Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (Vote for DROD: JtRH!)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (+1)  
Jeff - you're absolutely right, but you should also understand that Onieromancer is joking about blaming people, and that Erik, while serious about wanting to win, is also being deliberately over-the-top in his reaction.

12-12-2005 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Erik just don't get it.
Jeff, you are right that this poll isn't terribly important. I would like to win if we can, but if someone doesn't want to vote, that's not something to hold against him. Also I'm joking and exaggerating a lot, and you shouldn't take the more extreme things I say seriously. For example, Andy Schatz, the author of Wildlife Tycoon is actually...

Click here to view the secret text

-Erik

12-12-2005 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
A couple sincere questions:

So, what do I do after I join? Do I just let my GameTunnel account sit there and gather dust? Do I drop the occasional post while shamefully reveling in the truth that I was an implement to help DROD win, even though DROD should win? Do I just wait another year to vote again?
ajschatz wrote, on the WTVA site:
Please vote for Venture Africa for GameTunnel's Player's Choice Game of the Year!

Go here and vote! Tell your friends to vote!
http://gametunnel.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=512
First of all, is such activity wrong? If so, then do two wrongs make a right, though?

Sorry if I'm not supporting DROD enough. But I'd like these questions at least confronted. I know that I should vote, though...

Thanks!
-Swivel, a torn member of Le Resistance

12-12-2005 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Swivel, Erik said:
ErikH2000 wrote:
However, in this case, Russell Carroll has specifically encouraged the developers to go out and rally their players (inasmuch as they feel like getting rallied). This is the "Player's Choice" award, which could be another way of saying "most large and/or enthusiastic player community"--a respectable thing for a game to have. So I don't see it as sneaky or trivial for us to win this thing through brute force forumpower. That's actually what this particular contest is about.
Russell Carroll runs GameTunnel, or is one of the admins, so don't worry about it...this is what they want/expect. After all, it's just a popular vote...and their website is supported by advertising...and every person that goes and signs up has a chance to become a regular reader of the site, so they win. It's all in good fun.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-12-2005 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
If such a poll isn't being taken from a random population, then I think it's absolutely fair to try and tell people to vote for yourself. In a poll such as this, with 30 or so competitors, the victory will go to the game which has garnered the most support for itself, no matter what. In that case, it's prefectly fine to try and be that game.

The poll is far from being scientifically done, so I think that Erik's right in saying that it's more properly interpreted as a popularity contest than any other sort of award.

Although he doesn't have to say that in his acceptance speech.

12-12-2005 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Gotcha.

Here I go, to register... for better or for worse, in sickness or in health, etc.

EDIT: I came, I saw, I voted. (Veni, vidi, voti.) We're still one vote behind, though... but I say, go Dr. Do! (A common typo of DROD.)

[Last edited by Swivel at 12-12-2005 11:38 PM]
12-12-2005 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (0)  
Swivel wrote:
A couple sincere questions:

So, what do I do after I join? Do I just let my GameTunnel account sit there and gather dust?
If you want. Look at it from Russell Carroll's (GameTunnel guy) point of view. When he promoted his contest to indie game developers, he encouraged developers to ask their users to vote. So he's a good sport about this. And actually, there's little question that some subset of the voters that show up will take a look at other parts of GameTunnel and become more regular visitors. GameTunnel, like everybody else out there, is playing the "pay attention to me" game, so don't think you are exploiting them.
First of all, is such activity wrong?
Not at all. It's how this particular game was set up to be played.
Sorry if I'm not supporting DROD enough. But I'd like these questions at least confronted. I know that I should vote, though...
Do what you want, buddy! It's not a big deal.

-Erik

12-12-2005 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
Comon people, vote!!!!!!

we're a head one vote now :thumbsup

12-13-2005 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
icon Update: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (0)  
Update: As of now, WTVA is leading over DROD with 38 to 37 votes. The one-vote scenario doesn't seem so unlikely at the moment.

-leroy

12-13-2005 at 08:54 AM
devNull
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
I voted too. :) Yay, 39:38! :)

12-13-2005 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
Tied up 39 all. Going to be a long two weeks. :)
12-13-2005 at 03:46 PM
devNull
Rank Points: 20
I got a friend to vote. :) He made it 40, but those freakin'
frackin' Wildlifers have 41. :(

12-13-2005 at 06:34 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I have a list of people on this very board who voted for the Enemy. It goes as follow... wait, there's my name on the list. The Enemy has already infiltrated us!

It's funny how they always vote in synch with the DRODites, like they are *very* confident in their victory. I also suspect a third community is waiting for those last 24 hours, when all its members will start voting like there's no tomorrow.

They're out to get us. Someone should stand watch by Erik. All hell is about to break loose. I just know it. A bar and then voting. That sounds like the recipe for insanity. Well, maybe not.
12-13-2005 at 06:48 PM
orimer
Rank Points: 16
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (+2)  
I voted. It's tied :thumbsup
12-13-2005 at 07:06 PM
ErikH2000
Yay, Olga!

Everyone vote DROD for student body president... I mean Player's Choice!

-Erik

12-13-2005 at 09:18 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Seen those Dark Prophecy people? They're slowly adding themselves to the game. >_> <_<
12-13-2005 at 09:24 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (+3)  
Yeah, it's time to use my secret weapon. How many of those games out there have an in-game news marquee?

HehhHEHhhehheHHEheheh :devil

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 12-13-2005 09:47 PM]
12-13-2005 at 09:41 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
They're pulling ahead by three. Better start offering rank points. :P
12-14-2005 at 08:41 AM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Use the marquee! That's what it's there for! (except where Jeff is concerned! ;) )

Well, I just voted, but I was thinking maybe I should have held off until near the very end...

Also, I hope no-one has made fake votes..

And its currently 46 Drod, 47 wildlife tycoon... :?

12-14-2005 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
I cast my vote.
We're winning 48-47!

EDIT: That's punctuation, not a factorial sign :)

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 12-14-2005 03:50 PM]
12-14-2005 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
jamie wrote:
Use the marquee! That's what it's there for! (except where Jeff is concerned! ;) )
It's been on the marquee since yesterday. Looks like you need to play some DROD :P

[Last edited by Schik at 12-14-2005 04:09 PM]
12-14-2005 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Oh no, they're pulling ahead! Can it be that we've run out of people to vote for DROD? Is The Dream dieing?

To make matters worse, Andy Schatz is sending me polite and good-natured private messages showing off his good sportsmanship. I can't take it!

-Erik

12-14-2005 at 07:07 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Make a new announcement on the forum main page about it, then! The current one isn't really an announcement, it's more of a rule and should be added to the FAQ or somewhere else where it fits in better.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
12-14-2005 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Have Schik tie the bar-clicks into voting for us. That'll blow them out of the water.

Having said that, I just registered and voted. Its now 50/51 them.

[Last edited by stigant at 12-14-2005 07:53 PM]
12-14-2005 at 07:48 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
We're back in front after it took me 10 minutes to get registered.
12-14-2005 at 08:51 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Wildlife Tycoon may be doing comparable to DROD in the polls, but they don't have a wikipedia page! (Of course, knowing Wikipedia, this may have changed by the time you read this.)

++Adam H. Peterson
12-14-2005 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Nillo wrote:
Make a new announcement on the forum main page about it, then! The current one isn't really an announcement, it's more of a rule and should be added to the FAQ or somewhere else where it fits in better.
Done. Good idea!

-Erik

12-14-2005 at 10:19 PM
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
I voted. I gotta say that before I get funny looks... come guys and gals! It's isn't that much effort to vote! :D

12-14-2005 at 10:19 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Schik wrote:
It's been on the marquee since yesterday. Looks like you need to play some DROD :P

Ooops :blush

Errrm, my computer is broken...
I mean, we have a power cut.
Errr, I've been ill..
My granny was in hospital.
The dog ate my homework.
The cheques in the post.
Didn't you get my message ?
Your spam-filter must have deleted it.
It's been too hot.
It's been too cold.
It's been too dry.
We had a flood

[Last edited by jamie at 12-15-2005 12:01 AM]
12-15-2005 at 12:00 AM
Swivel
Well, now that the "report posts that use excessive cursing to an administrator " announcement is gone, let me say this: >>DELETED BY ERIK<<

12-15-2005 at 01:57 AM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (Vote for DROD: JtRH!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com