Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Deep Hold : Level Twenty - The Factory II : 3 North, 1 West (Seems impossible)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
talund
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 95
IP: Logged
icon Deep Hold : Level Twenty - The Factory II : 3 North, 1 West (0)  

This is a room where you are required to clear the trap doors to get at the tar mother. Several things seem to make it impossible, however. First, at 1 there appears to be a bug in the program. The picture here is different from what actually appears at the room start. This shows the right side of the wall to be only two squares long and the left to be four squares. At the room start, each wall is in fact four squares long and there appears to be no way to clear these trap doors. You can only clear the first two, then there is a 3x2 piece of tar as to which access is blocked by the walls on each side (and there are not crumbly walls here). Second, at 2 there are four traps in the following pattern surrounded by walls.

--c-- c=crumbly wall entrance, x = traps. - = solid walls
--xx-
-xx--
----
----
----

I cannot seem to clear this area and trigger the traps without leaving a tar baby stuck in the lower solid wall area.

Third, at 3 there are 3 traps to be cleared. The configuration is as follows:

-----
--x--
-xxcc
-----

No matter what I do, I seem to end up with a 3x2 covering the lower two traps which I cannot reach from any angle or a 2x2 that covers the left lower trap.

I am ready to give up on this Hold because of this room which is frustrating because of the progress to date.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
10-06-2005 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
talund
Rank Points: 95
icon Re: Deep Hold : Level Twenty - The Factory II : 3 North, 1 West (0)  
Bummer. I was enjoying this hold, it had many challenges.

Thanks.
10-06-2005 at 05:36 PM
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
wallu wrote:
Point 1 is now solvable but I have exactly same problems as talund in points 2 and 3. Are those possible?
Short answer: Yes.

02-11-2006 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bocdoc
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Can anyone shed any light on how you cut the tar at points 2 & 3? I always end up with a 2x2 blob of tar. Thanks
03-06-2008 at 04:37 AM
Judi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Ditto the above, I am fine with all but those two areas no matter what I do, help would be realy appreciated as I don't want to give up on this hold now that I am so close. Thanks very much.

Judi
07-14-2008 at 09:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170

File: drodscreen.jpg (104.7 KB)
Downloaded 111 times.
License: Public Domain
Around those two points, you should clear as little tar as possible. Cut your way into the problem spots, wait for the tar to grow back, then clear them out.

The attached screenshot shows how to do area 3. Get into the position shown in the screenshot, wait for the mother to spawn, then clear it out.
07-14-2008 at 09:34 AM
Judi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Thanks CuriousShyRabbit, will keep trying.

Judi
07-14-2008 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Songsmith
Rank Points: 38

File: DeepHold L20 3N 1W stuck.jpg (76.9 KB)
Downloaded 53 times.
Well I agree with everyone else about the NW corner of the room... it's impossible. I have attached a Jpeg file of my second-best attempt (my best attempt leaves a baby on top of the wall that can't be got at). Can anyone please tell me how this section can be finished? (I even tried doing it the same way as the SW corner that others have had difficulties with... but that blob won't grow, so that doesn't work.)I cannot see any way of doing it, despite all the discussion that's already happened about this room.

Thank you
Jan

[Last edited by Songsmith at 04-21-2009 05:25 PM]
04-21-2009 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170

File: drodscreen.jpg (103.2 KB)
Downloaded 93 times.
icon Re: Deep Hold : Level Twenty - The Factory II : 3 North, 1 West (+1)  
Tar doesn't grow back onto walls, so you have to be very careful when you clear it off walls. In your case, the tar won't grow where you need it because you've cleared too much off the walls. Here is a screenshot I made just before successfully clearing that northwest spot.
04-21-2009 at 06:40 PM
Songsmith
Rank Points: 38
Aaahh!!! Thank you :thumbsup I've been hitting my head against this particular brick wall for some time, but now light dawns!

Onwards and upwards (or should that be 'downwards'!)

Jan

04-22-2009 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Deep Hold : Level Twenty - The Factory II : 3 North, 1 West (Seems impossible)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com