Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : WonderQuest (A Turn based Puzzle/Strategy game..)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
IP: Logged
icon WonderQuest (+6)  
Hello, my name is Gustavo Broering Duarte. I’m a game programmer From Brazil.

I am programming a puzzle game in the style of the beloved DROD(thanks to all drod.net guys and Erik H. for the opportunity to post this message here, and for his masterpiece). This project is almost done. it contains near 100 features, including bombs, laser ray, roaches, archers, boxes, potions, forests, rivers, acid, magic balls, lava, etc. and a lot of different heroes to play, each with its own way of fighting. The project is huge, and is almost complete.

This game is totally free for download!!

I had already posted a message in this forum some months ago, but i had to put a stop on this project. (I left some messages unanswered, I’m sorry) Now I’m back with an updated version, better graphics, sound and improved gameplay.

Here are some screenshots:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/wonderquest/WonderQuest/sc6.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/wonderquest/WonderQuest/sc5.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/wonderquest/WonderQuest/sc4.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/wonderquest/WonderQuest/sc3.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/wonderquest/WonderQuest/sc2.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/wonderquest/WonderQuest/sc1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/wonderquest/WonderQuest/70bd6893.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/wonderquest/WonderQuest/478a3979.jpg

The help I need is:

-Playtesters.
-Any other contribution, including graphics, animations, music, sound, webpage creation, etc. anything to improve its quality is welcome.

Some notes to testers:

The game is still being coded, bad ideas will be removed and good ideas will take its place, so any encouraging opinion is welcome.

If you are stuck don’t hesitate to ask for help. The more feedback, the better.

To download go to:

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=9120

Long life to free games, Long life to Shareware! Long Life to puzzle games!

[Last edited by googa at 02-09-2006 01:01 AM]
11-11-2005 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: WonderQuest (0)  
This looks really great! I'd like to give it a try, so please sign me up as a tester. erikh@caravelgames.com

-Erik

11-11-2005 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Erik, it's a great honnor for me to have you as a tester, because you gave me countless hours of fun with drod. :-)
A beta version will be uploaded within some days. I will soon publish the link.
Thanks.
11-11-2005 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
I'll sign up for some tester action. I'm very curious to see how this project has come along.

11-11-2005 at 10:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
It does look great.
I hope water is added to DROD as it looks good in your screenshots.

No doubt I'll take a look if you post this game. I also like the idea of a ranged weapon (boomerang).
11-11-2005 at 12:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I'm willing to give it a whirl... I'll even have some free time week after next as we have thanksgiving break coming up.

11-11-2005 at 01:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Looks really cool as far as I can tell from screenshots. Sign me in.

11-11-2005 at 02:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zaubberer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 251
hi together,

i would like to test this too. there are planned versions in other languages than english? so i could try to translate to german :smile

zaubberer
:wizard
11-11-2005 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
googa
The game is in english Zaubberer. But a German version can be Released in the future.

Within 2 or 3 days i will upload a beta version containing the first 4 levels.

Thanks.
11-11-2005 at 08:58 PM
googa
icon Re: WonderQuest (+1)  
I want to tell you guys the Wonderquest history:

It's about a group of people:

A sailor from Denmark,
A teenager from Germany
A beggar from US
A priest from Brazil
A millionaire from UK
A Greenpeace activist from France
A Scientist from China
An Aborigine from Australia
A Trekker from Russia

All these people live their normal lives in their countries. Suddenly, they wake up
in a strange forest, encounteri each other and decide to stay together trying to discover what is happening.

It's like the TV series Lost. Or a movie that some of you may know, called CUBE.

All the history is about their conflicts, fight for survival, lots of mystery and puzzle solving.

Each of the heroes above have their own way of fighting, their special abilities, pros and cons.

And the end?

Fight your way through more than 15 hardcore puzzle levels to discover.

[Last edited by googa at 03-22-2006 06:06 PM]
11-13-2005 at 03:20 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
This game does sound very promising.
How big a download would it be?
11-13-2005 at 03:54 AM
googa
7 mb for the beta, aprox 12mb for the full game.
11-13-2005 at 04:25 AM
stigant
It's like the TV series Lost. Or a movie that some of you may know, called CUBE.
Oh, yeah, I've seen CUBE... I caught it a couple of years ago on Sci Fi Channel. It was pretty interesting. The sequel, however, was terrible.

11-13-2005 at 04:27 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
googa wrote:
It's quite a challenge for me to write all the history in English, some grammatical errors may occur.. But I will do it.

I could revise the script if you want.

11-13-2005 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
I could betatest it too if ye want.
11-13-2005 at 04:41 PM
googa
Thank all you guys for the help.

I am fixing some last hour minor bugs, anyone feel free to correct the game text when playing.

As long as I finish the beta version, I will upload it.

CUBE is a cool movie; there are actually 2 sequels, both horrible.

The great mystery of the game is that nobody knows what is going on. Is it a government experience? An Alien planet? A dream?

11-13-2005 at 07:02 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Are you going to upload it here, or are you putting it somewhere for a few people only?

This game sounds very interesting. If it does not take too much time I think I will take a look at it. :)

(Oh.. I remember I got the Cube movie as a present... And I still haven't watch it... :?)

[Last edited by Tim at 11-13-2005 08:01 PM]
11-13-2005 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Depends on the girl. Some chicks aren't romantically influenced after watching a man chopped up into cubelets by a wire mesh.

Go figure.

-Erik

11-13-2005 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I've played through the first 1.5 levels or so, and this looks great! The English in the game is a little sloppy, but I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to go through and fix that all up. (Perhaps just editing the quest file in a text editor would work, since all the comments seem to be in there. That would be easier than going through the game itself).

Its quite hard to comment after knowing all the features of DROD (aah! why can't I see what that orb does! why can't I go back one turn!) but I'm definitely looking forward to playing through the rest of these levels and finding out all these great new features!
11-14-2005 at 01:04 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Initially, looks very nice. I don't have a keyboard, so it is very nice that you have another key configuration available.

It would be a huge help for me (and probably many others) if there could be an option for the player to reassign all the keys to their liking.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 11-14-2005 01:39 AM]
11-14-2005 at 01:37 AM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
I love it! I have to say that my favorite new feature would be the additional characters, or those moving arrows. Amazing so far.

Are we allowed to ask for hints? Because I am not quite figuring out where to get the third box on the level three entrance...

HAHAH. Nevermind. It doesn't have to be a box on the switches...

[Last edited by cheese obsessive at 11-14-2005 03:54 AM]
11-14-2005 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
So far so good... although I had to download winRAR to unzip it... but I probably ought to have a RAR utility anyway.

Here are some preliminary suggestions/complaints:
speed up the movement rate, at least when you press and hold a movement key.
the screen shakes everytime I kill a roach. That's going to get really annoying really quickly.

Also, is there a stall button? (nevermind - found the scroll that tells you to use 'x'... you might want to put that nearer the beginning of the quest)

[Last edited by stigant at 11-14-2005 03:03 AM]
11-14-2005 at 02:53 AM
cheese obsessive
stigant wrote:
So far so good... although I had to download winRAR to unzip it... but I probably ought to have a RAR utility anyway.

Here are some preliminary suggestions/complaints:
speed up the movement rate, at least when you press and hold a movement key.
the screen shakes everytime I kill a roach. That's going to get really annoying really quickly.

Also, is there a stall button? (nevermind - found the scroll that tells you to use 'x'... you might want to put that nearer the beginning of the quest)

You can turn off the shaking from the options menu.

And about some of the controls:

You should give all of the keyboard controls at the beginning of the level, because some I didn't know about until towards the end. (undo = spacebar, map = enter, wait = x)

You have created some really fun and interesting challenges, by the way. My favorite room so far is probably in level three, the 'arrow-ball race' room. I think it is 4N2E, or something around there, but it was quite fun. I really look forward to the other 17+ levels. Awesome work, so far.
11-14-2005 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
What audience are you aiming this for? DROD fans wanting something different, all new people, or someone else?

11-14-2005 at 05:30 AM
stigant
You can turn off the shaking from the options menu.
Oh thank goodness! ;-)

Are the controls also configurable? If not, I'd like to request that they be configurable in the next version. I'm not criticizing you for being different from DROD, however, I think objectively, it makes more sense for the stall key to be 5. The other keys are fine (so far).

I love the moving arrows. Its been mentioned several times in the drod feature requests that things like conveyer belts that move you around involuntarily won't work very well, but I think they're wrong. As long as you know how the belt is going to move you, you can plan for it.

11-14-2005 at 02:33 PM
googa
Here goes the key config:

V = rotate clockwise
C = rotate counter-clockwise
X = Wait
Z = Special (Each hero have a different special, Later levels)
SPACE = Undo
B = Battle button

Is anyone using the battle button? I suggest you guys try it.
The key configuration option is planned for further releases.
Anyone Mattcrampy, I won’t get a penny with this.

Cheese Obsessive, I can’t believe you rushed to the end of the third level quickly this way. I thought the box puzzles were a bit too hard for rushing.

11-14-2005 at 04:21 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I wanna create levels! I like DROD! I like even more the clones!

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 11-14-2005 04:34 PM]
11-14-2005 at 04:33 PM
stigant
I tried it in the room that mentioned it. However, I find it less intuitive to use than the ctrl+move that DROD has. I think the problem is that you have to think about what your last move was rather than what your next move should be. This means that you have to shift mental-gears (from forward thinking to reverse thinking and then back again). Whereas in DROD, you keep thinking forwards all the time.

A thought about Roach Queens:
WQ's are slightly different from DROD's. If you line up with a queen horizontally/vertically, the queen in WQ will move diagonally away from you. I believe it chooses to move the direction that you are moving in. For example:
B********     *********
*******Q* =>  *B*******
*********     ********Q

but

*********     ********Q
*******Q* =>  *B*******
B********     *********

I don't think its inherently bad this way... just an observation. It makes it much easier to manipulate roach queens. In DROD, you can't catch up to a diagonally moving queen, but in WQ you can.

[Last edited by stigant at 11-14-2005 04:49 PM]
11-14-2005 at 04:42 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: WonderQuest (+2)  
Gustavo, this is really a fine game. I like it a lot!

Miscellaneous thoughts:

* I'm happy that you added many of your own ideas to make Wonderquest more than just a DROD clone. You've got quite a few new game elements here. The new characters are especially cool. If some developer goes through all the work to write a game, I really want him to make something new and different so that his effort is put to best use. I think you've done that.

* I'm envious of the fullscreen room view which looks great.

* The music and ambient sounds are really well done.

* The levels are quite fun and show that you are paying attention to what the player should know at each point. Very smooth difficulty scale here, although I think you may want to make rooms slightly easier to bring in players outside the DROD crowd. Remember that people here are like Jedi Knights of DROD puzzles and they will blaze through hard rooms that others give up on. If you want to aim at a wider audience, I'd say get testers that play other puzzle games but not DROD and see what they say.

* I'm not sure how the levels accompanying specials will work since I haven't tried them yet, but it suggests an upcoming design problem I had with DROD. If you have a power-up (special) that lasts beyond one room then rooms where the power-up may be used must either require the power-up or not require it for a solution. If the room doesn't require the power-up, then you've effectively made a way to cheat the intended solution of the room, perhaps trivially. On the other hand, if the room requires the power-up then other problems come up. For the power-ups to be interesting, there must be some opportunity to incorrectly use them. With multiple places where a power-up could be used, you might have the "Tower of the Sorceror" problem where a misuse of your resources requires restoring far back in the game to the point where you misused it (and then replaying all the same rooms again). So I'm interested to see how you handle this. Perhaps the key is creating levels where you can see all or most of the possible places where specials may be needed before you must commit to using a special.

* It looks like you hit another design dilemma with the player movement. If you immediately move sprites into squares, it looks a little old and simple, like one of those text mode games, i.e. ZZT or 'Merican. If you slow down the updates so that the sprites move smoothly into squares, it looks better, but plays sluggishly. I think that the current amount of time that you have for moving sprites is a good default, but it would be better to allow players to set the movement delay to instantaneous. You have a setting for it, but the fastest setting "0" doesn't mean sprites will move instantaneously. DROD vets and your more dedicated players will gravitate towards the instantaneous movement, I believe.

* I thought the "bingo" joke was out of place. I wasn't offended by it, but some people would be, and it doesn't add much to the game.

* The game could be greatly improved with better graphics. I'm sure you know that, since you've already asked for artistic help. One thing you might want to plan for early on is changing the rendering code for walls so that it allows for more visual variety, i.e. multiple tiles. It doesn't matter how good your art is--if you've only got one tile for walls, those solid blocks of wall will look boring. On the other hand, I'm not sure how ambitious you want to get about the appearance of the game.

* Here is one problem with DROD that is too late for us to fix, but in Wonderquest you might be able to do something about it: Monsters in both our games move in a predetermined sequence which is probably dependent on the order they were placed in the editor. This is hidden information that creates unpredictable behavior, i.e. in a group of roaches moving towards the player, some early-moving roaches will bump off of late-moving roaches. A fix for this is to order the sequence of movement based on how close monsters are to the player. Closer monsters move first and further monsters move a bit later into the empty space created by the closer monster's previous movement. So you get nice tight formations of monsters with which the player may easily predict and form strategies.

I'm stuck on a 3rd level room that I'll post separately about. It's been a lot of fun to play.

-Erik

11-14-2005 at 08:29 PM
cheese obsessive
googa wrote:
Here goes the key config:

V = rotate clockwise
C = rotate counter-clockwise
X = Wait
Z = Special (Each hero have a different special, Later levels)
SPACE = Undo
B = Battle button

The key configuration option is planned for further releases.
Anyone Mattcrampy, I won’t get a penny with this.

Cheese Obsessive, I can’t believe you rushed to the end of the third level quickly this way. I thought the box puzzles were a bit too hard for rushing.

Oh yes. Some of those box puzzles were quite unforgiving, and I haven't beat them all yet. The entrance to level three made me think, "Oh great. Now it is just going to turn into a sokoban clone." But it is FAR from sokoban. I didn't think boxes would work in a DROD-type game, but oh, they do. :D

Can I suggest more check points in general? It would make level three less frustrating, in my opinion. And also restarting from the same checkpoint more than once. Like, you step on a checkpoint. Then you step on it again later, realizing you messed something up. But instead of going through the whole level again, I want to restart at the first time I hit the checkpoint.
11-14-2005 at 08:34 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : WonderQuest (A Turn based Puzzle/Strategy game..)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com