Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Google Talk (google's IM)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon Google Talk (+1)  
Here it is... long waited for many:
http://www.google.com/talk/

[Last edited by bradwall at 08-24-2005 03:33 PM]
08-24-2005 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Google Talk (0)  
Hm, I might be missing something here, but why exactly has this been long awaited by many ? It's just yet another IM client. It's not even multiplatform.

But it's by Google! Huzzah, etc.

Oh well, at least they use open standards.

- Gerry
08-24-2005 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yeah, I'm not sure what's so special about it yet either. Until there's someone who I really want to talk to and only has GoogleTalk, I don't know why I should bother getting yet another IM service. I like Gmail and all, but that doesn't mean I want to enable everyone in my address book to be able to talk to me.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-24-2005 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I feel the same way. It would be better news if we heard that an IM service (or 3) was going away. I hate all these different protocols and having people I want to talk always on different networks.

-Erik

08-24-2005 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
The reason that I said it has been long waited for many is because there are a lot of people that I know which really wants it available.

Anyway... no big deal.

I am more interested to see if Trillion or other people will add gmail as an option on their multi-IM programs.
08-24-2005 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I believe there is already a Trillian plugin for it, which is nice...for if I actually need it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-24-2005 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Oneiromancer wrote:
I believe there is already a Trillian plugin for it, which is nice...for if I actually need it.

Game on,

I think that the trillian plugin is just for google desktop and having google desktop log chats from Triallian. I may be wrong though.
08-24-2005 at 09:08 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Google Talk (+1)  
I'm connected to it on GAIM. Google Talk is, AFAIK, just a glorified Jabber! server that works right out of the box with Google's IM program. Still, if you think about the humble beginnings of Gmail, I'm sure anyone could place money on this IM becoming a serious competetor to the major companies. Just give it a bit of time.

08-24-2005 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I just downloaded it yesterday. The thing I like about it at the moment is that its 99% simplicity. No zillions of extra features. Thats what I liked about msn messenger when it first came out, but then it got more and more unnecessary stuff. Googletalk will probably get like that too, but while its this simple, I like it.
08-24-2005 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Still, if you think about the humble beginnings of Gmail, I'm sure anyone could place money on this IM becoming a serious competetor to the major companies. Just give it a bit of time.
I dunno. Google's been making announcements about new things nonstop for months now, and it's hard to tell what they're really going to get behind and push. At this point, everybody that wants to use chat is using it and has already picked an IM. So Google has to get people to switch IMs--very hard. GMail got people to switch mailreaders, but GMail had more features to convince people to switch. And GMail was introduced before the weird Google assault of new technology announcements.

-Erik

08-24-2005 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
I have always used Gaim.
I found a link to set it up:
http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24073

Other clients:
http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html

08-25-2005 at 05:28 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
ErikH2000 wrote:
So Google has to get people to switch IMs--very hard.
Well, they managed to get people to switch search engines back in the day when everyone and their uncle had a search engine, and that was hard to do, but look at it now. I think Google's trying to expand their product line just to see how much of the marketbase they can pick up, and their main target is steering people away from Microsoft, IMHO. Next thing you know, we'll find out that a Google OS is on the way.

08-26-2005 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Amen to that.

If it will be simple, effecient and reliable like their other products, that's my kind of OS.

08-26-2005 at 07:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Google Talk (+1)  
And it will track everything you do and make it available to Google.

I think the difference between Google search and Google IM is that Google search delivered content better. IM is a different beast, because the 'content' in that case are your friends, so Google can't dominate it the same way they did search.

Now, if they manage to hack everyone else's protocols and reroute messages through Jabber, then you've got your killer app.

08-26-2005 at 09:49 AM
bradwall
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
So Google has to get people to switch IMs--very hard.
Well, they managed to get people to switch search engines back in the day when everyone and their uncle had a search engine, and that was hard to do, but look at it now. I think Google's trying to expand their product line just to see how much of the marketbase they can pick up, and their main target is steering people away from Microsoft, IMHO. Next thing you know, we'll find out that a Google OS is on the way.

Well, having people switching IM's will probably be harder. There are a lot of people that have other friends using many other types of IMs. I would bet that most people will use their multi-IM program and have set up google to it (like gaim, trillian, etc.).

08-26-2005 at 02:22 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Google Talk (google's IM)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com