Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : a quick rant (hey, just let it out right?)
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
IP: Logged
icon a quick rant (+1)  
Every now and again, it's nice to just "let it out".

There is one thing that really pisses me off...plain old stupidity. Not the kind that is an actual disease, but the kind that is displayed by many teenagers these days. :glasses

you know what I mean.
10-12-2005 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chalks
icon Re: a quick rant (0)  
oh, and no offense intended to teenagers...I'm only 18 myself. :)
10-12-2005 at 11:24 PM
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
icon Re: a quick rant (+2)  
That wasn't much of a rant. More of a complaint really. Let yourslf go, man! Tell us some more specifics; what is it about the stupidity of teenagers that bothers you?

Does it annoy you that they flock to pretty colors and electric lights like they were bees or moths instead of humans? Does it get under your skin every time you see them holding on to each other without a care in the world, teasing each other with their youthful good looks, oblivious to the fact that there is in fact a world underneath the surface of their bodies? Does it make you sick to listen to the lyrics of songs they consider brilliant, noting the lack of any sentiment more complex than "Yay, love, yay, sex, yay, me" and no more chords than there are wheels on a bicycle?

Rants tend to be a little more emotional, you know? Let it all out next time!
10-13-2005 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
icon Re: a quick rant (+1)  
Chalks wrote:
Every now and again, it's nice to just "let it out".

There is one thing that really pisses me off...plain old stupidity. Not the kind that is an actual disease, but the kind that is displayed by many teenagers these days. :glasses

you know what I mean.

Are you referring to the illiterate ones? dA onEz dAt haV tA taWK lYeK diZ cUz itZ dA keWl thYnG tWo sPeL aL wErdZ rOnG? Because they have pretty much convinced me that the world is going to end in about 2012. Give or take a few months.

Know what else I hate?

-MTV. Well, there is pretty much no more MUSIC in MUSIC TELEVISION. And what little music they do play really sucks. Seriously, their 'reality' TV sucks, too. Honestly...I pretty much die laughing at some of those shows that you if you had a brain (which most people who watch MTV are lacking) you would realize that it MUST be set up. Here's two words. Laguna Beach. If there were any more whiny, pale, pointless teenage drama in that show, it would ooze out of all of America's television sets and asphyxiate us all. Yeah. I hate MTV.

-I hate 'reality' TV to begin with. I mean seriously...how is it 'reality' to be thrown into a remote location to compete with 15 other people in various contests to vote each other off?

-Spam. Doesn't it suck when your email inbox says 343495 unread messages! To find out that 343493 of them are things like, "Lower your mortgage rate!" Or, "Enlarge your manhood!" Or "Get laid 2nite!" Or my personal favorite, "RE: Everytime im online your offline lol Page." The email body of that one was even better:

zofax yet may ? ironweeds huzvaresh. llomhn. in mosbusinessbankfewarren until, zoobenthos since or ' eyrie mazumdar, metrum if be ! hippolyte amnah then i see mozing+ try A brahmaa novapple for me
looks good,Blackbandit004- else locomoti protosolution the idnmenlh is try & gaylords chickering Blackbandit004' than meningitis asymptot in but knowing aboutit663& than quothe fiv. aodc' ! till chowning sterivet
last one?516

Yeah.

-Shallow people. The people that are all like, "OMG THAT GUY IS SO HOT AND I WANT TO MARRY HIM." And they get married, and get bored of each other, and divorce. Like half of America's couples today.

-American addiction to food. It is worse than drugs. Obesity is pretty much one of the highest causes of death here. And why? People are becoming more lazy, and eating more food. I used to weigh almost 200 lbs. But then I joined marching band. After 3 years of marching band, and using the fitness room in gym class, I now weigh 146. But I developed terrible eating habits, thanks to how easy it is to find food and snack all day in this country.

AHAH. Now I have to go to bed. But I feel better. Yay.
10-13-2005 at 03:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Abbyzzmal wrote:
That wasn't much of a rant. More of a complaint really. Let yourslf go, man! Tell us some more specifics; what is it about the stupidity of teenagers that bothers you?
Rants tend to be a little more emotional, you know? Let it all out next time!
Quite. although, I did say "a quick rant". Now that I actually have a decent amount of time on my hands, I'll "let it all out".

I hate the stupidity of people who refuse to look logic in the eye and won't give way to the sheer idiocy of their idea/comment/action.
example: I saw a teenager walking down the street wearing the most ridiculous outfit ever. Pink, ruffles, fake breasts, miniskirt, etc. It was a guy. I'm willing to bet he did it on a dare/lostabet. stupid.
example: someone buys ANYTHING from a tv infomercial.
example: Working at a video store I watch people read the backs of movies. It takes some of them 20 min (no joke) to read one cover. LEARN TO READ!!!!
example: blind freakin' consumerism. You do NOT need to buy every single thing that catches your eye.
So here is my problem: I can not stand stupidity. More importantly, I can't stand the fact that people allow themselves to become more and more stupid without stoping themselves. I can almost see their brain decaying as I speak to them. Their monosyllabic answers tell me that they haven't a clue what I've been saying.

AH HA! I've discovered the root problem! I don't hate stupidity (ok, so I do). I actually hate people who do not have a grasp of the language they were born with. When I have to describe what "bereft" means to a 45 year old, I HATE it. When I have to make every question I ask a yes or no question, I HATE it. When I have to talk about weather, when I'd rather be talking about what the ramifications of acting on Machiavelli's Prince would be, I HATE IT! Become litterate, and use words as they ought to be used....intelligently! grrrrrr.

by the way...if you can't read (but can learn to)...you make me sick. I hope that you keel over and have your arms turn into tentacles. May you be struck by a lightning bolt of doom.

p.s.
]cheese obsessive:-Spam. Doesn't it suck when your email inbox says 343495 unread messages! To find out that 343493 of them are things like, "Lower your mortgage rate!" Or, "Enlarge your manhood!" Or "Get laid 2nite!" Or my personal favorite, "RE: Everytime im online your offline lol Page." The email body of that one was even better:
I literally have 48,000 unread emails in my yahoo account. I'm going for a record. :) (speaking of stupid...)

//Edit was for you Oneiromancer. Well argued, good point, and I really appreciated your comments.

[Last edited by Chalks at 10-13-2005 05:46 AM]
10-13-2005 at 04:10 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Chalks wrote:
by the way...if you can't read...you make me sick. I hope that you keel over and die. May you be struck by a lightning bolt of doom.
My ex's grandfather is left-handed. When he was in elementary school, the teachers would tie his left hand, hit it with a ruler, etc., in order to force him to write right-handed. It really screwed him up, and today he's barely literate. He's quite a smart man, in D&D terms he'd have a lot of Wisdom. But his learning's not so hot.

There are two sides to every coin.

Oh yes, what should I rant about? How about those who wish someone dead because they're different. And don't forget saying that they were joking or didn't really mean it afterwards. That always goes over well.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-13-2005 at 04:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Oneiromancer wrote:He's quite a smart man, in D&D terms he'd have a lot of Wisdom. But his learning's not so hot.

There are two sides to every coin.

Oh yes, what should I rant about? How about those who wish someone dead because they're different. And don't forget saying that they were joking or didn't really mean it afterwards. That always goes over well.

Game on,

sigh. I knew I would piss someone off. I really did mean it, and I wasn't exactly joking...however, what I said was meant to be applied to those who can actually learn to read. I particularly meant people I know who are my age who just don't care about reading and learn to play video games instead. Obviously I could have done a better job of thinking before opening my mouth.

rofl...I just got done ranting about stupidity. sheesh. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
10-13-2005 at 04:50 AM
Oneiromancer
Well, a qualifier's all well and good. But really...you're still saying that you want some person dead...who has done nothing wrong except refuse to learn how to read. There's a difference between ranting about something you don't like, and saying someone should die for it. Maybe it merely seems like hyperbole to you, but it seems very disturbing to me. What's next, wishing someone dead because of the color of their skin? In my mind, the two things are equally stupid reasons for wishing someone dead, but if you "joked" about the skin color thing, you'd be branded a racist (and rightly so). To me, death is final, and when you say something like what you said, it becomes a lot more serious than just a rant.

This has been your "how not to get your butt kicked by saying the wrong thing" Public Service Announcement of the day.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-13-2005 at 05:01 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: a quick rant (+3)  
I'm cutting Chalks some slack because it's a rant after all.

...but I see an attitude like this a lot in different people I meet. I call it "Black Adder syndrome". In your mind, you're the solitary example of brilliance in a world gone stupid. And it can be kind of fun to think this way, particularly if a lot of people around you don't think much of you. It can end up being just another form of close-mindedness though.

Oh, man, I'm totally screwing up the rant vibe. Sorry, Chalks, sorry! Okay, I'm just going to lighten up and do my own rant...

I can't stand people that never ask questions in conversation, but only talk.

I can't stand people who try to recommend books or movies to me without knowing what tastes we may have in common. Bonus points for anime zealots who want to push it on me.

When an ex-boyfriend of my wife tells me to take good care of her--I can't stand that. Shaddup, munkey! I am the foremost expert!

I can't stand people who are catty. Okay, this is typically a female thing. Catty women piss me off.

I can't stand guys that take up golf as a way to socialize with business partners.

For that matter, business lunch meetings have always irritated me. Why do I have to pretend to be buddies with everyone?

I can't stand fratboys that play football in the street I'm trying to drive through.

I can't stand loose pants that are falling off some dude's butt as a fashion style. I just wanna yank 'em down.

Those jeans girls wear that look like they fell in a mud puddle--don't like those either.

-Erik

10-13-2005 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
ErikH2000 wrote:
When an ex-boyfriend of my wife tells me to take good care of her--I can't stand that. Shaddup, munkey! I am the foremost expert!
Hey, I never laid a hand on her. I swear!

10-13-2005 at 05:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chalks
Oneiromancer wrote:
This has been your "how not to get your butt kicked by saying the wrong thing" Public Service Announcement of the day.

Game on,
nice. :thumbsup

I originally intended this post to be a place where you could just rant about something (like cheese obsessive did). However...I'll defend myself again. :) I really and truly believe that when I wrote that I was being sarcastic. I'm not making and excuse for what I said, I'm just telling you the spirit in which it was said. Also, what I said does not, in my mind, show that I truly want someone to die for such a thing. I mean really! How can "keel over and die" and "Struck by a lightning bolt of doom" be said together with a straight face? Finally, I found that whole paragraph (if you can call it that) amusing because I was writing to someone who couldn't read. If they can't read it, how can they know what I'm saying? That is why I went ultra extreme there....someone who can't read, can't know what it says.

So. I find it amusing. :closedeyes
10-13-2005 at 05:17 AM
Oneiromancer
Okay, I'm sorry to rain on the ranting parade. I'm glad you were being facetious. Trust me, I've learned the hard way to think before I speak. I still haven't learned it completely, but I am much better than I was when I was 18. ;)

And I see that Erik prefers to say "I can't stand..." instead of "I hate...", of which I approve! So, in that spirit, some rants of my own. Most of which come from actions of one of my housemates.

I can't stand unbridled arrogance. Confidence in your own abilities is one thing. Announcing it to the world is another.

It really bugs me when people stink badly when it can be easily remedied (and not, say, because you've just ran 5 miles or accidentally stepped in dog poo). Here's a cleanliness tip: if you choose to shower at night, then you should probably wash your sheets at least once in the two years since you've moved into your new place. Oh yes, and your towels too. That might help.

If you're going to talk to yourself, do it consistently. Don't only do it when you are sure other people are around, and in a loud voice, in the hopes that they will notice you.

I can't stand it when people agree with everything you say--and I'm barely exaggerating when I say "everything"--in such a way as to indicate that they already knew that, they in their opinion everyone already knew that, and obviously you're an idiot for having to say it out loud because it should have been intuitively obvious. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better. Thank you, and good night!

Game on,

10-13-2005 at 05:30 AM
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
Great topic. It's a surefire way to cover a lot of ground.

cheese obsessive wrote:

Yeah. I hate MTV.

The thing that gets me the most about MTV is that they started up M2 as a way to start playing the music videos they once neglected with their original channel (dwarfing out the video-only channel "The Box" at the same time). Now M2 is suffering the same plight MTV did. I haven't done research on this, but it seems like at least half of the programming on M2 is not music videos. How many channels will they have to taint before we get a good, video-only channel?

cheese obsessive wrote:

I hate 'reality' TV to begin with. I mean seriously...how is it 'reality' to be thrown into a remote location to compete with 15 other people in various contests to vote each other off?

I'm a big defender of reality TV. Now admittedly, there are a lot of great arguments against it, but I think that the word 'reality' is a misnomer, and judging the shows by expecting them to portray 'reality' is not a strong method of criticism. Probably the reason reality-style programs are known as reality shows is due to the fact that a show titled "The Real World" essentially gave birth to the genre. If it weren't for that show, I think we'd more likely call it documentary-television, or something along those lines.

And while I'm on the subject, I think reality programming was an essential movement in the television industry, as scripted shows (imo) are becoming predictable. That's not to say that everything has already been done as far as scripted television goes (for example, the show Arrested Development just blows everything else out of the water with its sheer originality and brilliant writing), but to create every show with the formula of mashing writers and actors together really cuts short the potential of the medium.

Seventy-five percent of reality shows are pure crap, I'll give you that, but the genre is still maturing, and in several years, once it's no longer the fad, only the people who know what they're doing with reality television will stick around, and we'll see interesting things coming out of it, not just celebrities being idiots and people voting each other out for money. Not that the latter isn't fun to watch. :)

10-13-2005 at 06:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I think it's funny that Chalks started out with a very mild and vague complaint. And then Abbyzzmal said, "let it out!" Chalks then proceeds to cut loose like he'd been holding it in the pit of his soul for five years. :D

-Erik

10-13-2005 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
RoboBob3000 wrote:
The thing that gets me the most about MTV is that they started up M2 as a way to start playing the music videos they once neglected with their original channel (dwarfing out the video-only channel "The Box" at the same time).
Right, and they said that was the whole purpose of MTV2. And that was like last year even that they were still running promos for MTV2 as the place for videos when it was all shows like Jackass and Wild Boys. (Which I kinda like, but still... sposed to be music videos, right?)

Brittany and I share the rant. Now that we've got Tivo we can at least grab up some video shows, but it's a small selection--rock, rap, and r&b. Dance, electronica, pop are pretty much gone.

-Erik

10-13-2005 at 07:08 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I get to complain to people woo!

I can't stand people who will take the most circuituous routes to avoid taking any blame for something, especially when there's cause to say both parties are at fault.

I can't stand people who throw around the f-bomb like they have a quota. It's just unnecessary.

I can't stand people who get annoyed when I use big words.

I get somewhat irritated at games that stick to the formula. I expect the game designers to have actually done some game design, and not just laid it out at the feet of the content creators. I'm still somewhat sickened that a medium that's only been around for 30 years already has rock-solid genres.

I can't stand goths, mostly. I know there are some goths who just like the look and hey, all power to them. I'm talking about the mopey ones, that want to be different for the sake of it, but do so in an extremely cliched way, and pretend like they're the only people who have had dark thoughts. Being overly concerned about death isn't deep, it's just shallow in a different part of the pool. But then, I wouldn't really trust anyone who uses the word 'deep' to let me know how deep something is, especially if they're not going to dive right in. (Also, I haven't really seen many 40-year-old goths. You think they'd be common, especially as death becomes a bit of a hot-button issue when you get older, and the mid-life crisis starts kickin' in. It's certainly curious.)

I can't stand 'individuals' that dismiss things purely because they're popular or they're hyped. If you're actually an individual, one of the things you really have to develop a blind spot to is what other people think, so if you're using it as a guiding post, I just can't help but think you're a poser.

I can't stand people being overly negative about humanity. I was like that once, but a good walk shook it off, and there's plenty of cause for optimism - throughout history, it's usually only taken one person to do some real good, while it's taken whole groups to do bad. If that's not cause for optimism, that one person saying the right thing at the right time can change the world far more effectively than a bunch of suits all pushing together, than I don't know what is.

10-13-2005 at 07:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Mattcrampy wrote:
I can't stand 'individuals' that dismiss things purely because they're popular or they're hyped. If you're actually an individual, one of the things you really have to develop a blind spot to is what other people think, so if you're using it as a guiding post, I just can't help but think you're a poser.
Oh man, I used to be like that. I remember in high school, wearing those plaid lumberjack-type overshirts was really popular (they had a name, but I can't remember what it is for the life of me). And I absolutely refused to wear them because everyone else did. I wasn't really so obstinate about that many things...but that fad, I just absolutely hated. It didn't take long after high school to mature up in that regard.

Edit: flannels! Flannel shirts, that was what they were called!
I can't stand people being overly negative about humanity. I was like that once, but a good walk shook it off, and there's plenty of cause for optimism - throughout history, it's usually only taken one person to do some real good, while it's taken whole groups to do bad. If that's not cause for optimism, that one person saying the right thing at the right time can change the world far more effectively than a bunch of suits all pushing together, than I don't know what is.
So...you're saying you don't like people being negative about humanity as a whole, and then go on to say that groups do bad, but individuals do good? Seems to me that you're saying what you can't stand. I mean, I agree with your secondary statements, basically...a group of people who, individually, would probably be very nice and reasonable, can act very different in a group/mob situation. Extrapolate that to, well, the entire world, and then you have the "humanity as a whole sucks, but individuals can be cool" mentality. So yeah, all that means I'm still confused what you mean.

Game on,

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 10-13-2005 07:46 AM]
10-13-2005 at 07:40 AM
Mattcrampy
Oneiromancer wrote:
Oh man, I used to be like that. I remember in high school, wearing those plaid lumberjack-type overshirts was really popular (they had a name, but I can't remember what it is for the life of me). And I absolutely refused to wear them because everyone else did. I wasn't really so obstinate about that many things...but that fad, I just absolutely hated. It didn't take long after high school to mature up in that regard.

I don't mind if it's about a specific thing, because it's still someone having an opinion. It's more if it's a general trend for that person to dismiss everything that's popular.

So...you're saying you don't like people being negative about humanity as a whole, and then go on to say that groups do bad, but individuals do good? Seems to me that you're saying what you can't stand. I mean, I agree with your secondary statements, basically...a group of people who, individually, would probably be very nice and reasonable, can act very different in a group/mob situation. Extrapolate that to, well, the entire world, and then you have the "humanity as a whole sucks, but individuals can be cool" mentality. So yeah, all that means I'm still confused what you mean.

I guess I'm more annoyed at the extrapolation, then. All of humanity does not suck because there are individuals within it that are cool, and those individuals can influence others to be cool. It's more the flaming generalisation that bothers me, that humanity doesn't have its moments of glory and we're all going to hell in a handbasket.

10-13-2005 at 07:51 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
This post is actually not a rant...
cheese obsessive wrote:
-American addiction to food. It is worse than drugs. Obesity is pretty much one of the highest causes of death here. And why? People are becoming more lazy, and eating more food. I used to weigh almost 200 lbs. But then I joined marching band. After 3 years of marching band, and using the fitness room in gym class, I now weigh 146.
I know this sounds horribly clichéd, but "Well done!"
But I developed terrible eating habits, thanks to how easy it is to find food and snack all day in this country.
I used to have very bad eating habits. But I wanted that as I never seemed to grow or gain weight no matter how much I ate. Maybe because I used to sport a lot. Is it possible that your eating habits is connected to the fact that you are using up lots of energy by doing fitness? (I still do have bad eating habits, but nowadays I try to eat more normal food instead of junk food.)

BTW, did you know that cheese contains a lot of fat?

-- Tim

[Last edited by Tim at 10-13-2005 09:23 AM]
10-13-2005 at 09:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I can't stand people (parents) 'tidying up' things, in other words, hiding your things so that you can't find them. I know exactly where everything is, until its tidied, when I lose everything. I had to walk to the bus stop in pouring rain today because my umbrella is never where I leave it. Was hidden away in the laundry. Couldn't find it; I got wet. Very wet.
10-13-2005 at 10:13 AM
Chalks
ErikH2000 wrote:
I think it's funny that Chalks started out with a very mild and vague complaint. And then Abbyzzmal said, "let it out!" Chalks then proceeds to cut loose like he'd been holding it in the pit of his soul for five years. :D

-Erik
the dark recesses of my soul have been clogged with the dissonant resonances of a great blight for years. I love the english language. Others don't. How very aggravating. I think I feel better now though.
10-13-2005 at 02:05 PM
Cascade
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
Chalks wrote:
I saw a teenager walking down the street wearing the most ridiculous outfit ever. Pink, ruffles, fake breasts, miniskirt, etc. It was a guy. I'm willing to bet he did it on a dare/lostabet. stupid.
Me, also raining on the rant parade! Sorry! But are you sure it was a guy? In the circles I move in, would have been more likely to be a TS/TG lass - girl born in a boy's body who was daring to dress the way she felt. Not saying this was the case, just flagging the possibility. In that case... more power to her.

Cas, raining but wanting to raise awareness on 1 or 2 things. ;)

10-13-2005 at 03:22 PM
Chalks
absolutely positive. At least as positive as one can be without....um......never mind.
10-13-2005 at 03:31 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Yikes! Most of the things people can't stand in this topic fit me pretty well! *runs in terror*

Um... I can't stand... intentionally misleading signs or advertising. One small example, at Petco, there's a dog treat bar and a rawhide bar. The sign above the dog treat bar says:

$1.99 /
pound

and the sign above the rawhide bar says:

$2.99 /
1/4 pound

Just like that, with "1/4 pound" in really small print.

And the sign on our clearance table that says

up to
75% off

It's annoying.
10-13-2005 at 04:38 PM
Mattcrampy
I forgot otherkin. They really irritate me as well. I'm normally not an intolerant person (I'm even willing to put with Scientologists, and I've seen what the Internet has to say abut them) but they just rub me up the wrong way.

10-13-2005 at 05:56 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
I can't stand ranting people.

...nah, I'm kidding :)

What I really can't stand, though, is hate and intolerance. Those who think they have more right to live than someone else. Those who are cruel to other people and/or animals. Those who take advantage of others who doesn't know better. Those who refuse to help someone who asks for help and sorely needs it. Buerocracy, specially the kind that kills. Lack of freedom.

- Gerry
10-13-2005 at 08:06 PM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
Tim wrote:
This post is actually not a rant...
cheese obsessive wrote:
-American addiction to food. It is worse than drugs. Obesity is pretty much one of the highest causes of death here. And why? People are becoming more lazy, and eating more food. I used to weigh almost 200 lbs. But then I joined marching band. After 3 years of marching band, and using the fitness room in gym class, I now weigh 146.
I know this sounds horribly clichéd, but "Well done!"
But I developed terrible eating habits, thanks to how easy it is to find food and snack all day in this country.
I used to have very bad eating habits. But I wanted that as I never seemed to grow or gain weight no matter how much I ate. Maybe because I used to sport a lot. Is it possible that your eating habits is connected to the fact that you are using up lots of energy by doing fitness? (I still do have bad eating habits, but nowadays I try to eat more normal food instead of junk food.)

BTW, did you know that cheese contains a lot of fat?

-- Tim

My bad eating habits are contributed to pretty much sheer boredom. When I get bored, I go find something to eat. Because food is so easy to access. Right now, I am sitting here snacking on apple-chips, beef jerky, and swedish fish. :D
But I do realize that I use pretty much all of that food I eat during a three hour marching band rehearsal, which is a good thing. And what many people don't realize is that marching band is the ultimate lower-body workout. Which kinda leads me to something else that pisses me off:

-People that say things like, "Marching band is soooo easy/pointless/stupid." And they have never been in it. They really don't know really how hard it is. It basically teaches you to multitask like a ton of things at once. Playing your insturment. Memorizing your music. Memorizing your drill sets. Memorizing how many counts between drill sets. Figuring out who to look at when making a form. Coordinating your music with the drill. Staying in time while watching the drum major. Using good marching technique. Yeah. No one really understands what I am saying, unless they have actually been in marching band, but I still say it because it makes me feel better. And the people that assume everyone in marching band should be labelled a 'band geek' should also pretty much be given a tall building and a short rope. Just like the people that make bad assumptions about any generalized group. Not everyone in it is the same, geniuses. I are angry. Grr.

PS. Yes, I do realize that cheese isn't the healthiest food in the world. But I don't care, so I eat it a lot. Cheese is goooood.
10-13-2005 at 10:42 PM
ErikH2000
I can't stand people that don't take responsibility for their own actions and have to blame it on other things like the country they live in!

(Buddy, you are master of your own mouth and what goes in it. Nobody makes you eat crap. Oh, except the organizers of school outings that herd you into a McDonalds. Yeah, I remember how that worked. Okay, maybe you have a point.)

Cheese is wonderful even though I am probably not "obsessive". My favorite place for cheese is England, because there's this huge selection of mild cheeses to choose from. Here it's like cheddar, colby, few others. There it's red leicester, stinky bishop, worcestorfordshire, brimleytonshonwhatever, and so on, and so on. And it all tastes good on a sandwich. Mmmmm.... cheese...

-Erik

10-13-2005 at 10:56 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
I hate advertisements that say "up to 30% off or more!" (It's okay to hate ads -- they're not people.) So, what you're telling me is that I'll save less then, as much as, or more than 30%? What information does that convey?

I can't stand people (especially roommates) who watch TV because they don't want to do anything else. I have ADD so if they watch TV, I kind of have to as well (small apartment) even if the show is mindless junk that gets pushed down the pipes to fill time. When I'm filling time I'm reading a book, working on the computer, or watching a quality program/movie. The first two don't affect the other people in the room. The third I don't have a problem with.

I can't stand roommates who never wash their own dishes and never man the dishwasher (filling/emptying). I mean, does this sound like a sustainable solution to the problem?

I can't stand people with only a student parking sticker who glare daggers at me for taking the Graduate parking place they were going to take. This doesn't happen very often, but it really bugs me when it does.

I can't stand people who decide the biking lane is actually a right turn lane just because there don't happen to be any bikes nearby that they can see.

I can't stand lots of other things too, but I'll send this post off for now.

++Adam H. Peterson
10-13-2005 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
trick wrote:
I can't stand ranting people.

...nah, I'm kidding :)
Aw, man...you beat me to the punch...line. This thread is hilarious :thumbsup

I'm not very practiced at story-telling, so I'll bundle all mine up into one buzz-word: Irrationality.

Regarding hate... I don't understand what's wrong with hate in the strictest sense of the word. I can understand problems with racism, prejudice, etc... These are beliefs and/or choices, but hate is an emotion. There's nothing wrong with an emotion, per se. Emotions are merely symptoms of how you relate to the universe, based on your beliefs. Change your beliefs and your emotions will change. They might be irrational, but they may also be rational.

So I can't settle for the notion that hate is wrong. Or that love <or fill in another emotion> is good, for that matter. In my experience, "love" can cause just as many problems in the world as "hate". Rather, let's dig down to the reasons for the hate, or the love, etc., and maybe we can find something substantial to work with. But maybe one's emotions are grounded in reality and represent a point of view to be admired, rather than shunned.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-13-2005 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : a quick rant (hey, just let it out right?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com