Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The Hydra and the Wizard
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
acidwolf
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
IP: Logged
icon The Hydra and the Wizard (0)  
This new creature, the Hydra, cannot be defeated by a sword. It takes up one square and can move diagonally or normally, but can only be defeated in the same way as a snake.

Another new creature, the Wizard, keeps as far away from you as possible (like a roach queen). Because he is so smart, he does not need a brain to make the best moves. For his attack, every x turns he destroys a random tile on the board. Because of this, sometimes rooms will have to be repeated because the destroyed tiles may make some paths impassable.
07-11-2003 at 11:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
icon Re: The Hydra and the Wizard (0)  
Nonononono! One of the big things that everyone presses here on the FR board is No Randomness. When thinking in DROD terms, Randomness is the Ultimate Evil. We avoid it at all costs, for it can destroy the predictable pattern that is DROD.

The Hydra is OK though.

07-11-2003 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: The Hydra and the Wizard (0)  
acidwolf wrote:
This new creature, the Hydra, cannot be defeated by a sword. It takes up one square and can move diagonally or normally, but can only be defeated in the same way as a snake.
Err... If it can move normally, and you cannot kill it with your sword, then how do you get rid of it? Is it a monster that is always moving forward like a serpent?

Another new creature, the Wizard, keeps as far away from you as possible (like a roach queen). Because he is so smart, he does not need a brain to make the best moves. For his attack, every x turns he destroys a random tile on the board. Because of this, sometimes rooms will have to be repeated because the destroyed tiles may make some paths impassable.
I don't think random removal of tiles is desirable in DROD, as I believe Erik has said somewhere that random behavior in DROD frustrates the player (and the hold creator) because he/she cannot predict which tile will be destroyed.

A suggestion:

The wizard will try to destroy the square Beethro is on every 30 moves, maybe with a glow on the affected square on the 29th move to let the player know about it, so Beethro needs to keep moving in order not to be killed.

07-11-2003 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The Hydra and the Wizard
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com