Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Eighth Level : 1 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
wyntor
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Eighth Level : 1 East (0)  
Ok, snakes can't be killed. I can't go anywhere else.
What's the secret to this room?
Or is there somewhere else I can go?
10-11-2005 at 01:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wyntor
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Eighth Level : 1 East (0)  
Nm, I got it.
Thanks anyway.
10-11-2005 at 01:35 PM
dmeps
Sorry, guys, I seem to be the only one stupid enough not to crack it! Even when the half o'the snakes are gone, I don't know what to do. Going to the left leads to no new passages. Going South, leads to the room where the yellow gates don't open. Help, please! Thanks!
10-15-2005 at 06:18 PM
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
You cannot conquer 1E right now, so you will need to go somewhere else. There *are* more passages leading to rooms you can conquer in 1S 1E, namely West and East.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 10-15-2005 06:21 PM]
10-15-2005 at 06:21 PM
dmeps
Thanks for the quickone, but... Well, I've been there already. I'm on my way back from that bloody Hooker - sorry for the pun! - and, looking at the level scheme here, I see only two rooms I wasn't in: 1N1W and 1N1E. So I don't know how to get there.
10-15-2005 at 06:36 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
If the Slayer has chased you this far then it shouldn't be difficult to solve this one. I can only think of one reason you might be stuck:
Click here to view the secret text

"Oook!"
10-15-2005 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
dmeps
If I only knew how to get to the orb in this room!
10-15-2005 at 06:57 PM
Alneyan
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Eighth Level : 1 East (+1)  
Well, I guess you have strayed out of the path then, and took an already explored path instead of the "get out of here" one. You should perhaps try to restore to an earlier room with the Slayer in tow (like the ones down in the south), and go back from here. More specifically:

10-15-2005 at 07:09 PM
dmeps
Oh thanks! I wasn't that stupid after all, it seems: I was just blind enough to not hit the orb on my way up!
10-15-2005 at 07:26 PM
rikyo
Rank Points: 12
:~(

No problem getting through, but I've forgotten what Beethro said already :blush

So rather than start another thread, I've tacked this on to this one. Can someone message me? Many thanks.

--rikyo
12-27-2005 at 07:23 PM
Alneyan
You can use the Restore screen to get back to the entrance of the room to start this room anew (by clicking on the Room Start button), and you should get Beethro's little speech. If it fails, you could restore to a previous room, and re-enter the room where you missed some speech (it shouldn't be necessary here, though).
12-27-2005 at 07:40 PM
rikyo
Rank Points: 12
Alneyan wrote:
You can use the Restore screen to get back to the entrance of the room to start this room anew (by clicking on the Room Start button), and you should get Beethro's little speech. If it fails, you could restore to a previous room, and re-enter the room where you missed some speech (it shouldn't be necessary here, though).

Umm... I'm on a later level and I need to remember. Restoring will destroy all my progress beyond that room.
12-27-2005 at 08:56 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
No it won't. If you restore to an earlier level, you can always restore back to where you are currently. I suggest before you do that though, you stand on a checkpoint or something, since it will probably only let you restore back to the start of your current room, or occasionally an earlier pass through it. Step on a checkpoint and you can restore to there at any stage.
12-27-2005 at 09:01 PM
Alneyan
Hmm, perhaps the Restore function needs to be better explained. Restore does not destroy your progress per se, but alters your current progress state (the message is kind of misleading), kind of like time travelling. Great once you get the hang of it, though somewhat confusing at first.

Basically, you would want to do something like that:
- Create a "save" point in your current room. If you have just entered a new room, it should be fine. You can also use a checkpoint for this purpose (it's a bit more obvious, and the latest always applies, unlike the "entry points" saves). This makes a "snapshot" of your current progress.
- Go into the Restore screen, and check where you currently are, if necessary. This allows you to check that you *will* come back to the same exact point once you are done with that other room.
- Restore to the other room, and do what you want to do.
- Once you are done, go back to the Restore screen and select the room you used as "snapshot". Restore into this room, and you are back to the same point.

I'm not sure if it is really clear, though; if it isn't, feel free to post more.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 12-27-2005 09:07 PM]
12-27-2005 at 09:06 PM
jophur
Rank Points: 14
Arghh. I feel like I've accidentally outsmarted the level and screwed myself out of ever completing it. Here's my situation:

But if I understand correctly, I need to get to that tunnel to clear the optional room (once east) and get out of dodge.

Am I missing something? Is there a simple path that I'm just no longer seeing for the trees? My problem isn't really specific to one room, so I'm putting it here, since this is the room I'm currently trying to find a path to clear...

Thanks.
01-08-2006 at 11:39 PM
jophur
Rank Points: 14
I kind of solved my problem with one caveat. If you're struggling with this, read on:

Here's the caveat:

01-10-2006 at 06:26 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
jophur wrote:
Here's the caveat:
Conquering a secret room counts regardless of whether or not you restore away from it later. For example, if you had totally missed a secret room (which is likely), restoring back, conquering it, and then restoring to where you left off will count that secret room towards the Mastering statistic. So yes, it is possible to get to that room and leave (I think you are meant to do it on the way in) but if you come back much later it will still count.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-10-2006 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jcobleigh
Level: Legendary Architect
Rank Points: 25
Alneyan wrote:
More specifically:

I'm having trouble with the Eighth Level. I see that I need to use the exit mentioned in the secret I quoted, but I can't get there. There seems to be a secondary path through the rooms of this level that I can't seem to enter.
01-16-2006 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Once you drop the blue door (get the "Exit Level!" message) then you will be able to go through that secondary passage. I believe you enter it from 3S 1E.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-16-2006 at 01:01 AM
jcobleigh
Level: Legendary Architect
Rank Points: 25
Oneiromancer wrote:
Once you drop the blue door (get the "Exit Level!" message) then you will be able to go through that secondary passage. I believe you enter it from 3S 1E.

Got it. I didn't see the green doors on 5S-1E that open when you clear that room. It's amazing how the obvious is so easy to miss.
01-16-2006 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Eighth Level : 1 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com