Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Truthbringers (Our contest for November.)
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged

File: Map.JPG (72.5 KB)
Downloaded 230 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Truthbringers (+1)  
The Story:
Click here to view the secret text

The Truthbringers for this game are:

The Goal:

The Rules:

Winning:

Analyzing the Map:

Social Strategies

If you don't see your 5 private clues yet, that's because I haven't sent them to you yet. I'll make a post after I've sent them all.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 11-08-2005 11:29 AM]
11-05-2005 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: The Truthbringers (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:

Local Time:01-07-2005 at 12:00 AM

-Erik

January has come and gone, my friend. Let's cut a deal, I'll get that logic puzzle in to you by

Local Time:11-07-2005 at 12:00 AM

11-05-2005 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
forrestfire
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
icon Re: The Truthbringers (+1)  
I just sent you an email with the solution. If I didn't mess up somewhere along the way, and it is right, I will join. Sounds fun.

edit:By the way, What is the deal with the time? It says 12:30 A.M.

[Last edited by forrestfire at 11-05-2005 12:33 AM]
11-05-2005 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
RoboBob3000 wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:

Local Time:01-07-2005 at 12:00 AM

-Erik

January has come and gone, my friend. Let's cut a deal, I'll get that logic puzzle in to you by

Local Time:11-07-2005 at 12:00 AM
I fixed it for Erik.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-05-2005 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
I would love to participate in the contest. :closedeyes
11-05-2005 at 12:37 AM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I will participate... timidly.
11-05-2005 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
Ok. Im in

I wish that man would stay away
11-05-2005 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
forrestfire wrote:
edit:By the way, What is the deal with the time? It says 12:30 A.M.
The time above is automatically adjusted to show what time it will be in your timezone. It's 12:00am GMT and then I guess you live somewhere with a half hour adjustment? Check your profile settings to make sure your timezone is set right if this doesn't sound right.

-Erik

11-05-2005 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'm in.

11-05-2005 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I am in if my answer went through and is correct.
Edit: :thumbsup I am confirmedly in.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 11-05-2005 10:09 PM]
11-05-2005 at 02:06 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
This sounds like it could be very interesting indeed.

11-05-2005 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
ErikH2000 wrote:
please post here indicating your intention.
I no longer intend to win this contest. Now I intend to verify that the puzzle is indeed solvable.

[Last edited by Schik at 11-07-2005 06:09 AM]
11-05-2005 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
It's a bad habit to use the word "indeed", especially for a young man trying to meet women. I tried to break Oneiromancer of it, but he kept tenting his fingers and saying "indeed" in agreement to my advice. And then comes the van dyke beard, pipe, and armpatches. It's a bad road to go down.

Hmmm. I'm not considering your statement as a declaration to enter.

-Erik

11-05-2005 at 03:10 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
ErikH2000 wrote:
It's a bad habit to use the word "indeed", especially for a young man trying to meet women. I tried to break Oneiromancer of it, but he kept tenting his fingers and saying "indeed" in agreement to my advice. And then comes the van dyke beard, pipe, and armpatches. It's a bad road to go down.
Hey...I was using that when I met my current woman and we're still together! And I use "indubitably" when I talk to you...most of the time!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-05-2005 at 03:25 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I'm in.
11-05-2005 at 04:06 AM
Mattcrampy
ErikH2000 wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:

Oh, don't worry, I've got a better way of breaking it: being friends with a young lady who calls herself 'Indeed'. It's just friends because I'm not the sort of person who finds it appropriate to tell lots of other people about their love life.

Hmmm. I'm not considering your statement as a declaration to enter.

It wasn't, because when I made the statement I wasn't aware that I had qualified or how things were working. This sentence, however, is my declaration to enter.

please post here indicating your intention

I intend to come fourth, and then post about how close it was and how everyone was so on the ball while secretly despising them and their political manoevering.

I got it all planned out.

11-05-2005 at 04:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I intend to make a declaration to enter.

I declare that I am entering.
11-05-2005 at 04:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I'm going to enter this contest, try my absolute hardest, and end up exactly in the middle like I have for every other contest I've entered.

Etc.
11-05-2005 at 05:09 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'm in.
11-05-2005 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RuAdam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 157
I'm in.
11-05-2005 at 08:17 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I´m in !
11-05-2005 at 08:30 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I really have no interest to enter this contest: that's why I am not even bothering to read this thread, let alone actually post a reply to it.

What you mean? Oh, I see. I shall most certainly be delighted of partaking in this game.
11-05-2005 at 08:43 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I am very interested in entering too.

ErikH2000 wrote:
This contest will involve solving a very large logic puzzle. Under optimal conditions, it might take a person about an hour to solve this beast. The conditions will be far from optimal, however, as the information needed for a solution will be dispersed amongst contestants.
This is interesting, since this is the first time (I believe) that you have made a contest that's not related to building DROD holds, but which appears to give players each an amount of information that no-one else has. Doesn't this risk Forum politics becoming a serious problem, especially as every person will need at least one other person's information to solve the puzzle? Or am I misinterpreting what you've said?

11-05-2005 at 09:14 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Count me in.

"Oook!"
11-05-2005 at 09:15 AM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
Doesn't this risk Forum politics becoming a serious problem, especially as every person will need at least one other person's information to solve the puzzle? Or am I misinterpreting what you've said?
Yes, forum politics are meant to play an important part in the game. Obviously, it will cause unfairness here and there, but I really wanted a good political contest. To do well in this game, you will need to talk to other forumites, make deals, and maybe stab a few backs. It's not a purely logical challenge.

-Erik

11-05-2005 at 09:38 AM
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
Yes, forum politics are meant to play an important part in the game. Obviously, it will cause unfairness here and there, but I really wanted a good political contest. To do well in this game, you will need to talk to other forumites, make deals, and maybe stab a few backs. It's not a purely logical challenge.
So, um...

What if no-one on this forum likes me? Or in fact, what if everyone does? As some clues are going to be redundant, it might be the case that any one person might not be required by someone who has enough clues. So, for an extreme example, I could send a PM to all contestants (but one) saying not to do any deals with a person in order to stop him or her even participating (since the chances are that the puzzle can still be solved if that clue was eliminated). If, by some chance, no-one particularly wants this person to succeed either, that person won't stand a chance, and to make it worse, he or she won't know that the entire contest population has turned against him, and that he cannot possibly succeed, until after the contest (which would not be pleasant to find out, even though it is a contest). I could also decide to ask people to lie to each other too. Since you can't tell what is a lie and what isn't on the internet (unless you have enough information), how could I trust anyone else not to lie to me, even if I ask him or her not to?

Also, what if I know some people in the contest in real life, and we collaborate together? Wouldn't that give me an advantage over people restricted to the forum, since I could include more complex politics into the contest, maybe even creating an agreement that would allow the group to help each other alternately to win contests (Of course, this has always been possible, but this would encourage it)? On a related note, what if I create some new accounts (or get some people to do so), get these people to join the contest, and so use this to obtain several clues right from the beginning?

In some ways, this would be a very interesting exercise in politics, but it may very well disrupt the forum community in several unpleasant ways, especially as we're all supposed to be (reasonably) equal, and this could very well unbalance that (or at least make it obvious what some of the inequalities are).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 11-05-2005 10:24 AM]
11-05-2005 at 10:21 AM
Mattcrampy
That's why I figured it would be very interesting. Doing a logic problem with sub-optimal information is a really cool idea.

11-05-2005 at 10:25 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I find the idea also interresting. The unfairness wont be that great because if you dont give someone the information he requests then he wont give you infromation either. (Of course if your best friend also plays, then you have a big advantage).

I´m looking forward to make agreements and conspiracy.....
11-05-2005 at 10:32 AM
agaricus5
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
I find the idea also interresting. The unfairness wont be that great because if you dont give someone the information he requests then he wont give you infromation either.
Really?
I wrote:
I could also decide to ask people to lie to each other too. Since you can't tell what is a lie and what isn't on the internet (unless you have enough information), how could I trust anyone else not to lie to me, even if I ask him or her not to?
Also,
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
(Of course if your best friend also plays, then you have a big advantage).

Exactly:

I wrote:
Also, what if I know some people in the contest in real life, and we collaborate together? Wouldn't that give me an advantage over people restricted to the forum, since I could include more complex politics into the contest, maybe even creating an agreement that would allow the group to help each other alternately to win contests (Of course, this has always been possible, but this would encourage it)?
And...
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
I´m looking forward to make agreements and conspiracy.....
So am I, but I'm just wondering exactly how far this contest will go. Are there going to be any restrictions to protect the players, or is this going to be a full political war?

Also, how are we going to organise the sending of information? Since I cannot check if someone is lying to me or not in an agreement, I could agree to send information to someone, but that person then may refuse to give me his clues once I have sent mine to him.

I guess trust is therefore a generic issue. Can any one person trust anyone else on the forum?

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 11-05-2005 11:02 AM]
11-05-2005 at 10:41 AM
Mattcrampy
The first thing that I can think of is that making a deal to block off one person at the behest of another is sub-optimal. The value of a particular clue is how many people know it, so if someone does a deal with the participants to not deal with a particular person to lock them out, breaking that deal, and thus being the only one to get the snubbed person's clue, becomes a very savvy move. The other thing about politics is that there's rarely a rewarding move which doesn't carry the same amount of risk - if the snubbed person finds out, and plays their cards right, it can make the snubber appear a very untrustworthy person, blocking any chance they'd have of making deals in the future.

In any case, I strongly suggest that part of the rules should specifically prohibit making deals involving stuff outside of the game, for rank points and so forth.

11-05-2005 at 10:47 AM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Truthbringers (Our contest for November.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com