Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Sword stolen rooms
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
J.L.
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
IP: Logged
icon Sword stolen rooms (0)  
I'd like to see rooms where your begin the level without your sword. Your sword is placed in a spot in the room. Maybe it could be some powerful electro-magnet that snatches your sword when you enter the level. You have to make your way to the electro-magnet to retrieve your sword. Until then, you'll have to settle for chewing roach flavored bubblegum (as opposed to kicking ass).

Naturally, you magically get your sword back if you leave the room without retrieving it.

This could lead to some interesting scenarios. I can picture goblins and eyes chasing an unarmed Beethro through a maze, and then he finds the sword, makes some eyeball pudding, and chases the surviving goblins through the maze all over agian.
07-04-2003 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Sword stolen rooms (0)  
While the concept of this is interesting, and there could be some good puzzles (as you pointed out), I think it would take away from the game.

In all DROD of yet, the basic thing has been "Dude with sword kills monsters." Without the sword, dude can't kill monsters, save for snakes. There's also the problem of how the sword would be picked up.

07-04-2003 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Presumably it would be picked up by stepping on it.

I really dislike this though. As zex says, it would take away from the main style of DROD. It reminds me of those arcade style games where the monsters stick in a certain area and you can't kill them, you just have to avoid them.

No, Beethro needs some sort of weapon. Otherwise DROD merely becomes a game of dodge-the-monster. Bad.

"Oook!"
07-05-2003 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Well, there are ways to make a room with a similar feel, for example, have a big chamber of monsters that you can't beat without retreating to a certain point of the room and taking them on there.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-05-2003 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
J.L.
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
icon Re: Re: Sword stolen rooms (0)  
krammer wrote:
No, Beethro needs some sort of weapon. Otherwise DROD merely becomes a game of dodge-the-monster. Bad.
What do you think of Level 23? Or any other room where you're not allowed to kill all the monsters right away?
07-07-2003 at 12:57 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
But that's not "dodge the monster", that's "use the monster". Your idea would have goblins running towards Beethro, because he wouldn't have any defense. In fact, 23 is a perfect example for not losing the sword.

07-07-2003 at 03:48 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Sword stolen rooms
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com