Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Write a good story (Read the rules and play along)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ArchMageOmega
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 9
IP: Logged
icon Write a good story (0)  
This started here. All the pieces from there have been moved though.

So first, here's the rules. (Modified from the original version.)

1) Try not to post off topic. If someone has to for some reason, qualify it as off-topic.
2) When adding to the story, make sure your part follows the existing story line. Plot twists are good, but don't suddenly change something drastic without a good explanation.
3) When you start writing a piece, post to let others know to wait a bit before writing themselves, then edit that post to add your piece of the story. If someone posts that they will be adding a piece, they have about 2 or 3 hours to do so, or at least edit their post asking for a little more time. Otherwise, someone else can say they will add something.
4) Try to post a paragraph or 2 when you post. One or two sentences isn't enough.
5) Have fun (even though the story itself is somewhat serious). :)

Scroll down below the old posts to find the start of the story.

[Last edited by ArchMageOmega at 10-01-2005 05:48 AM]
09-28-2005 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Question for the Forum Game Mods (0)  
I'm not a mod, but I can tell you that this forum would be an appropriate place for this kind of game. If I may make a suggestion, though: start a new one for the DROD forum. Unless you're dead set on continuing that one.

even though it has nothing to do with DROD

Most games on the Forum Games forum have nothing to do with DROD.

09-28-2005 at 02:09 AM
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
I'm not a mod too, but this kind of thing has been tried before; here and here for example.
09-28-2005 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ArchMageOmega
Well, I would like to continue with the story that's already going (I'd copy what's been said). As for the other story threads, the word limits make the results somewhat... well... whatever you'd call that. :) I guess my main question for the mods, though, is if it'd be alright to link here.
09-28-2005 at 03:29 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
So you want to post a link to our forum in another forum that is visited by many people who enjoy playing games? How dare you!!?!

But seriously.... umm, sure. No problem.

09-28-2005 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chris
Rank Points: 144
Well, you already linked from here, and I don't think anyone ever minds extra links into their site.

You might want to consider adding a rule that people should post when they start writing, or you could well get 2 people writing at the same time again. Say you post that you're starting, then if you didn't post anything within 2 (?) hours, you've missed your chance and it's free for all again.
09-28-2005 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ArchMageOmega
That's a good idea. I'll post rules and the first three parts tomorrow. (I've got to go to sleep for now. :) )
09-28-2005 at 04:12 AM
ArchMageOmega
Sorry, work's had me out late for a while. Hopefully I can do this tomorrow. I want to read what the next person writes. :)
09-30-2005 at 06:46 AM
ArchMageOmega
icon Re: Writing a good story (0)  
By: ArchMageOmega
---------------------------- Part 1 ----------------------------

Niklas lived on the edge of town with his older brother, Leonas, and sister, Caris. His parents had passed away a few years ago during the last war. His father was a Unit Commander in the army and his mother was a Medic. They were both gifted and everyone had high hopes for his siblings, and him.

All three of them were offered full scholarships to the Royal Academy after their parents' death. Niklas was still too young to attend the academy so Leonas and Caris too turns caring for him while the other went off to study.

One day, while Caris was cooking dinner, Niklas went out to gather some firewood. The sun was a great, red disk hovering over the trees around town. "I've got at least an hour," thought Niklas.

Under the trees, it seemed like night had already fallen, but Niklas wasn't afraid. He had grown up here and knew these woods well. It hadn't rained much lately, so dry twigs weren't hard to come by. Soon he was out of sight of his house and heading deeper into the woods.

As night approached, the darkness grew and Niklas noticed a think blanket of fog forming over the ground. It was making it hard to find good firewood, so he decided to head back. After a walking a while, he began to worry. "I should be able to see home by now."

As he walked on, the fog grew deeper.

10-01-2005 at 05:21 AM
ArchMageOmega
By: Dr. Moreau
--------------------Part II------------------------------------------------------------------

"Niklas," groaned a voice deep from within the silken fog.

Stopping in his tracks, Niklas tried to peer into the fog, but could not see thru it. He cast his eyes skyward and realized the the sun was nowhere to be found. Again the voice groaned his name and he could feel his blood run cold. "Who is that? What do you want?"

A low, menacing growl more so than a laugh echoed from all around him. "I want you little Niklas ... I want you!"

Holding tightly to the largest of the twigs, he dropped the remaining at his feet. Holding his breath, he listened to the woods. His ears scanned for any leaves crunch, twigs snap, or any sign of life. The only sound he heard was the pounding of his heart beating in his ears. He slowly exhaled, but the volume of his heart would not subside.

"Just like a little drum, Niklas," the voice growled again from somewhere in the fog. "Padda-doom, pudda-doom, pudda -doom." Chanted the voice in mockery of his heartbeat.

The voice was all around him, yet nowhere. Niklas swang the twig bundle bat around him. "Show yourself, coward!"

"Pudda-doom, pudda-doom - hehehe."

Niklas swung to his left but found nothing. Then to his right, but all he found was the thick twirl of fog. "Show yourself!" he shout in a desperating momentum of anger and fear.

A hand gripped him about his shoulder. Turning, he swung the twig bat as hard as he could and felt the rebound of a solid and the spray of liquid heat. A single word was heard as the figure fell away into the fog, "Nikki?"

Running down the twigs was the unmistakeable sight of blood. Thick, viscus, and warm. Approaching the crumpled figure on the ground, a single thought went through Niklas' mind, "Caris!" Kneeling, he held his sisters bleeding head. "What have I done? What have I done?"

"The same that I am going to do to you, hehehe" bellowed the voice as the fog began to engulf both Niklas and Caris.

10-01-2005 at 05:21 AM
ArchMageOmega
By: theperson
--------------------Part III-----------------------------------------------------------------

Niklas curled into a tight ball, trying to shield Caris' body from whatever might be out there. "Don't be dead, Caris, don't be dead," he whimpered, rocking back and forth in fear and shame.

The fog swirled in, thicker and thicker, tendrils of it gliding across his face like ghostly fingers. "Goodbye Niklas, it has been fun playing with you," the voice rang out. The tendrils wrapped around his body, squeezing him - it was as if the fog had come alive.

Niklas leapt up and cried for help, but he found he could no longer speak. On the ground beneath he saw Caris twitching helplessly as the tendrils of fog - if that was what it really was - wrapped around her as well. And then Niklas found he was losing feeling in his body. His arms and legs felt like leaden weights; immovable, useless. He was barely aware of falling to the ground. In fact, he may not have noticed he had fell if he hadn't seen Caris' face right next to his all of a sudden.

The pounding of his heartbeat deafened him, and his chest seemed to burn, reminding him of his inability to breath or even to speak. Niklas noticed that Caris was not twitching so much any more and her face was completely ashen, with the deep red of her blood trickling down her forehead providing a stark contrast in color.

Niklas realized that both of them were going to die there, alone. A rage welled up from deep within him. "NO!" he shouted, finding his voice. "We will not die here! Never!"

Mocking laughter rang in his ears, but he could not tell where from. "Niklas, it is time for you to sleep."

"Never" Niklas said, but his voice was growing distant. It was as if he was hearing another person saying 'never', but he was sure those words were his own.

Sleep, Niklas. For now you will sleep. He wasn't sure who was saying that, or if it had even been spoken. In fact, he couldn't make out anything around him. His senses appeared to have just stopped working. What sensations he did have left would have confused him, but he was unable to even feel that. His body was like a floating leaden weight - sinking and soaring all at the same time.

What about Caris? Some part of his mind seemed to be asking him. With great effort he opened his eyes to see how she was, and saw her gliding away from him. Or were there dark shapes dragging her away? He could not tell. Darkness flooded his vision, and then a complete cessation of all feeling engulfed him.

Time seemed to pass, but it had an ethereal quality to it. Voices? There seemed to be voices, but they were distant - yet the voices grew closer until he could just barely hear one.

"Niklas?"

At once, everything rushed back to him. Caris - where was Caris? His eyes opened to a blinding light.

"Niklas, where is Caris? What have you done Niklas?"

He shielded his eyes with his arm, realizing he was flat on his back staring at the sun. Looking around he saw that to his left was his roll of twigs, crusted with dry blood; to his right was a pretty golden necklace, with a single pearl adorning its front. The necklace Caris always wore. It too had blood stains.

And standing over Niklas, an accusing, angry look on his face was his older brother Leonas.

"Niklas," he repeated, his voice low and dangerous. "What did you do?"

10-01-2005 at 05:22 AM
DrMoreau
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Write a good story (0)  
------------PART IV------------------

"Leonas," stammered Niklas. "The fog was alive. There was this voice ... all around me-"

"Where is Caris!" demanded Leonas as he reached down and grabbed his little brother by his arm and hoisted him to his feet. "Damn it, Nikki, where is she?"

Niklas' head swam with the sudden movement. His body ached in ways he had never known. His legs were limp and could barely maintain his weight. Falling back to his knees, he thought he would vomit, and did. "I don't know," he uttered. "The fog, it drained here. I tried to fight it. It dragged her away."

Leonas knelt beside his brother and picked up the golden necklace that laid in the dirt and leaves. He rubbed the pearl between his thumb and index finger and watched the dried blood flake away. "Look at me," he said gently gripping his brothers chin and looking deep into his eyes. His pupils were dialated to the point that only a thin sliver of grey outlined it. He tilted Niklas' his head to and fro and examined for any marks. Small red blothches, much like that left behind by a leech, ringed his neck and cheeks.

Standing, Leonas lifted Niklas into his arms and sat him atop his chesnut colored steed. "It's not your fault, Nikki ... it's not your fault." Taking hold of the reigns, he led the horse and Niklas back to their home, as he walked along side flipping the gold chain and pearl clockwise around his fingers, then wintershins to unwind it; repeatedly, over and over.

Niklas was afraid to speak. Not of his brother, but as to not sound insane. He hesitated speaking until the silence deafened even the horses hoofs. "The fog was alive, Leonas. It moved and breathed. And there was this voice ... as thick as the fog."

"Don't speak of it, Niklas."

"But it knew me, Leo. It knew my name. It-"

"Wanted you, Niklas." Leonas turned to his brother but never looked up at him. "It wants you still. It wants us all."

"What wants us?"

Leonas didn't reply. He continued walking in silence. He continually flipping the gold necklace around his fingers, back and forth, without a word.

Niklas too remained quiet. Soon they would be at home. Soon they would be safe. Soon he would find out what had transpired last night in the fog.

[Last edited by DrMoreau at 10-02-2005 03:55 AM]
10-02-2005 at 03:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ArchMageOmega
icon Re: Write a good story (-1)  
-------- OFF TOPIC --------

Sorry to post off topic, but http://www.escapethefog.com/... :angry :? :P :~( :|

Anyway, I'll try and post something new soon. (I've gotta think of something first...)

---------------------------

[Last edited by ArchMageOmega at 10-05-2005 04:16 AM]
10-05-2005 at 04:16 AM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
The morning sun steadily rose in the sky streaked with red. It was as red as the blood of soldiers long dead, and brought to mind images of war. The clashing and clanging of those far off legends could almost be heard in the stillness as Niklas and Leonas walked home. Lost in their own thoughts they both hearkened back to the stories told them as boys. Stories of heroic men, who fought hideous demons. Stories that would make the blood run cold with the sheer terror of it. Stories that when told, would make the very earth shiver.

Niklas had never in his life imagined that those old wives tales where real, yet now he began to wonder. If demons existed, would they not find it amusing to harm a mere mortal? If so, would they truly have a "shape" that he could see, or even fight? Mayhap he had witness the acts of a malicious demon, mistaking his aura for a fog.

As the cry of a loon will startle a man, so did Leonas' voice startle Niklas, "When we get back you must tell the elders exactly what happened. Every detail must be perfect. Do not leave anything out."
After regaining his composure, Niklas exlaimed, "But what can they do Leo? How could they possibly help us find Caris? They are but old decripit men, they have no spine and do nothing but bicker all day. What hope is there in them?", Passionatly, with fire in his eye, he continued "When my own flesh and blood is taken from me I want action, not some foolish old man's thoughts on the matter!"
"Niklas! You know as well as I do that they are far wiser than us. Maybe they can give us information on what strange apparition clouded your mind in such a way."

With noon approaching, Niklas and Leonas strode into town. Their faces were grim, as grim as death itself.
10-13-2005 at 04:41 AM
DrMoreau
Rank Points: 10
------------VI-----------
Caris laid soft upon the satin sheets and downy pillows. Her skin as white as porcelin, only slightly betrayed by small delicate brown freckles, was still warm to the touch. Her auburn hair like silken strans draped neatly around her face with great care. Not quite dead and wholey not alive, she existed in a null state of suedo grace.

"Soon the Night of Falkus will reach it's zenith," uttered an old and doddering man as stared out the window. His youth had long since past him in ages long gone bye. His silver hair and long whispy beard gently lilted in the windows breeze. "Soon, this vessel will be yours, oh great Xores. Soon you will be able to fulfill your destiny."

"What are you going on about, Rueslar?"

"The zenith, my lord." replied old Rueslar as he turned from the window. "The zenith will soon be upon us."

"Yes, yes, I heard that part. What was that about fulfilling my destiny?"

Rueslar fumbled his hand free from beneath his overly cumbersom robe's sleave and pointed to the star constellation map upon the wall. "Xores will soon be in conjunction with Falkus."

"Yes, yes, I understand how the Night of Falkus works."

"But, Euril is in it's 12th house. As you can see here." Rueslar boney finger pointed at a small green star on the map. "Euril is only in this position once every 60 years. You see, Euril is a slow moving star and only transverse it's houses every five years-"

"Your point, Rueslar!"

Holding one finger up in a gesture just a second, Rueslar shuffled over to the large book that sat at the foot of the bed. Lighting the candle, an etheral green glow emitted from the candle, the book, and Caris. "Euril and Falkus' love was to be denied. Being that their loves was veiled for 5 years from the seeing eyes of Tallioc, forever hence will they be banished apart."

"And?"

"And? And you say." Rueslar threw his hands in the air and then upon his balded brow. "She is a child of Euril," he announced pointing at Caris. "She has be struck down by a loved one. She has been embraced by the love of a child of Falkus."

"Me? But of course, a child of Falkus ..."

"Yes, my lord. As is all your kind; except that they don't have a child of Euril. But the one of you who can reflame her heart of passion ..."

"Shall inherit the power of both. Indeed. Rueslar, you are not the doddering old idiot I have been led to believe. I wondered what your plan to kidnap this child was all about."

"If you remeber, my lord, I tried for her grandmother some years back."

"Ah, yes. Under are initial arrangement. But how did you know that she would be one and not one of her brothers?

Walking back to the window, Rueslar pointed downward to the street. Amung the myriad of swirling people 2 figures glowed in red; Leonas and Niklas. "Because they are children of Tallioc, as was thier father."

10-16-2005 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Write a good story (Read the rules and play along)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com