Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (Vote for DROD: JtRH!)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (+4)  
Over at Gametunnel, they're revealing their picks for Game of the Year. And there's a Player's Choice category, which we, as players can vote on. But you need to register for their forums to vote. The vote is in this post, and there is a Register link at the top of the page (typical forum registration, needs a valid e-mail address).

Right now JtRH has only 2 votes (someone before me voted) and since it doesn't specifically say not to go and drum up support with the community, I hereby implore everyone to go and make their voices heard! :D

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-10-2005 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (0)  
Well, all's fair in love and internet polls, I guess. Yeah, go vote us into glory! That helps us even more than clicking on the bar, believe it or not.

GameTunnel is a great site for learning about new indie games, by the way. Check them out from the front page, to get an idea. There aren't any other indie game review sites as polished as GameTunnel, although Bytten is up there.

12/20 might be a big day for us. That's when they announce the "Quest/Adventure/Platform Game of the Year" which will be DROD if we are lucky.

-Erik

12-10-2005 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Oh, no, we've fallen to second place behind Wildlife Tycoon!

-Erik

12-12-2005 at 12:06 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
DROD is indeed the best game, second to Wonderquest, just i'm too lazy to register.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-12-2005 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
ErikH2000 wrote:
That helps us even more than clicking on the bar, believe it or not.

You mean clicking on the bar does help you? Yahoo, all those so-called "wasted" hours were not in vain! :fun

12-12-2005 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (+1)  
This poll is incomplete; it lacks Doukutsu Monogatari. :(

That said, I registered, and I voted. DROD needs more lovin'.

We're second place now! :D

12-12-2005 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Chaco wrote:
You mean clicking on the bar does help you? Yahoo, all those so-called "wasted" hours were not in vain! :fun
Sure, clicking the bar helps. Mike won't write a line of code for less than 500 clicks. :)

-Erik

12-12-2005 at 03:28 AM
ErikH2000
NekoIncardine wrote:
This poll is incomplete; it lacks Doukutsu Monogatari. :(
Yeah, no Doukutsu up there seems kinda off, but I believe it came out in 2004. Russell Carroll had a hard time narrowing the list down, and no doubt he forgot some important game somewhere.
That said, I registered, and I voted. DROD needs more lovin'.
Excellent. I'm very childish about this, and I really want DROD to win. :)
We're second place now! :D
At time of writing, tied for first!

-Erik

12-12-2005 at 03:42 AM
Saqqara
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Just cast the tie breaking vote for DROD:JtRH. Seems like the Venture Africa community is as vigilant as ours though.
12-12-2005 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
But I bet they don't have l33t h4xx0rs who can run voting scripts!

12-12-2005 at 07:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
But I bet they don't have l33t h4xx0rs who can run voting scripts!
I know you were just joking, but...

I hope you were just joking! Yikes.

-Erik

12-12-2005 at 07:49 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I have cast my vote as I think best, and I call upon my fellows to do the same. What more can a democrat do?

12-12-2005 at 09:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
ErikH2000 wrote:
I hope you were just joking! Yikes.

Weren't you the one saying that "all's fair in [...] internet polls"? There's a bunch of us here taking everything far too literally - unless the literal meaning goes against our interests, of course.

I know Matt has already asked me if he could use my computer to keep the script running during European time. We have already cracked down the admin password on the website, of course. Don't worry, we'll do just fine. (Disclaimer: should Game Tunnel be hacked in the coming days, I will deny any and all responsibility. I am *not* involved in any hacking attempt whatsoever, for the most excellent reason that I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag. Honest. Now Matt... that one's a shady chap)

I cannot say I'm overly fond of Internet polls when they are used for anything looking remotely like a serious matter. I know that both Weird Worlds and Land of Legends do not appear to have any thread about the voting, so they are doomed to be defeated, whereas two communities have summoned their hosts of players. Still, I guess the creators of the poll were aware of the "pst buddies" factor, so I'll go along and vote for DROD. Remember folks: we are unassailable.
12-12-2005 at 09:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Well, we don't have l33t h4xx0rs either. But they're probably watching my IP address now just in case.

Remember kids: This award is not important enough to go sacrificing your principles over. Skullduggery just makes things ugly when people find out - remember that one guy who tried to skulldugger their way into the JtRH beta? Yeah, that worked well. And anyway, we can probably win without cheating, so let's not risk it.

God I hope no-one was taking me seriously back there.

12-12-2005 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Go DROD :thumbsup
12-12-2005 at 05:47 PM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Go! Go! GO!!

I voted yesterday, too lazy to post it...
12-12-2005 at 07:02 PM
Alneyan
Mattcrampy wrote:
And anyway, we can probably win without cheating, so let's not risk it.

Congrats. We had a lead of four votes before your post, perhaps even five, and now we are tied for first place. See what happens when you let your hubris run wild? Now you have brought a millenium of misfortune on everything related to DROD.

I suggest we perform a rear guard action. We are getting trashed back there, so why go on with the fighting? Wisdom lies in knowing when and where to pull out.

With any luck, my post will counter the ill-luck Matt has brought down upon us. One can hope.
12-12-2005 at 07:06 PM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
I just broke the tie; it's now 25 votes to 24.

Just out of curiousity, I checked their membership list. They currently have 424 members; 84 of those members joined on the 10th or later. :)
12-12-2005 at 07:18 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (+3)  
Alneyan wrote:
I cannot say I'm overly fond of Internet polls when they are used for anything looking remotely like a serious matter.
Yeah, I agree that internet polls are easy to manipulate. However, in this case, Russell Carroll has specifically encouraged the developers to go out and rally their players (inasmuch as they feel like getting rallied). This is the "Player's Choice" award, which could be another way of saying "most large and/or enthusiastic player community"--a respectable thing for a game to have. So I don't see it as sneaky or trivial for us to win this thing through brute force forumpower. That's actually what this particular contest is about.

It looks like a battle between us and the Wildlife Tycoon crowd. Andy Schatz, if you can hear me, then know this:

We will bury you!

-Erik

12-12-2005 at 07:23 PM
Alneyan
If brute force *is* the point, yeah we can go ahead and bury them like a horde of roaches going for Beethro. Somehow, that comparison doesn't sound right, though. And don't forget about the press gang factor: the ability to gather, convince, pressure or otherwise compel your players into voting is also a very important asset to have.

KevG, they've tied with us again. Still, we appreciate your voting soldier!

[Last edited by Alneyan at 12-12-2005 07:32 PM]
12-12-2005 at 07:32 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
ErikH2000 wrote:
We will bury you!
May this proclamation bring you better luck than it brought Khrushchev.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-12-2005 at 07:59 PM
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
Just voted... that bumped us back to #1!!!!!
12-12-2005 at 08:12 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Remember, folks, the poll lasts until December 27th. That's a long time to be fighting it out with another game/community...we need a decisive lead! And who knows if another community will finally hear about this poll, and overtake both of us!

And if you tell us you're not going to vote, and we lose by 1...it's your fault!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-12-2005 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Oneiromancer wrote:
And if you tell us you're not going to vote, and we lose by 1...it's your fault!
In other words, those of us who aren't voting should avoid mentioning the fact. Or, if the "lose by one vote" scenario looks probable, register anyway and make sure that we lose by at least two votes.
12-12-2005 at 08:26 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
DROD! Go, go, go! :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-12-2005 at 08:37 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
I visited a strange land beyond the DROD website, and cast my 'vote' according to the rituals. And now I have returned, a man.
12-12-2005 at 09:19 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Yeah, I voted, and I have people who I've got to play DROD who will be voting tonight.

I will make them. e.e
12-12-2005 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
forrestfire
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
I voted!!! At first I didn't want to, but then I thought of what would happen if everybody had that attitude. No one would have voted.

My vote made it 31 to 28. I hope we don't run out of enthusiastic DROD players soon. If you don't want to vote, vote anyway. It does make a difference.

12-12-2005 at 09:48 PM
ErikH2000
Usually things like this don't get to me, but I'm a little obsessed over the possibility of winning a popularity contest. It's nerve-racking how both Wildlife Tycoon and DROD votes increase at about the same pace. Did I mention that Andy Schatz is a horrible man, probably a terrorist, and definitely an enemy of Christmas? If you don't vote for DROD, you're letting the Christmas-haters win!

Must... stop... looking at poll page. Yeah, I gotta pace myself. December 27th is a long ways off.

-Erik

12-12-2005 at 10:09 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (+2)  
Erik just don't get it.

The goal is not to win, but it is to try and have fun voting.

Like, world won't end if DROD doesn't win. If someone is on the forums but likes a game more than DROD, no reason to blame him/her. It's his/her choice. This is the way of life.

And, don't mod me down. I'm right.

Everyone tries to blame who won't vote! I just need to tell you:
Winning is not the goal of these awards!

This message is to Erik, Oneiro, and the others.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 12-12-2005 10:24 PM]
12-12-2005 at 10:15 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Player's Choice: Game of the Year on Gametunnel (Vote for DROD: JtRH!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com