Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Myst V
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Myst V (+1)  
The demo's out, so you can go have a look.

Like realMyst, it's full 3D, and in the options you can turn on keyboard/mouse controls. For the record, I think full 3D is the way more adventure games should go, and I for one am a big fan of seeing what companies can do if they decide to make a big 3D adventure and have to actually be creative with it.

I think the main theme of the puzzles, apart from just being obtuse (I admit it; I'm stuck on the observatory), seem to be language-based - the big new thing is a stone tablet that you can carry around with you and write symbols on, but naturally you can't carry it everywhere. If you write symbols on it and then leave the tablet lying around, this creature teleports in and reads it. After beating my head against a brick wall trying to make these creatures do anything (including writing exactly what I thought of them onto the tablet), I did manage to get them to react to two symbols. Sadly, one of those reactions was to run for it, but it's better than I'd been getting.

08-24-2005 at 12:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
icon Re: Myst V (0)  
Wow... I am going to download it right now.
I can't wait. Well... I really will have to. I am about (what seems to be to be) half way through Myst IV. I really like it so far. Excited to see this one. Thanks for the info.
08-24-2005 at 02:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I completed the demo - I would have liked a bit more, but there's still a couple of puzzles and you get an idea of what they're trying to do.

I swear, you feel like such a clever clogs when you work out what everything's for.

08-24-2005 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
If my PC were even remotely up to the task of running this, I'd be all over it. Unfortunately it isn't. Been playing Myst 4 on a friend's PC, but he's using it too much for me to do that these days. Time to upgrade ..

- Gerry
08-24-2005 at 07:43 PM
zaubberer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 251
it seems to be my brain is not good enough to understand even the first puzzle. i walked to the other world, found the ladder but i can't figure out how to use the symbols to start anything...

could somebody give me a hint please?¿?

zaubberer

08-29-2005 at 10:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Click here to view the secret text

08-29-2005 at 11:22 AM
zaubberer
well i know, cause that's the hint the stranger was given to me. but there is nothing that i could control... :(

zaubberer

08-29-2005 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Click here to view the secret text

08-29-2005 at 09:02 PM
zaubberer
i will try sometimes this, but i'm not really understand what you mean. my english is to bad for this...

but thnx!

zaubberer

08-29-2005 at 09:17 PM
bradwall
Just a quick comment about Myst V.

I have not started playing the demo yet. I just started it up to see if it will run on my computer. I hope that I am going to like it. I already don't like something about it. The people you interact with are computer generated and not real people (using green screen technology). It seems that this will make the game not seem like the others in the Myst series.
Does Myst V seem (to those that have played the demo) to have the same feel to it? That first part just makes it seem so different compared to every other game in the series.

Note: I would play through the demo myself, however, I am going to wait until I finish Myst IV (which will be pretty soon, I think).
08-29-2005 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I didn't really mind - apparantly they used actors to get the facial models, and the actors certainly delivered their lines like in the rest of the Myst series. I do recall thinking it'd be nice if they could improve the poly count on the people a bit.

08-30-2005 at 02:57 PM
bradwall
Just finish Myst IV. Interesting ending.
The whole "dream" idea all over in Serinia was a bit different, but the puzzles were pretty good. Much more challenging than Myst III.
Over all, I did like it.
Now, it is on to the demo of Myst V.

09-02-2005 at 06:33 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Myst V (+1)  
Cyan (makers of Myst) is no more.

:(

[Last edited by trick at 09-03-2005 03:38 PM]
09-03-2005 at 03:01 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Myst V
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com