Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : No more math ! (Yay !)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon No more math ! (+1)  
I passed my last math exam few days ago. The struggle lasted 2 years, including several months of holidays taken due to health reasons. (no, not mental breakdown after another failed exam).

I'll have much more free time now, at least until end of the month. I should do something about my hold, which has only several rooms so far (I deleted my hold by accident, and had to rebuild all rooms except one - the one that took longest to playtest and optimise). I started learning Python, too (why didn't you tell me it was named after Monthy Python?>?! Documentations says M.P. references are not so much nice to see as encouraged ). It's hard to say anything about it at this point.

The main problem with DROD will be fact that I don't have root access here. I have DROD installed back home, but no internet. I suppose it's impossible to install without root.

Anyway, math is nowhere on horizon now. If I remember correctly it may be present on 3rd year of my studies (advanced probability is said to involve integrals), but otherwise Yay !
---------
And being such a badger as myself, I'll no doubt procastinate some nasty exams in this year, too. Because holidays without exams aren't fun, trust me.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 09-16-2005 09:53 AM]
09-16-2005 at 09:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: No more math ! (+1)  
Your elation reminded me of this quote from bash.org:

<FreshBrew> IM DONT MATH FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE
<FreshBrew> HELL ******* YES
<kolby> you still in english?

Of course, your English is excellent, but that's what it reminded me of.

09-16-2005 at 11:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: No more math ! (0)  
b0rsuk wrote:
The main problem with DROD will be fact that I don't have root access here. I have DROD installed back home, but no internet. I suppose it's impossible to install without root.
DROD AE is possible to install without root access, as I installed it on my school's computer last year. I'm not entirely sure about JtRH, but I'd bet dollars to donuts it would be. You just need to install it locally, and life should work out good.

09-16-2005 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Both AE and JtRH (and TCB, etc) can be installed as a regular user. Just run the installer like normal, and it'll pick up that you're not root and set the default install path to a subdir of your home directory. I've done it myself many times.

(The only exception to this is if your home directory is mounted with no-exec permissions, as this prevents running anything in your home directory.)

- Gerry
09-16-2005 at 05:07 PM
b0rsuk
Oh, and one further thing: I have 800x600 only (really old monitor), as opposed to 1280x1024 lcd (home). 1024 is a requirement if I remember correctly. I'll check once I get back from work, don't repply.

At least gccg works.

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 09-16-2005 05:09 PM]
09-16-2005 at 05:08 PM
trick
Yeah, you need 1024x768 for JtRH. Sorry. You could run X with a virtual desktop size of 1024x768 within the real resolution of 800x600, but that means scrolling the screen to see everything.

Are you sure it's the monitor, though ? If it's the video card, maybe you could achieve 1024x768 if you run X in 16-bit (or even 8-bit) in stead of 24/32-bit.

(You should be able to start your own instance of X, btw, so you don't need write access to the system-wide config to change any of this).

- Gerry
09-16-2005 at 05:43 PM
b0rsuk
Hmm. I'm stupid. The old monitor is no longer here.

But the old xfree86config is, and - as I said - I have no root access. End of story.

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 09-16-2005 08:32 PM]
09-16-2005 at 08:31 PM
trick

File: sdlresize.so (7.1 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Other
icon Re: No more math ! (+4)  
b0rsuk wrote:
But the old xfree86config is, and - as I said - I have no root access. End of story.
Nope :). If we can't change X, we can change DROD in stead! Well, kind of. I hacked together a preload-library for you that can override SDL and resize DROD into whatever resolution you want at runtime. It just does a very plain resize for speed reasons (it resizes the entire screen every frame in real time ..), so some of the text and secret walls won't be as easy to see, but it should allow you to run the game, at least. It does run pretty well even at my 500mhz antique, so I don't think you should have any speed issues.

Anyway, here's how to use it:

1. Download the attached library and put it wherever you installed DROD (top dir, not in Libs).
2. Edit the drod-jtrh launch script file. Add this line right before the last line:
export LD_PRELOAD="$JTRH_HOME/sdlresize.so"
3. Save the changes, and launch DROD (using the script). Voila!

The library will resize into 800x600 by default. For other resolutions, you can set the SDLRESIZE variable to the resolution you want (SDLRESIZE=width,height). For example, SDLRESIZE=640,480 will resize to 640x480. Don't try to scale upwards, it will probably result in a segfault.

Have fun :)

Also: I was so busy being off topic in your thread that I forgot to congratulate you on your exam. Congratulations!

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 09-17-2005 01:22 PM]
09-17-2005 at 01:12 PM
b0rsuk
icon Re: No more math ! (+1)  
Hmm.

Some solutions are just too obvious to be found. I have no idea why I didn't discover it.

Anyway, thanks. Neither as fast or as pretty as DROD:AE, but it works. Turning alpha blending off didn't help as much as I expected.

09-17-2005 at 09:20 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : No more math ! (Yay !)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com