Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Does the hyperlink to the DROD forums HAVE to open in a new tab?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon Does the hyperlink to the DROD forums HAVE to open in a new tab? (0)  
Makes me wonder... the link of the left doesn't, the one of the right does. Sometimes i forget and then realise I have 2 tabs open. Not majorly annoying but I sorta wonder.
10-15-2005 at 11:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Does the hyperlink to the DROD forums HAVE to open in a new tab? (0)  
God, there's no pleasing some people.

I made one open a link in a new window because someone asked for it. It's up to Patrick what he wants to do with it, although I guess that with the redesign there won't really be a need for a forums link.

10-15-2005 at 12:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
Oh, ok.
10-15-2005 at 03:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
First of all, site design is still up in the air. I may very well decide to separate the forum from the site by opening the forum in a new window/tab. It's still rather early to decide right now, though. Too many other more important things to think of.

10-16-2005 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
If it were up to me, they'd open in the current tab. I have a habit of ctrl-clicking whenever I want to follow a link without leaving the current page, but there's not an easy way to say "recycle this tab -- I'm done with it." But I don't feel strongly about it either way. Most of such clicks for me are ctrl-clicks anyway.

Just FYI IMHO in case you were wondering what people thought.

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 10-16-2005 10:25 AM]
10-16-2005 at 10:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Does the hyperlink to the DROD forums HAVE to open in a new tab? (+2)  
I just middleclick when I want things in a new tab. When I want a link to open in the same tab, and the page won't let me, I'm furious. Furious.

Okay, not really. It's not that big of a problem. I can live with it, but I'd really prefer the freedom to choose what I want myself in stead of having the page tell me what I want. It's usually wrong, you see. Then that awkward situation occurs where the page bursts into tears, and I have to console it and tell it it's okay, that I know it meant well. It's the thought that counts, etc.

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 10-16-2005 04:35 PM]
10-16-2005 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
This reminds me of the wise man who said "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time".

10-16-2005 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Does the hyperlink to the DROD forums HAVE to open in a new tab? (+1)  
I think that wise man lived before the advent of profile options ;)

- Gerry
10-16-2005 at 06:35 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Does the hyperlink to the DROD forums HAVE to open in a new tab? (+1)  
This is a true saying. In which case, it's probably best to avoid the responsibility of pleasing all the people, and allow them the freedom to do it either way, according to their own desire. In this case, that's opening the page in the same window by default, and they can Ctrl-click or right click or whatever it is they do to open the link in a new window.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-16-2005 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Does the hyperlink to the DROD forums HAVE to open in a new tab?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com