Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "Contests" subforum and some readability stuff
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon "Contests" subforum and some readability stuff (+6)  
Hey

At the moment, there are 10 contest-related topics on the first page of "General" subforum.

At the same time, sticky topics blend with other topics too easily.

If you're not interested in neither contests nor reading stickies over and over, you quickly come to conclusion that General forum has degenerated. It's damn hard to find something "general" there. "General" forum is no longer a friendly place.
------------

My suggestions:

- separate forum for contests. Contests are already well-established part of this forum, and generate lots of topics on their own.
- remove the "sticky" icon, and make it so sticky topics have a bit different background color. It would make them stand out much better; it would also be easier to find non-sticky topics with new posts.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 11-10-2005 10:33 AM]
11-10-2005 at 10:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: "Contests" subforum and some readability stuff (+2)  
You've opened my eyes, B0rsuk. We will make a separate "Contests" board soon.

-Erik

11-10-2005 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: "Contests" subforum and some readability stuff (0)  
Cheers, Erik, that is much clearer now.

As for 'sticky messages', a necessary 'evil' in most cases.

I'm not saying the same could be done here, but on some of my forums, messages which are validly sticky can be de-stickiefied (?) after a while.

11-11-2005 at 01:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
jamie wrote:
I'm not saying the same could be done here, but on some of my forums, messages which are validly sticky can be de-stickiefied (?) after a while.
Um...of course. We do it all the time. Contest threads are stickied for the duration of the contest and then un-stickied. Other stickied threads are meant to stay stickied. People are free to point out threads that they think shouldn't be stickied anymore, and we can decide if they are right or not.

It's not automatic, but most of those with the ability to stick and unstick are quite active on the forum anyway.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-11-2005 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Yeah fair enough.. I wasn't saying it wasn't being done, just pointing out to b0rsuk that stickies don't have to be stickies forever.

11-11-2005 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: "Contests" subforum and some readability stuff (+1)  
But still, a different background color would be nice to make them stand out. This was mostly a problem in General before the split, but still, you have read over the moderation sticky every time you read a thread in general, since it blends in with the rest of the forum.
11-11-2005 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
The new backgrounds for stickies are certainly readable, but they make the forum really ugly. Maybe something that clashes less with the blue, like purple?

11-11-2005 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
eytanz wrote:
The new backgrounds for stickies are certainly readable, but they make the forum really ugly. Maybe something that clashes less with the blue, like purple?
I don't find them readable at all. They show up as black for me, which means I usually can't read the subtitle in its dark blue.

(The background is gray in the DROD.net style, which is quite readable, but I agree a different shade of blue would probably be more aesthetic and stylistically consistent, and also do the job.)

Edit: Never mind. Apparently it was a cache issue. Refresh fixed it, so now it's the same gray.

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 11-11-2005 08:33 PM]
11-11-2005 at 08:32 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: "Contests" subforum and some readability stuff (+2)  
Try a hard refresh - your CSS didn't get refreshed.

11-11-2005 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Good work on the sticky colour there, Schik - not too obtrusive, but they stand out nevertheless.

11-12-2005 at 01:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Mattcrampy wrote:
Good work on the sticky colour there, Schik - not too obtrusive, but they stand out nevertheless.
Thank Erik, not me. He's the man in charge of color. And colour.

11-12-2005 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Just a small note: If someone uses other skin than Caravelnet (The original is only other one at the moment), sticky posts look a little ugly.

I don't think that's a big problem, though. Many people don't propably use the old style.
11-12-2005 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Patient: "Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do 'this'"
Doctor: "Don't do that, then."

11-13-2005 at 12:46 AM
Doom
That's the same as saying:

Person 1: "I want to use the old style, because it brings me memories, but it hurts my eyes because of the bad sticky color."
Person 2: "It's just a decoration. You're not supposed to actually use it."

Would it be a terrible idea to remove the special color for different styles or make own special colors for them?
11-13-2005 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...actually, this thread has made me switch back to the original style. And I'm finding it's a lot easier on the eyes.
11-13-2005 at 06:54 PM
jamie
icon Re: "Contests" subforum and some readability stuff (+1)  
Doom wrote:
That's the same as saying:

Person 1: "I want to use the old style, because it brings me memories, but it hurts my eyes because of the bad sticky color."
Person 2: "It's just a decoration. You're not supposed to actually use it."

Nooooooooooo! I wasn't saying that as a serious response, your post just reminded me of that old joke, that's all!

11-13-2005 at 10:43 PM
Schik
Doom wrote:
Would it be a terrible idea to remove the special color for different styles or make own special colors for them?
I don't want to go down the road of making every single thing customizable, mostly because it sounds like a lot of work, and I don't think many people would use it. But... if you want to give me a color that will work well for stickies on the old style, I'd be happy to change it. Obviously, I just took the color Erik made for the CaravelNet skin and used it on both skins.

Banjooie wrote:
...actually, this thread has made me switch back to the original style. And I'm finding it's a lot easier on the eyes.
Wow, really? I tried it just to look at the sticky color, and I was amazed at how much I didn't like it any more. I didn't really like the CaravelNet skin all that much at first, but after using it this long, I just couldn't go back to the other one...

11-14-2005 at 01:55 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'm with Schik - switching to the old style made me realize that while the new style has its flaws, it's certainly better.

11-14-2005 at 04:48 AM
jamie
Ditto. I prefer the new style too, even though I like the 'aqua' colours of the old style, they made me feel cold... Brrrr

11-14-2005 at 01:47 PM
Doom
Schik wrote:
Doom wrote:
I don't want to go down the road of making every single thing customizable, mostly because it sounds like a lot of work, and I don't think many people would use it. But... if you want to give me a color that will work well for stickies on the old style, I'd be happy to change it. Obviously, I just took the color Erik made for the CaravelNet skin and used it on both skins.
No, no, no. I wasn't talking about customizing. Just changing the gray from the old style to have it's own sticky color. I see there's now a different shade of blue. It's certainly better than grey.

I think I'm going to try the old style for a while. Just for variety, you know.

edit: Ok, that little while didn't last long... The new style looks so much better after you've gotten used to it. Although I remember how the current style looked too colorless (or something like that) in the beginning :)

[Last edited by Doom at 11-14-2005 07:58 PM]
11-14-2005 at 05:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "Contests" subforum and some readability stuff
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com