Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Request: Modpoints for the people
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
IP: Logged
icon Request: Modpoints for the people (+2)  
Hum... I seldom have anything good to say, but others frequently do. I think it would be nice to get some modpoints once in a while to be able to reward posts I enjoyed. My sugestion is that everybody should get a modpoint every third day (or so) if they havenīt already gotten one during that three day period. :blush
09-15-2005 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Request: Modpoints for the people (+1)  
We then get a couple of issues. 1. Inflation. This doesn't seem that bad, especially if rank points are not changing, and it's something that might actually be a good thing (oddly enough). 2. Does/should this apply to inactive members?

Actually, I think this is a really good idea. Either that or have the moderators become more lenient in doling them out.

09-15-2005 at 02:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Actually, I've been pretty stingy. A while ago, I received 50 mod points for "being a good poster" that I was supposed to pass around, but I don't usually think to mod people up. So here's some points. Knock yourself out.

09-15-2005 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Thanks! I would mod you up if that wouldnīt cost me exactly those two modpoints you just gave me :)

But I still (obviously) think that itīs a good idea to let active members who reads the posts of the forum get a small sum of modpoints each week.
09-15-2005 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Request: Modpoints for the people (+2)  
Can't speak for the other mods, but I've been dealing out that blue stuff like candy*.

I think one problem is that people keep modding up the mods every time we post something, which is kind of a waste -- I mean, it's nice that people like my posts and all, but I don't really need any more mod points since I've got an infinite amount of them already. Use your powers on the great masses in stead, I say :)

- Gerry

* Actually that's not a very good analogy, since I don't usually have much candy lying around, and when I do I tend to eat large amounts of it myself. Specially if it's chocolate. Mmm.
09-15-2005 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Blondbeard, jump through this hoop, and I'll give you some mod points.

We've talked about different ways of handing out mod points automatically. A problem is that many of them (like the one you mentioned) are exploitable for rank point munchkinism by creating multiple accounts or coordinating between different users.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 09-15-2005 07:39 PM]
09-15-2005 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: Request: Modpoints for the people (0)  
What about this : Every 15 posts you get 4 mod points when no one of them have been modded down (this stops wild posting for mod points)

09-15-2005 at 07:44 PM
ErikH2000
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
What about this : Every 15 posts you get 4 mod points when no one of them have been modded down (this stops wild posting for mod points)
We learned earlier that an incentive to making more posts causes people to make worthless posts. Not bad posts, necessarily--just posts that clutter up the place without contributing.

-Erik

09-15-2005 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Erik wrote:
We've talked about different ways of handing out mod points automatically. A problem is that many of them (like the one you mentioned) are exploitable for rank point munchkinism by creating multiple accounts or coordinating between different users.

-Erik

What?? Do you really think that people would do that? Part of my point is that there ought to be some people on the forum who does a lot more of reading posts than posting posts. I think it would be nice if they too had the ability to mod the posts they read. Well :) No big deal...
09-15-2005 at 10:42 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Request: Modpoints for the people (+2)  
Hmmmm, sounds like mod-point communism. Posters of the world unite! Supreme rank power derives from a mandate of the people! Help help I'm being repressed. Power to the proletariat!

<-- gets his Marx condensed via Monty Python

Honestly, though, it doesn't take much to be modded up in a lot of places...

Fill out the arnold questionaire, or the welcome questionaire.
Tell us a joke.
Or how to tell when you play too much DROD
Or give some advice to a budding architect
Or enter a contest
Or start your own contest
Or help somebody out of a jam on H&S.
Or make a peanut butter and jam sandwich
Or jam somebody's radar
Or get stuck in a traffic jam

People who hang out here mostly just want to be amused. I find that consistently posting the most off the wall non-sequitors will usually garner one to two points per five posts. But that's just my personality. Seriously... ask my students.

09-15-2005 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
stigant wrote:
I find that consistently posting the most off the wall non-sequitors will usually garner one to two points per five posts. But that's just my personality. Seriously... ask my students.
Hmmmm... Right.
If I've had a teacher who thinks it's okay if I only get one to two points in every five questions, then I will pass school with top grades (unfortunately this is not true...)

But back to topic, sometimes I do find some posts so amusing that I'm really ashamed that I don't have the mod points to give...

-- Tim

PS. Why is it that modding a post from +3 to +4 costs less points than modding from +3 to +2?

[Last edited by Tim at 09-15-2005 11:21 PM]
09-15-2005 at 11:19 PM
ErikH2000
Blondbeard wrote:
What?? Do you really think that people would do that?
Yeah, based on past experiences I think we'd get one or two people doing it.
Part of my point is that there ought to be some people on the forum who does a lot more of reading posts than posting posts. I think it would be nice if they too had the ability to mod the posts they read. Well :) No big deal...
Well, the system is designed to reward quality posting. A lot of people reading is cool, but not nearly as good as having lots of posters. We might need some more mod points in the economy. I try to be liberal with them myself, but I don't read every post that comes through. Maybe the moderators just need to do more ranking. Also, I know there's a bunch of people that are sitting on their mod points. No reason to be stingy with them, folks!

Okay, here is a silly offer I'll put out just for today. For anybody willing to give up 1 rank point, I will give him 10 mod points. You can exchange as much as 10 rank points (for 100 mod points). Just post a reply here and say how many rank points you'll give up.

Or just go out and make good posts, and we'll all try to spot them and mod them.

-Erik

09-15-2005 at 11:19 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Well, I can admit that I've been a bit of a miser with mine, and I have a fair few of them on hand. Yeah, I'll try to reward good posts more often.

09-15-2005 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
trick wrote:
I think one problem is that people keep modding up the mods every time we post something, which is kind of a waste -- I mean, it's nice that people like my posts and all, but I don't really need any more mod points since I've got an infinite amount of them already. Use your powers on the great masses in stead, I say :)
Well, I certainly don't mind having the rank points, but I don't need the mod points. Perhaps we should make it so that it doesn't cost anything to mod up or down someone with infinite mod points, so this problem doesn't occur. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 09-16-2005 02:44 AM : rank <-> mod]
09-16-2005 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
patmo98
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
icon Re: Request: Modpoints for the people (+4)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Okay, here is a silly offer I'll put out just for today. For anybody willing to give up 1 rank point, I will give him 10 mod points. You can exchange as much as 10 rank points (for 100 mod points). Just post a reply here and say how many rank points you'll give up.

-Erik

I'd give up four, their are sevral holds that i'v wanted to mod up, and then it would be nice to have some extra.

[Last edited by patmo98 at 09-16-2005 03:01 AM]
09-16-2005 at 03:01 AM
Blondbeard
icon Re: Request: Modpoints for the people (+4)  
Nice :) I am somewhat gready about my rankpoints, but it is a really good bargain. I would also like to exchange four of my rankpoints for forty modpoints.
09-16-2005 at 04:39 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Request: Modpoints for the people (+10)  
10 rank points, 100 mod points.
09-16-2005 at 04:55 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Oneiromancer wrote:
Well, I certainly don't mind having the rank points, but I don't need the mod points. Perhaps we should make it so that it doesn't cost anything to mod up or down someone with infinite mod points, so this problem doesn't occur. ;)
I could agree with that. Simply have a flag that indicates that person is a "supplier to the system", and have them costless to mod up. Only problem with that is that those would end up having more mod points than everyone else, but they are technically higher than everyone else.

Then again, it should be a level playng field too, so it all depends on what Erik/Matt feels.

Edit@Blondbeard: It's been said a thousand times, and it'll probably be said a thousand more - RANK POINTS ARE MEANINGLESS!!! What really makes you respected is the quality of your posts and your general attitude, not some number.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 09-16-2005 05:15 AM]
09-16-2005 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Rank points are an excellent way for a newcomer to see who the respected posters are (or at the very least, old-timers)/if a poster is respected in the forum. I wouldn't say meaningless.

Besides-if meaningless, why do we have them?

09-16-2005 at 07:08 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
To be honest I don't care about rank points anymore nowadays. Okay, I'm lying a bit, but for me it's not so important anymore. Besides, it's much more fun giving points away :) Nowadays (because I've only have about 10 mod points) I'm just very stingy, and I'd rather not thinking about that many times before handing away some points for really good posts. That's why I would rather have mod points instead of rank points.

I'd gladly be willing giving 10 points away for 100 mod points.

-- Tim

09-16-2005 at 07:11 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
It doesn't really matter what any of the mods' rankpoint score is, as we can just ask Schik to change it to whatever we want.

09-16-2005 at 07:29 AM
Blondbeard
gamer_extreme_101
Edit@Blondbeard: It's been said a thousand times, and it'll probably be said a thousand more - RANK POINTS ARE MEANINGLESS!!! What really makes you respected is the quality of your posts and your general attitude, not some number.

:angry I know that. But Iīm the kind of lowest human scum who anyway just canīt stop caring about them a little. And I DO think that it looks better to be titulated "delver" than to be titulated "roachling" (especially since I do not feel like a roachling anymore. I feel Iīm starting to get the hang of this game.) My post above was ment kind of like a joke reflekting upon my own childishness.
09-16-2005 at 07:33 AM
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
I argued about mod and rank points so much, I probably got alot of users really mad at me. Maybe even permanently. Nowadays I am barely on cause of school and stuff and I don't really care about it except I want to be a smitemaster soon. It sounds like a really cool group. Usually users are the shortest time on Smiter cause then they know how to get rank points like mad. I seem to not be able to do that.
stigant wrote:
Or make a peanut butter and jam sandwich
Or jam somebody's radar
Or get stuck in a traffic jam...
Hey, pssst. You forgot the grape jam and the jelly. I hate both of them. Well, maybe not the grape jam.

[Last edited by rowrow at 09-16-2005 07:48 AM]
09-16-2005 at 07:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Blondbeard wrote:
:angry I know that. But Iīm the kind of lowest human scum who anyway just canīt stop caring about them a little. And I DO think that it looks better to be titulated "delver" than to be titulated "roachling" (especially since I do not feel like a roachling anymore. I feel Iīm starting to get the hang of this game.) My post above was ment kind of like a joke reflekting upon my own childishness.
Yeah, I'll admit titles are cool.

Fine. I'm an idiot.

09-16-2005 at 02:49 PM
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
ErikH2000 wrote:
-Erik

If this offer is still open I would like to exchange 10 rank points please.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
09-16-2005 at 02:58 PM
ErikH2000
Okay, I'm done making the exchanges for everyone that posted about them. That's it for now--no more exchanges!

-Erik

09-16-2005 at 09:51 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
....Okay, some crazy people modded me up to +10 for the losing 10 rank points for 100 mod points thing.

...Whoever you people are, you are awesome.
09-17-2005 at 04:07 AM
gamer_extreme_101
In my mind, it's pretty simple. Since you were concerned more about spreading the wealth than hoarding your personal treasure, it's only fitting that you get a little reward for your intentions.

09-17-2005 at 05:45 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Request: Modpoints for the people
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com