Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Read and unread posts
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
IP: Logged
icon Read and unread posts (0)  
Okay... I *think* that this is all working - read and unread posts are based on the username now, not whatever cookies you happen to have. So if you read from 5 different computers, as long as you log in it will know what you have and haven't read.

If anybody finds any problems.... let me know.

As of a few minutes ago, everyone is marked as having read everything.

I'll add a "mark all posts as read" button some time soon.

07-08-2003 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Read and unread posts (0)  
Great work! :)

I had a problem with ghost new posts a little while ago. The index said there were new posts, but the sub-index (feature requests) said there wasn't, after several refreshes of both. I opened a few posts there, and now that problem's gone. Might just have been an initial problem.

Oh, and is it supposed to be remembering new posts in each sub-index individually now ? It doesn't - i just refreshed the index after getting rid of that ghost above, and noticed the time and name of the latest poster changed in the General forum, but the icon showed no new posts.

- Gerry

07-09-2003 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
I fixed a problem with the main index (You mean a string intrepreted as an int is always zero??). I haven't yet seen a problem with the topic list though. If it happens again, don't go back into the topic, and let me know the topicid. I'll see if you're in the table.

07-09-2003 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
I haven't had any problems today, so that was probably it :)

- Gerry

07-09-2003 at 02:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
Thanks a lot for both this and the anchors!
07-09-2003 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
No problem.

Just an FYI - the anchors only work right now if the first unread post is on the first page... otherwise it's taking you to the top of the first page because it can't find the anchor.

07-09-2003 at 04:04 PM
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
icon Re: Re: Read and unread posts (0)  
Schik wrote:Just an FYI - the anchors only work right now if the first unread post is on the first page... otherwise it's taking you to the top of the first page because it can't find the anchor.

Hey Schik,
Coincidentally, I am implementing a very similiar anchoring feature in a web application at work (in perl though).

I've noticed that some browsers snap the anchor to the top of the viewable area, while others place the anchor at the bottom of the viewable area.

So if I want to ensure that some element is visible on the screen when the page loads, I need to do browser detection to decide if the anchor goes before or after the element.

Do you happen to have a list of which browsers anchor to top and which anchor to bottom? (I think nearly all do top, but it'll save me lots of testing if I knew which don't in advance).

Thanks, and again, good work!

-Bryan
07-09-2003 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Read and unread posts (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:
Do you happen to have a list of which browsers anchor to top and which anchor to bottom? (I think nearly all do top, but it'll save me lots of testing if I knew which don't in advance).
The anchors were already in the forum, I just started using them in the index page. Looking at the code, the anchors here are blindly placed right before each message table.

To be honest, I didn't know this was an issue. Sorry I can't help...

07-09-2003 at 06:43 PM
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
This is really cool. But now that we have this, and we can no longer just exit the browser and return to mark everything as read, we *really* need a "mark all messages in this forum as read" button. Otherwise, if there's a message that doesn't interest you, you have to click on it otherwise it's forum will remain red forever.

07-10-2003 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Read and unread posts (0)  
eytanz wrote:
we *really* need a "mark all messages in this forum as read" button.
Indeed we do. I don't think I'll be able to get to it tonight, but I'll do it tomorrow (unless something big comes up).

Does anybody want to be able to mark them read by forum? I could put a link in the main index to mark ALL posts read, and one in each forum to mark that forum's posts read, if anybody cares. Otherwise I'll just do the mark ALL posts read.

07-10-2003 at 03:09 AM
eytanz
Yes, by-forum will definitely be nice. For instance, if I know there are no posts in the dev forum I care about (as if often the case, as many of them go over my head or are about ports to OSs I don't use), but I don't have time to go through new challanges - I'll want to mark the dev forum read so I can see if someone posted something new to it, but not the challange forum since I still want to read those posts.

07-10-2003 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Somehow - some way - I knew that if I asked that question, one person in particular would have a strong opinion. I was right. :)

Doing it this way will be super trivial - I'll get to it tomorrow.

07-10-2003 at 04:54 AM
eytanz
Are you implying that I'm opinionated? :eyes

(that's as close as I could get to an "innocent look" smiley)

[Edited by eytanz on 07-10-2003 at 06:03 AM]

07-10-2003 at 06:02 AM
Schik
I wouldn't never not say not that about you!

Okay, I have no idea what that means.

Regardless, to reward your opinionatedness (heh) I went ahead and gave you your mark as read options. Seems to work for me...

07-10-2003 at 06:09 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Read and unread posts
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com