Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Chaco's Dungeon (my try at dungeon-building)
Page 3 of 10
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
IP: Logged
icon Re: Chaco's Dungeon (+1)  
Yeah, that one did get pretty nasty. You're lucky I gave you that force arrow at all, the previous version had you pushing it against the entrance.

Click here to view the secret text

It gets a lot easier once you know how.

01-06-2006 at 11:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Chaco's Dungeon (0)  
Finally did it.

Here is a hint for all those who can't get it:

01-06-2006 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Is VI1W possible? There seems to be no place to put the second snake.

EDIT: Same for the secret room VI1N2W

[Last edited by coppro at 01-06-2006 06:27 PM]
01-06-2006 at 06:22 PM
Chaco
VI 1W:

Look closely, there is a place you can kill the snake. I probably should have made it more obvious, however. In fact, I'll do that in the next release.

VI 1N2W:

You're correct, but the room is solvable.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-06-2006 08:32 PM]
01-06-2006 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Chaco, your hold is awesome. Extremely difficult, but just because you can't see something, and not just because you are bad ant fending off 53 different hordes of monsters from 76 directions.

[Last edited by coppro at 01-06-2006 08:43 PM]
01-06-2006 at 08:42 PM
Chaco
Well, I think I've only done three directions, not four yet. But I'm saving the "Suddenly, a wooden plank in the staircase gave way, and Beethro fell onto the floor of the next level" for a later level entrance.

Anyway, yes, there are some very tricky puzzles here, but I think for the most part they're not too difficult, and at least somewhat original. Unlike some other holds I've seen.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-06-2006 09:20 PM]
01-06-2006 at 09:19 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Haha, it can't be extremely difficult as I've managed to finish the 6 levels.

Chaco, where's these few rooms on level 7? All I have is two rooms only available from the editor. Or have I misunderstood?

Nice hold for me.
01-07-2006 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
There are 5 rooms total, 3 of which are actually puzzles. He plans to add the rest in later.
01-07-2006 at 01:06 AM
bandit1200
That's odd, I already had the latest version, but I still only see two rooms in the editor for level 7.

Edit: I just imported the same version from my original download directory, and now I see 6 rooms for level 7, but only in the editor.

Edit: Removed reference to SFE's hold

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 01-07-2006 07:46 AM]
01-07-2006 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Yes, there are 6 rooms for level 7 currently, and you can access them all in regular play.

01-07-2006 at 04:14 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Level V was okay, thank you.

Level VI was something I'm not quite sure of. Why is it that I found the rooms getting easier the further the level progresses?

Level VII haven't tried yet. Except that it's possible to finish 2W with lots of diagonal moves.

Oh, and you've make it possible to kill guards in the first level again ;)

-- Tim

01-08-2006 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Chaco wrote:
Yes, there are 6 rooms for level 7 currently, and you can access them all in regular play.
I couldn't access them, but it seems I am having a problem importing holds. I had to rename the newest version before it would import properly. *Now* I can get to level 7.

Time for a fresh installion of JtRH, and everything else, come to that.
01-08-2006 at 05:39 AM
Chaco
Tim wrote:
Level VI was something I'm not quite sure of. Why is it that I found the rooms getting easier the further the level progresses?

Oh, and you've make it possible to kill guards in the first level again ;)

-- Tim

Which wing did you take? I thought some of the later Snakes puzzles were harder than the earlier ones, but maybe not. I checked the Ladders wing difficulty pretty thoroughly too.

EDIT:

Fixed the vulnerable guards issue. You just like killing people, don't you?

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-08-2006 02:32 PM]
01-08-2006 at 02:26 PM
Tim
Chaco wrote:
Which wing did you take? I thought some of the later Snakes puzzles were harder than the earlier ones, but maybe not. I checked the Ladders wing difficulty pretty thoroughly too.
I thought the last ladder room quite out of place, since I did that part first... L6 1N1W was also quite hard in my opinion, unless I missed something obvious. And I found the 1 serpent + 1 rattlesnake rooms quite easy, but that might be me. ;) Quite nice tricks though. (I must say that I'm a bit allergic to serpent levels at this moment...)
Fixed the vulnerable guards issue. You just like killing people, don't you?
No, it's called "testing". Of course, it's elementary if you know some architects and how they make holds ;)

What I wanted to say was that in L7 2W, all roaches can be killed using the mimic. (but that's more or less a challenge)

-- Tim

01-11-2006 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Oh. Yeah. Silly me. An eye on a force arrow should "fix" that. The rooms are already supposed to be "challenges" so there's no point in making it harder on yourself by making it easier :)

01-11-2006 at 01:47 AM
Tim
Chaco wrote:
Oh. Yeah. Silly me. An eye on a force arrow should "fix" that.
I'd love to see your "fix" :D (if you think that's gonna help) I mean, on which arrow do you want to put an eye on?

[Last edited by Tim at 01-11-2006 12:30 PM]
01-11-2006 at 11:51 AM
Chaco
Well, I was thinking of replacing one of the pillars, or else it'd break the challenge.

01-12-2006 at 02:26 AM
Chaco
An update: No, I haven't forgotten about my project. On the contrary, I've been working on it for quite a while. I've just been strapped for ideas as of late, and you all know how it takes a while to playtest and revise rooms to make sure they're *just* right.

Anyway, sit tight. I'm hoping to release the newest version in a week or so.

02-08-2006 at 05:47 PM
Chaco
After much architecting, Level VII is finally available in all of its glory. Yes, it's quite a big level. I had a lot of ideas for mimic puzzles :)

Anyway, I'm putting the hold file in the first post. Less scrolling, ya know?

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-25-2006 04:35 AM]
02-25-2006 at 04:33 AM
coppro
*Dance for joy!*
02-25-2006 at 03:12 PM
Chaco
A new version has been uploaded. A slight typo was made in 2N2W, and I changed a few things. Mostly cosmetic, though.

EDIT:

I realised I forgot to export the hold before uploading it. As a reward for my stupidity, there's a small preview of the eighth level too.

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-25-2006 05:46 PM]
02-25-2006 at 03:44 PM
bandit1200
You kept it fun! Thank you.

Level 7, 3E. The mimic can be ignored until the mothers and offspring have been dealt with.

L7 1N, 3E. I think I may have taken the long way round, but I really enjoyed this one. I didn't restart at any time and it took me about 1 hour. It won't next time, if there is one.

The secret room. I'm finding the SW part impossible. Gizacloo.

And most importantly, when I imported the hold, there were no saved games. I had to start all over again.
02-26-2006 at 08:45 PM
Chaco
*smacks self* And the whole idea was to keep the mimic untrapped.

I'll fix this in the next version (not right now, but when level 8 is released)

Regarding the secret room, there are missing orthosquares in *exactly* the right spots.

02-26-2006 at 10:56 PM
bandit1200
Chaco wrote:Regarding the secret room, there are missing orthosquares in *exactly* the right spots.
And as soon as I read that, I knew exactly where it would be. Certainly made it much easier. :)
Any idea why this update is seen as a new hold? I can play two copies of Chaco's Dungeon now.
02-27-2006 at 08:49 AM
Chaco
Very odd. I have no explanation for this.

Luckily, the warp room and Anyone-Edit status makes this quite moot.

02-28-2006 at 01:02 AM
bandit1200
Is the secret room on level 3 still possible since you changed it? I can manage the bottom half and one side of the top, but after that I get overwhelmed. To be honest, I eventually got bored of trying and gave up.
02-28-2006 at 06:13 PM
Chaco
Yes, it's still possible. I tried it last night - it's just harder. It might be too hard in relation to the other secret rooms though. I might change it to be easier, but I think it's a reasonable challenge. You just have to watch your back - and your side too.

02-28-2006 at 09:08 PM
bandit1200
I'll take your word for it. It's not interesting enough for me to raise my already high blood pressure. :)
03-01-2006 at 07:00 AM
Tim
Finished that L3 secret room. Fun.

Also finished the trapdoor secret room. That was just so not fair! :)

There's something strange in L7 3E (or I might be just very stupid...) ;)

-- Tim

Edit: Just read the previous posts (L73E is intended...) :P

[Last edited by Tim at 03-04-2006 10:24 PM]
03-04-2006 at 09:46 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
My comments:
Level I: Top Prison: Entrance the guard on the left moves before the one on the right.
Level I: Top Prison: 1N the guards don't open the door for you.
Level V: Eye Don't Know: 1N, 2W the floor is bad. It is really annoying to have to guess where the EE is looking. Another example of this sort of thing is found here. Also it's tedious, but it's a good enough room to keep.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-05-2006 04:00 AM]
03-05-2006 at 03:55 AM
Page 3 of 10
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Chaco's Dungeon (my try at dungeon-building)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com