Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Over-restricting Safety Mode (Build 26)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Over-restricting Safety Mode (Build 26) (0)  
I'm sorry, but the new automatic safety mode for the editor, in my opinion, is really annoying because it allows overwriting of certain types of tile on another, for example, gates on walls, but not for many other combinations, such as pits on walls, walls on pits, crumbly walls on walls, walls on gates...

I think it's really annoying to have to delete a tile before being able to place another on that position. Do you think we could have the safety/non-safety mode choice re-implemented?

Sorry for any offence caused to all your hard work - I really do appreciate everything you have been doing, especially for the editor (I absolutely love it!:))

07-07-2003 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Over-restricting Safety Mode (Build 26) (0)  
I prefer the current situation to the old one. That said, there's definitely some tweaking that could be done - it's relatively difficutl to do harmless changes (pit on wall, as mentioned above), but rather easy to do significant changes (connecting two doors). I'm not sure what should be done - maybe returning the "safe mode" option is a good idea, but with different settings as to what is safe and what isn't. In any case, please keep the right-click deletion.

07-07-2003 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
agaricus5 wrote:
I'm sorry, but the new automatic safety mode for the editor, in my opinion, is really annoying because it allows overwriting of certain types of tile on another, for example, gates on walls, but not for many other combinations, such as pits on walls, walls on pits, crumbly walls on walls, walls on gates...
Oops... It shouldn't allow overwriting of anything else, but it should also usually allow the same object overwriting itself. These'll both be fixed in build 28.

I think it's really annoying to have to delete a tile before being able to place another on that position. Do you think we could have the safety/non-safety mode choice re-implemented?
I was hoping the annoyance factor would be minimized by just having to right-click to erase areas. I would hope it's not as painful as keeping track of a safety option.

Sorry for any offence caused to all your hard work - I really do appreciate everything you have been doing, especially for the editor (I absolutely love it!:))
I'm glad you're enjoying it. No offense taken. We'll figure out what works best sooner or later!

[Edited by mrimer on 07-07-2003 at 03:43 PM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-07-2003 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: Over-restricting Safety Mode (Build 26) (0)  
mrimer wrote:
I was hoping the annoyance factor would be minimized by just having to right-click to erase areas. I would hope it's not as painful as keeping track of a safety option.
Keep the "delete with the right mouse button" feature though - it's so useful!

07-07-2003 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
butsam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
This sounds like a bug I posted on SourceForge--basically, anything that is of the same "layer" cannot be overwritten (to the best of my knowledge)--for instance, you can't replace a roach with an eye--but you can place a roach on a yellow wall since they are not of the same "layer". I hope this gets fixed soon--it would take away 1/2 of the clicks it takes to build a room :)

Sam
07-08-2003 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Over-restricting Safety Mode (Build 26)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com