Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Palace of Puzzles - JtRH Remake : Ground Floor : 2 North, 2 East ("Military Tactics" puzzle)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
IP: Logged

File: tactics.png (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 278 times.
License: Other
icon The Palace of Puzzles - JtRH Remake : Ground Floor : 2 North, 2 East (0)  
I understand what I'm supposed to be doing, but I can't find a way to cover the chessboard with any less than 19 lines (see secret image):

Click here to view the secret text

Am I right in assuming all the moves should be "rook moves" and that no square of the board is used twice?

Thanks.

Chris.

[Last edited by Chris at 09-10-2005 09:55 PM]
09-10-2005 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: The Palace of Puzzles - JtRH Remake : Ground Floor : 2 North, 2 East (+1)  
Chris wrote:
Am I right in assuming all the moves should be "rook moves" and that no square of the board is used twice?
Yes.

More hints in my other post here: http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=4583&page=0#46872

-- Tim

09-10-2005 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
icon Re: The Palace of Puzzles - JtRH Remake : Ground Floor : 2 North, 2 East (0)  
Thanks Tim - that's all I needed. :)

It's a shame that there are 2 holds with almost identical rooms - it means that these 'hint' threads get split between the 2.
09-11-2005 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chris
icon Re: The Palace of Puzzles - JtRH Remake : Ground Floor : 2 North, 2 East (+1)  
Tim, shouldn't your 2nd hint be changed to say:
?

Obviously you can trace the route forwards or backwards, but it means you end up 2 steps further from your goal if you do it in the wrong direction, which doesn't leave you quite enough time.
09-11-2005 at 04:09 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: The Palace of Puzzles - JtRH Remake : Ground Floor : 2 North, 2 East (0)  
Chris wrote:
Tim, shouldn't your 2nd hint be changed to say:
Yes. I'm very sorry, but in the original room the queen was on the right side. I just discovered it now ;)

Thanks a lot!

-- Tim

[Last edited by Tim at 09-11-2005 09:52 AM]
09-11-2005 at 09:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Loomear
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Hmm, a little hint perhaps?
I've gottens as far as being able to reach the mimic potions one (how shi*ty isn't that?) step to late..

09-22-2005 at 09:55 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Well, since thats such a small number, are you sure that

09-22-2005 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Loomear
Well, the logical way in is through the rigth most door, and I take a route with as many long strait lines as possible... but there's just something missing..

09-22-2005 at 11:41 AM
Loomear
Well, so I altered my route some what, and guess what :D I did it.
Sort of a circular motion.
First, try it on your own. Persistance really works.

If that don't work...
Warning! Complete spoiler:

[Last edited by Loomear at 09-22-2005 12:54 PM]
09-22-2005 at 12:52 PM
Chris
Loomear wrote:
I've gottens as far as being able to reach the mimic potions one (how shi*ty isn't that?) step to late..

I would be interested to know what path through the trap doors makes that possible.
09-22-2005 at 05:34 PM
Loomear
You want to know how I was able to get one move short?

[Last edited by Loomear at 09-22-2005 06:21 PM]
09-22-2005 at 06:21 PM
Chris
Yes, that's what I want.

[Last edited by Chris at 09-22-2005 07:23 PM : hid some text in 'secret' tags]
09-22-2005 at 07:22 PM
Loomear
Ok, I think it went like this:

09-23-2005 at 12:02 AM
Chris
Oh, I see. Thanks for that, it's fantastic. I didn't consider any solutions which didn't go through the arch.

Not using the arch only adds one extra move to the pattern, and yet is enough to mean that you get to the potion one step too late. What perfect design!

This whole hold is really well put together.
09-23-2005 at 12:36 AM
Loomear
No kidding. It's truly wonderful :D

09-23-2005 at 08:05 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The Palace of Puzzles - JtRH Remake : Ground Floor : 2 North, 2 East ("Military Tactics" puzzle)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com