Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Checkpoint assertion error
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Checkpoint assertion error (0)  
In L4 entrance of Odd Jobs medium, when returning to the stairs after completing the room. I tried to 'r'estore to the top entrance, Beethro stopped about half way down the corridor on the right, on the way back, and I got this error. Another 'r' took him back to the top entrance with no further errors.

More problems with scripts, or something to do with having a checkpoint on an entrance location?

Assertion error in line 1417 of C:\\Caravel\\DROD17\\DRODLib\\CurrentGame.cpp: "this->pRoom->checkpoints
.has(this->wLastCheckpointX, this->wLastCheckpointY)"

I haven't been able to consistently reproduce this error, though I've seen it twice in this hold. I'm using the latest patch.

[Last edited by StuartK at 12-09-2005 02:47 AM]
12-09-2005 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Checkpoint assertion error (+1)  
Did you download the patch to the patch? Mike found a bug with Undo/checkpoints in rooms with scripting, and fixed it within a few hours, so if you got the patch right away you might have missed the update.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-09-2005 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
icon Re: Checkpoint assertion error (0)  
I keep multiple installs of DROD, but I'm pretty sure I updated them all. All filesizes are the same for drod.exe, and the files are 6/12/2005 12:26. I ran the last update again and these did not change.
12-09-2005 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
This bug is hard to track down if it's not reproducable. Please let me know if you find a room and set of moves that will cause it to occur.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-09-2005 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
I've only seen the bug in the various stair rooms for the Odd Jobs holds (so far) and it's not a specific set of moves which reproduce it, though it may be a set of circumstances, though what I'm suspecting is a little difficult to test.

If I encounter the bug, and reproduce those moves, I do not see it again in the same room (so far). So, perhaps it has something to do with reentering the stair room the first time after having completed the previous room (thus completing that level) going towards the exit, and trying to restore to the entrance, at which point the assertion occurs & I'm restored only part of the way back. It might also have something to do with the highscore placement? I suppose it could be just coincidence that the score is a first or first equal, but I do 'r'estore while the highscore and level complete messages are on the screen.

I reencountered the bug again on L16 entrance of Odd Jobs Medium, after returning from a first time completed and first placement 1E.
12-10-2005 at 01:10 AM
StuartK

File: drod.err (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
This bug has been marked as fixed. I'm running the latest install and getting these error messages - I thought I'd written enough to indicate that this is definitely the case.

If it has been fixed, I'd appreciate a message saying so. I can only try something each time I complete a room, so it has been a slow process of information gathering. At this point, now I've completed the 3 Odd Job holds, I can't do any more testing of the same things I've hypothesised, except via a fresh install (assuming I'm not barking up the wrong tree completely)

...which is of course why I posted an incomplete bug reports in this forum - in the hope that someone else can add to it and we have enough data between us to track the problem down.

FWIW, I've attached my complete drod.err
12-12-2005 at 06:19 PM
StuartK
Seen it again, this time in a completed room in Odd Jobs Expert, L61W. Finished the room, exited, reentered, ran towards the first checkpoint, 'r'estored to the start of the room and got the same assertion error, and Beethro only moves only part-way back to the room entrance.

Something to do with restoring in an empty room?

Is noone else encountering the same issue?
12-13-2005 at 11:55 PM
mrimer
Thank you for persisting with reporting back on this bug, Stuart. I figured out what's causing it, and I can't believe it -- it's a problem that could happen to anyone (using 2.0.11) in almost any room. I'm surprised no one else has reported it.

Stuart (and anyone else), would you confirm you can reproduce the bug for me? To reproduce the bug, do the following:
1. Play any room where you touch a checkpoint and then exit to another room.
2. In the new room, expend >X turns, where X is the turn number on which you touched the checkpoint in the first room. Don't touch any checkpoints in the new room while doing this.
3. Press R to restart the room.
You should get the checkpoint assertion error in drod.err and the room should be rewound to turn X instead of the room start.

If this does reproduce the error, then download the attached updated 2.0.11 drod.exe and replace your old one with this one. Try the above steps to confirm the bug is fixed. (If it is fixed, then I will update the patcher, but using the attached .exe is also fine.)

12-14-2005 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Hah! Take that, insane asylum wardens - I was telling the truth!

Verified (and my half baked theories disqualified) and the patch .exe fixed the bug. Thanks :D
12-14-2005 at 01:03 AM
mrimer
Wonderful! I'll get all the 2.0.11 builds uploaded soon.

12-14-2005 at 01:14 AM
StuartK
FWIW, some potential confusion could have been avoided here, were each released .exe given a new version number (or sub-version number) Though I suppose it doesn't really matter when the bugs are cosmetic only.
12-14-2005 at 01:37 AM
mrimer
StuartK wrote:
FWIW, some potential confusion could have been avoided here, were each released .exe given a new version number (or sub-version number) Though I suppose it doesn't really matter when the bugs are cosmetic only.
Sure. When I publish the updated patch (and full versions) I'll just label them 2.0.12 to avoid possible confusion. It has a couple more fixes, so I'd recommend getting it when it's posted.

12-14-2005 at 03:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Checkpoint assertion error
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com