Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Chaco's Dungeon (my try at dungeon-building)
<<5678
Page 9 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Re: Chaco's Dungeon (0)  
Level 2 1s 1e's stairs end the hold.

Post to be updated with more bugs as they are found.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 12-23-2006 11:52 PM]
12-23-2006 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Oops, I don't know how that happened, since I started a new game and played through the entire hold. Maybe that got reset somehow when I made changes to level 3 1N1E.

Anyway, I fixed that and it'll work in the next segment.

12-23-2006 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Level 4 1w. How??? :~(
12-24-2006 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
This room is a small illustration of a trick I plan to use to greater effect later in the hold.

Click here to view the secret text

12-24-2006 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Level 4 Bombs and Fuses, 2S1E. Is it possible to kill the roach behind the middle yellow door?

edit: cancel that. Blind as a bat as usual.

I just noticed this hold had its first birthday last month and we never had a thread for it. ;)

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 12-27-2006 07:25 PM]
12-27-2006 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I just finished the new first 5 levels. My only real criticism is the number of stairs, which I found confusing. It should be no problem to anyone who takes notes as they play. I didn't notice any real problems - there's a few nice puzzles and not a horde in sight. Long may it remain that way. :)

A few comments off the top of my head..

12-28-2006 at 11:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
It's no secret - mimics are fun :)

The idea behind level 3 2N2E is that now you can't just put the mimics facing straight up, you have to turn their swords appropriately. This was inspired by the Fool's Errand of all places.

Hopefully, the fact that I've got fuses and bombs at my disposal should ease up on the mimic factor. (and I'm thinking of introducing another monster pretty soon, only using roaches is getting a little tricky/gimmicky)

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-28-2006 01:31 PM]
12-28-2006 at 01:30 PM
Brazilkid
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
This Holds was a really good hold kepp up the work

:)

"Who shall win to the battle of doom? The red tellytubbie or the blue Tellytubbie?"

"The world may never know"
01-08-2007 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Brazilkid
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Umm i spelled Hold wrong dont laugh at me

:lol

"Who shall win to the battle of doom? The red tellytubbie or the blue Tellytubbie?"

"The world may never know"
01-08-2007 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Chaco, how is ther next version going? It seems like your topic is dying... >_> <_< >_<

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-31-2007 at 11:41 AM
Chaco
It's going just fine - I'm making good progress on the new sectors.

In fact, I don't think you've even played the four new levels I don't think.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-31-2007 11:45 AM]
01-31-2007 at 11:44 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Did them, found a bug. After the rotary mimic room, the stairs in it end the hold.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

02-01-2007 at 11:49 AM
Chaco
Yeah, that'd be the same one Ezlo found earlier.

You should probably then continue with the other part of level II you haven't played yet.

02-01-2007 at 11:59 AM
Jeff_Ray...
I've completed it now. So, are you expecting an update soon?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

02-04-2007 at 02:47 PM
Chaco
Well, what I'd like is feedback, in the way of rooms you liked, rooms you thought were harder than other rooms in the same section, and suggestions for future ideas.

In the next update, the rotary mimic room is going to be replaced with a room that makes much more sense and is a door puzzle.

There will be another level. I'm still trying to decide whether it should be a scripting level, an evil eye/rock golem level, or possibly a Halph level or something. In the meantime I'm making puzzles for each that should be added to the appropriate levels.

02-04-2007 at 05:06 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Maybe you should use Evil Eyes next.

I have a small suggestion: You should make the level 2 puzzles easier as they seem to be rather hard for a newbie. Even I had trouble through some rooms.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 02-04-2007 09:23 PM]
02-04-2007 at 09:22 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Chaco wrote:
There will be another level. I'm still trying to decide whether[...]
I'd suggest you to use all the TCB features. O:-

(Seriously, are you going to finish this hold before TCB is out?)

[Last edited by Tim at 02-04-2007 09:39 PM]
02-04-2007 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
I myself have indeed asked myself this question, Tim.

I'm of the opinion that I should just make rooms anyway - people seemed to be interested in the fact that larrymurk's Arena 3 used (mostly) Architect's Edition elements.

In fact, I actually have several puzzle ideas, but I want to implement them as smoothly as possible, and also possibly have a story. I have, of course, given up on the ridiculous idea of a thirty-level dungeon I outlined in the first draft, but ideally I want a hold that provides entertainment for at least a week or two.

02-04-2007 at 09:53 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Alright, so any news on level 6? Any ideas on the theme yet?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

02-16-2007 at 09:13 PM
Chaco
Level 5 is almost done. I'm busy making puzzles on that level and the previous level.

The theme for level 5 is Golems and Crumbly Walls. There's actually a pretty amazing amount of things you can do with crumbly walls, and it seemed natural to group the two "rocky things you smash with your sword" items together.

I'll be more specific about exactly what else I've changed when the next update is released, which should be pretty soon. I'm not going to name a date, though, because I'll end up missing it by a longshot.

02-16-2007 at 11:22 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Good. Any plans when you will introduce the queens?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

02-17-2007 at 05:35 PM
Chaco
icon Re: Chaco's Dungeon (+2)  
Due to the extremely new news about TCB going to be released really, really soon, I've decided to just finish this up so I can release it, hopefully before TCB comes out and everyone is all busy playing that.

This is probably the final version before I submit this to the new Hold Administrator upload-process and, later, the Holds board.

First things first - You will notice there is no warp room anymore. This is to encourage all of you to start at the beginning and play all the way through to the end.

LIST OF CHANGES

The Prologue and the first level have been renamed to be consistent with previous themes.

Prologue: Once North has been changed somewhat so it's less confusing and intimidating - you now are totally isolated from the prisoners and guards, and the room is just cleaner now.

Prologue: Twice North has been changed only aesthetically.

Crumbly walls have been removed from all levels bar the last.

Level I: Twice South has been changed to be more forgiving and a bit more puzzly (albeit not much)

Level II: Once South Once East has been replaced with a puzzle that is loosely based on King Dugan's Dungeon, level 15, but is much, much more interesting.

Level III: Quarce North Once East has been updated so it's easier to tell whether you've solved the room or not. The puzzle has not been compromised in this process.

Level IV is finished and has a new wing of bomb puzzles. I tried to experiment with a new "area" idea, and I think it worked out pretty well.

Level V is a solid (ha ha, pun) level that uses golems and crumbly walls in many ways. I think you will all like it a lot.

The Epilogue is a small story summary that wraps up the hold, and leaves room for me to continue the plotline later in a TCB hold, if I feel like it.

The level of tar puzzles has been moved behind a master wall, and renamed "Glop and Growth".

All ten levels of my previous endeavor have been preserved behind a master wall, but the secret status of the hidden rooms has been removed, obviously.

So, play through the entire hold, tell me what you like, and what you don't like. And especially tell me if there's anything that makes this hold impossible to complete.

In a few days, I'll submit this hold to the Hold Administrator process, unless someone finds a bug that I have to fix.

02-20-2007 at 10:00 PM
Chaco
Update!

I've been thinking about what Jacob said about this hold basically being two holds in one. As always, he is definitely right. It's a good thing I remembered.

So, if you're playing through the old levels post-master wall, forget about it - that's basically a hold in its own right, albeit a lesser-quality hold that relies more on hack and slash for difficulty as opposed to the puzzles in this hold.

Therefore, I'm decoupling the ten (eleven, really) levels of the original Chaco's Dungeon from this level of puzzles. That way, I can submit two holds to the Hold Administrator process instead of one, and people can choose between a short but sweet hold with puzzles, or a longer hack and slash filled hold. The tar puzzle level (Glop and Growth, not Halls of Goo) will, of course, remain behind the master wall of the puzzle hold.

Eighteen levels, 384 rooms, and thousands of monsters was giving the puzzle hold a bad name.

So, review the puzzle hold, possibly review the hack and slash hold if you have time, and make sure to post feedback.

I'm deciding to submit the two holds to the HA process on Sunday evening, February 25th. Five more days in addition to the time you've already spent should be fine.

Thank you all for your immense patience with this project.

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-22-2007 09:47 PM]
02-22-2007 at 09:45 PM
Tim
So, which hold is which, and where is it?
02-22-2007 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
This is confusing, yeah, so I'll go attach the hold in the first post and remove the hold I just attached a few posts ago.

02-22-2007 at 10:40 PM
Chaco
The final hold which I'd like everyone to test for bugs is in the first post. I've manually copied the levels which I'm keeping into a new hold, then set all the stairs to go to where they're supposed to.

Sorry for the confusion and possible waste of time.

02-22-2007 at 11:53 PM
Tim
I need a hint for L2:3S.

Oh, and I don't understand L2:2S1W. I've done the mimic puzzle there, only to discover that it's not needed :?

02-24-2007 at 09:53 PM
Chaco
Thrice South is an interesting display of monster move order.

The solution - hit the orb twice to raise the wall so the roaches split up, then hit it again and backswipe everything.

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-24-2007 10:07 PM]
02-24-2007 at 10:01 PM
Tim
I think it's the backswipe part that I don't get.

I should store some of them in the corners, right?

Got it. No real backswiping used though. Good room.
02-24-2007 at 10:14 PM
Tim

File: CH Level III 2N1E.demo (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's an unintended solution.
02-24-2007 at 11:00 PM
<<5678
Page 9 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Chaco's Dungeon (my try at dungeon-building)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com