Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : drod won't start
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
IP: Logged
icon drod won't start (0)  
I installed build 27, imported two players (but didn't play them). I created a new player, completed level 1 and part of level 2 and quit the game to report a bug.

Now drod does not start. When I try it uses about 90% of my CPU to do nothing. I've let it go for a while, to see if it might do something, but seems the only way to stop it is to kill the process.
07-06-2003 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lucretia
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
icon Re: drod won't start (0)  
Just happened to me as well.

I had upgraded to build 27 earlier and was playing..um I can't remember whose level set but I believe it's the wine cellar one. I left it open in the background while I did other things. Then I shut it. I came back an hour later and it wouldn't start.

drod.err says:
This is what happened while initializing sound:

FMOD.DLL version matches import library.
FSOUND_Init(44100, CHANNEL_COUNT, 0) failed.
FSOUND_Init(22050, CHANNEL_COUNT, 0) failed.
FSOUND_Init(11025, CHANNEL_COUNT, 0) failed.
FSOUND_Init(44100, SAMPLE_CHANNEL_COUNT, 0) failed.
FMOD Error #7: Error setting cooperative level for hardware.

But I believe it said this prior to.

[Edited by lucretia on 07-08-2003 at 05:00 PM]
07-08-2003 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
This happened to me on a previous build:

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=630

It was fixed in the next build, but perhaps it is back?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-08-2003 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snicker
Rank Points: 30
Slowly, but surely, I'm losing my installations of DROD :(
I've got 4 corrupted installations on my HD now (I'm keeping them in case you guys want me to do something with them).

This latest one baffles me completely. I didn't install any new holds - just played a few rooms in one, but sure enough, DROD won't start any more :(
07-10-2003 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Urgh...I posted in another thread that the bug where DROD won't start (just sits and eats up processor cycles) is due to the data files being corrupted. Not just having bad room or hold data, but the file is completely broken. Not sure what could cause that -- maybe it's indirectly caused by other crashing bugs which cause the files from being saved correctly on exit, and by fixing those this will be fixed as well -- but in any event, it regrettably means the data files are now bad and most likely DROD must be reinstalled.

If anyone has an ideas whether this symptom (DROD no longer starts) is caused by something specific, please don't hesitate to let me know!

I can't fix what I can't see. -- Old Chinese Proverb ;)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-10-2003 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snicker
Rank Points: 30
I'm almost positive we can duplicate it - my suggestion to you is to create a special beta build just for us to replicate this bug, hand mail it to the people who're certain they can replicate it, and let them do so, then mail you the special log file.
Oh, did I mention that this special build needs to log EVERYTHING?
When beta-testing A Tale in the Desert, we had to use this technique several times to track certain difficult bugs.
07-11-2003 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : drod won't start
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com