Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Crazy MTG combos (crazy card combinations)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Crazy MTG combos (0)  
Feel free to post some weird combos. All combos I post here I discovered myself, even if someone did that earlier. I love discovering combos.
For those of you who are unlucky to play cardboard version, I print rarities next to each combo.

Mycosynth Lattice + Furnace Dragon
R R

Lattice makes all permanents artifacts. The dragon costs 1 less for each artifact you control. All mana on spells is treated as colorless.
When the dragon comes into play, remove all artifacts from the game. In this case - all permanents, including dragon. With some help like Seething Song, you need only 4 lands to pull it off. Chrome mox would help, too, but it's too expensive to me.
The combo is so cheap (after Lattice hits table), that you can easily cast Slith Firewalker or Arcbound Slith for 2 mana from pool. And these are very dangerous with no permanents on the table.
----------
2.Mycosynth Lattice + Megatog
R R

This one is pretty straightforward. With Lattice on the table, you should have at least 5-7 artifacts other than Megatog. Megatog is 3/4 and gets +3/+3 trample for each artifact it eats. Sacrifice 6 and you have 21/22 trampler this turn.

-----------
3. Mycosynth Lattice + Kataki, War Wage
R R
Kataki's ability essentially is: during each player's upkeep, that player has to pay 1 for each artifact.

You need either Second Sunrise (rare?), which can make you survive 1 turn unharmed.... or lots of mana. You'll have 2 permanents that can't pay for themselves, - Kataki, and Lattice.
You can use 2 Ur-Golem's Eyes (UC), one Gilded Lotus (R), or one Extraplanar Lens (R). The last one is my favourite, because it helps to speed up Lattice, too.
If you have 2 excess mana, your opponent is locked for the rest of game. He can, of course, cast Naturalize or Shatter once he finds it, but Kataki has power of 2 and can deal some serious damage before that happens... and that will cost him 2 lands.
--------------------

Another card I abused to no end was Spikeshot Goblin. for R, T: it deals damage equal to each power to target creature or player.Very fun uncommon. You don't need many rares this time.
Notable cards:

Fists of Anvil (or sth) - power boost of 4 for 2 mana.
Bonesplitter - very cheap equipment granting 2 power.
Loxodon Warhammer - by far my favourite equipment, but expensive (and rare). +3 power and life gain for damage dealt - not just combat damage !
Captive Flame (UC) - decentralized Firebreathing. Can help your entire team and only enchantment removal will stop it. Especially fun with Extraplanar Lens (R) - wild damage output with goblin.
For Captive Flame, I suggest using a lot of first strikers, which fit this deck nicely. Akki Coalflinger, Goblin Striker, Goblin Brawler is ok but not as good.
----------------------

My last combo, unfortunately almost all rares:

Myojin of Life's Web + Weird Harvest.

Weird harvest allows each player to search his library for x creatures and put them into hand. Myojin's ability is to put any amount of creatures your from hand to play.
Too risky ? Not at all. All you need is to include single copies of Mindslicer and Nantuko Husk. Once Mindslicer is sacrificed, players discard their hands, but you just put some fatties on the table.

Myojin costs 9 mana ! I remedy this by a lot of standard mana acceleration like Sakura-Tribe Elder and Kodama's Reach. But it's not enough. That's why I use Early Harvest, too (1GG - target player untaps all his basic lands). This way I can cast Myo with 6 lands instead of 9. Alternatively, you can do it with 5 lands and 2 harvests.

that's why I splashed some black - I never, ever play Mindslicer or Nantuko Husk outside my combo, but I use 4 copies of Diabolic Tutor.
--------
Another funny combo:

Akki Drillmaster + Fractured Loyalty (uncommons)
For cheap price you gain control of enchanted creature. Permanently, so you can play RedBlue and use Vedalken Mastermind to cheaply bounce Loyalty back to your hand and reuse it. Drillmaster triggers the loyalty and provides haste.
------

Booby Trap + Time Ebb
R UC/C

Set up the trap. Then use Time Ebb. Simple, 10 damage. You can put Overblaze for flavor.

If you use cards outside T2 I recommend Orcish Spy, Tahngarth's Gaze, Second Sight, Metamorphosis.
------------

oh, I forgot one combo with really old cards...
Mycosynth Lattice + Null Rod

It's crazy. No activated abilities can be used. Even if they're mana abilities of lands . If you have advantage on table or simply have more cards in library, you just won.

Oh, there are so many combos with Lattice... protection from artifacts, artifact destroyers like Echoing Ruin or Splinter, Granulate..
-----------
Wall of Blood + Spirit Link/Loxodon Warhammer
UC C/R

The hammer can keep your deck 100% black, but is more expensive to use. On a second thought, if you can play Rolling Stones... argh.

Wall of Blood can be pumped with your life, for no additional cost. Spirit Link or Hammer allow you to get your life back. If you're not scared of burn spells, you can pump it to 19/21. It's still a wall.
-----------
Natural Affinity +Pyroclasm/Shard Phoenix
R UC R
You can destroy all lands for cheap price.
---------
Natural Affinity + Echoing Decay
R UC
If your opponent plains mono colored deck, and not the same color as you... destroy all his lands !

===================

Is there demand for more combos ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 09-16-2005 09:28 AM : no reason, as usual]
09-16-2005 at 09:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Crazy MTG combos (0)  
You want crazy combos? Jump + Earthbind... I actually used that one to win once.

09-17-2005 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Crazy MTG combos (0)  
..why would you pay RU to....what, deal two damage to a creature? We have Shock already.
09-18-2005 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Crazy MTG combos (+1)  
Homura, Human Ascendant + Crack The Earth(to flip) followed by Natural Affinity

Flipped Homura gives +2/+2 flying and firebreathing to your creatures.
Natural Affinity provides you with an army of flying 4/4 lands. Basically everything that's not flipped Homura attacks, including my trusted Kird Ape, Llanowar Elves, Rukh Eggs, Utopia Trees...

Oh, and one of my favorites:
Confusion in the Ranks + Glitterfang
Whenever creature, enchantment, or artifact comes into play, it's controler exchanges control of it with another permanent oppobnent controls that shares type with it. (so if you cast a creature, you have to exchange it for another creature opponent controls).

Glitterfang ?
R
Haste
At the end of turn, return Glitterfang to owner's hand.
1/1
-----
Most common quote among people who played against it:
My head hurts.
It usually wins by waiting until opponent runs out of cards in library.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 09-18-2005 11:02 AM]
09-18-2005 at 10:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Crazy MTG combos (crazy card combinations)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com