Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : request: paste same thing more than once
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
IP: Logged
icon request: paste same thing more than once (0)  

In the room editor if you copy something and paste it, then try to paste it a second time, it doesn't work. You have to copy it again. You should be able to repeatedly paste the same thing until you copy something else.
07-10-2003 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: request: paste same thing more than once (0)  
That sounds like a good idea -- but you click to paste -- what might you do to say you want to stop pasting?

[Edited by mrimer on 07-10-2003 at 04:31 AM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-10-2003 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
icon Re: Re: request: paste same thing more than once (0)  
ahh... I didn't realize that, I was stuck in the way I'm accustomed to things working and assumed I had to be holding CTRL-V when I clicked in order for it to paste... I never even tried it without pressing CTRL-V! That explains some weird behavior I thought was a bug :)

The way I expected it to work was that if I held CTRL-V and clicked, whatever was most recently copied got pasted. But I don't know if that's how it should work. I only expected that because CTRL-V is the conventinal partner to CTRL-C, which doesn't necesarily mean it's a good design.

Another idea is to stay in paste mode until you right-click. But then there should be some visual indication that you are in paste mode.

Then again, using a modifyer on the click to do a paste allows you do to other editing, and later on paste the thing again.
07-10-2003 at 04:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Yeah -- maybe pressing Ctrl-V while clicking to paste an arbitrary number of times would be a clean-cut solution. How about we try that.

As to an indicator -- we could highlight or outline the selected region with some kind of glow or something, but I'm worried about ending up with too many glowing things in the room at a time. That it might get confusing for some users, that is.

07-10-2003 at 05:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
If there were some intuitive way to make clear that you were about to paste, I don't think a highlight or outline would be too cluttering.

I've run up against this problem repeatedly recently, certain users will desire a feature that introduces complexity, while other users can't handle that complexity... I don't know an easy way to deal with it.
07-10-2003 at 05:41 AM
mrimer
I've decided the click while holding Ctrl-V is really klunky. So how about just press Ctrl-V, and it will paste starting at the square your mouse cursor is currently over. You could do it an arbitrary number of times.

07-10-2003 at 07:13 PM
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: request: paste same thing more than once (0)  
mrimer wrote:
I've decided the click while holding Ctrl-V is really klunky. So how about just press Ctrl-V, and it will paste starting at the square your mouse cursor is currently over. You could do it an arbitrary number of times.

Sounds OK, but I don't like that we absolutely rely on mouse-keyboard combinations. That doesn't mean it's not workable, I just don't see a mouse only alternative that remains true to whatever interface convention you're using. I also don't like that pasting doesn't require a positive mouse click, either before or after the paste. But if I'm in a minority of one I'll live with whatever you choose - it's not that often I need to copy+paste something.

FWIW Other alternatives would include pressing Ctrl-V or a 'paste' button then clicking where you want to paste. Or having a room cursor seperate from the selection, so you could define an area for copying, select the destination, then press Ctrl-V, or the onscreen paste button (similar to how copy-paste works in other software I've used e.g. text editors)

Additionally to whatever you choose above, how about a right-click context menu with a short time delay before appearing? This would display available functions like delete (default) define selection area, paste etc if you hold the button down for half a second? That'd suit me fine.

[Edited by StuartK on 07-10-2003 at 08:14 PM]
07-10-2003 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
All right! I think I've got a good system for this going now. So here's the new system.

Hitting Ctrl-C while the mouse is selecting a room region will mark that region for duplication (as before). After that, hitting Ctrl-V will highlight that region, indicating that on the next mouse click the region will be duplicated to where the mouse clicked. Ctrl-V can be struck at any time (followed by the mouse click to copy) to recopy the previously region an arbitrary number of times.

It seems to work great.

07-11-2003 at 04:51 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : request: paste same thing more than once
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com