understand.

-Erik

12-20-2005 at 10:35 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Looks like we bagged #3.

12-21-2005 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Yep! Not first place, but still pretty nice.

-Erik

12-21-2005 at 05:06 AM
Alneyan
Sssh. You shall see, young one, what the powers of the weirdness can do. I almost thought about giving them the link a few days ago, since I already have a forum account on their official forums at Shrapnel games. I didn't, though... should I?

I was commenting on the URL of the awards page. The last URL I'd seen was http://www.gametunnel.com/articles.php?id=403 , so I was betting on a 404 for the DROD award. They foiled my plot though, and published another article in the meantime, so DROD got an award on http://www.gametunnel.com/articles.php?id=405 instead.
12-21-2005 at 09:00 AM
ErikH2000
Alneyan wrote:
Sssh. You shall see, young one, what the powers of the weirdness can do. I almost thought about giving them the link a few days ago, since I already have a forum account on their official forums at Shrapnel games. I didn't, though... should I?
Too late. I already posted there today.
I was commenting on the URL of the awards page.
Yeah, now it makes sense to me.

-Erik

12-21-2005 at 09:46 AM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
I was commenting on the URL of the awards page. The last URL I'd seen was http://www.gametunnel.com/articles.php?id=403 , so I was betting on a 404 for the DROD award. They foiled my plot though, and published another article in the meantime, so DROD got an award on http://www.gametunnel.com/articles.php?id=405 instead.

Well, article 404 wasn't found

:ducks

12-21-2005 at 11:06 AM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
jamie wrote:
Well, article 404 wasn't found

:ducks
/me throws a duck at Jamie.
12-21-2005 at 03:34 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489

File: surowiec.png (12.1 KB)
Downloaded 264 times.
License: Public Domain
A bit offtopic

It's a screenshot from a polish puzzle game website. A while ago I described DROD there.
It seems that DROD managed to do much better than I expected. At the moment, it keeps the first place with 111 votes and 498 downloads (linked to caravelgames.com). I mean, it did well for an extended period of time.
It also shows that people like shiny graphics a lot.

I deliberately don't post the link - vote results are more truthful this way.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 12-21-2005 11:13 PM]
12-21-2005 at 11:03 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
w00t! We are ahead by 3 votes. Let's hope that they don't recover like we did.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
12-22-2005 at 02:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (Vote for DROD: JtRH!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com