Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : So I brought Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call (/Nocturne) (What does that mean anyway?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
IP: Logged
icon So I brought Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call (/Nocturne) (0)  
It's an interesting RPG, but majorly flawed.

The main character starts off, goes to the park, leaves, goes to the hospital, looks around, and then witnesses the end of the world. Soon thereafter, you get turned into a demon and travel the... uhh, place, recruiting any enemy you face of the battlefield.

Unfortunately, most of the game is spent in random battles. Either that, or running around in the cell-shaded world. I can't say much else but, has anyone else played?
10-12-2005 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: So I brought Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call (/Nocturne) (0)  
Is that the prequel to the game mentioned in this newspost? I thought that it sounded somewhat interesting, but I wasn't planning on getting it myself for a long time, if ever.

And, um, that's all I have to add. Maybe someone else can contribute more. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-12-2005 at 08:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blood Maggot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
icon Re: So I brought Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call (/Nocturne) (0)  
I don't know where LC comes choronologically, but it's the newest SMT.
10-12-2005 at 09:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NeonElephant
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
icon Re: So I brought Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call (/Nocturne) (+1)  
Blood Maggot wrote:
Unfortunately, most of the game is spent in random battles. Either that, or running around in the cell-shaded world. I can't say much else but, has anyone else played?
I've played it, and enjoyed it quite a bit. It is very old-school, like, say, Phantasy Star II or so, and it has some neato mechanics (I think there are maybe one or two enemies in the game that you can't get to join your party). The way that party advancement works, though, does lead to some hard tradeoffs, since it's hard to keep characters with both decent skills and a decent level.

The storyline is present, and interesting, although not very deep (by "very deep" here, I guess I'm comparing to Metal Gear Solid and Xenogears). However, dungeon exploration (and, thus, random combat) make up the bulk of the game, so if that's not something you enjoy, prepare to be very bored. It wasn't until near the end of the game when I found that the combat really started to drag, however (that was also more out of a sense of "I want to get done with this already!" than due to any qualitative change in the combat, I think).

I also don't recommend the Hard difficulty unless you're familiar with the series or are using a strategy guide (and if you're using a strategy guide, what do you want to play on Hard for?) Having read some disparaging comments about the difficulty of Normal in a FAQ, I (unprepared) tried Hard. Certain bits of it are soul-crushingly difficult, at least if you don't have any idea what you're supposed to be doing with your party. Having gone back and started again on Normal, I have to say that it's no walk in the park either... it just means that when a boss surprises you with an elemental reflection, you might not be dead (as opposed to Hard, where you pretty much are dead as soon as the boss takes you out of your gameplan).
10-29-2005 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : So I brought Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call (/Nocturne) (What does that mean anyway?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com