Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : realMyst vs. Myst Masterpice edition
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon realMyst vs. Myst Masterpice edition (0)  
I am a big fan of the Myst series.
I have always loved playing the games, however, it had been a long time since I played the original Myst. I pulled that out and found that the graphics were great in the day, but it is hard to navigate through (compared to the other games in the series).
I decided that I want to get a better version of the program. I have heard that there is realMyst and Myst Masterpiece edition (which comes in their 10 year ann. edition). I am wondering if anyone has info on both of these.
realMyst is getting hard to find and it is very expense on the internet (like at Amazon.com). I am hoping to find this for cheap or maybe even get the masterpiece edition. However, I don't think that I want the Masterpiece edition if it is hard to navigate through as well.

Does anyone have any real info (played both or either of these versions) that they would be willing to share? Or, does anyone have realMyst and hate it bad enough for me to buy it off of them?

Just to add to the end of this (pointless opinion crap that many will not care about).....
So far, I think that Riven is the best. Very well done and hard to solve. I just got Myst IV for my birthday and I am waiting for a DVD drive to come in that I ordered. I can't wait to see how good it is compared to the rest of the series.
08-15-2005 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: realMyst vs. Myst Masterpice edition (+1)  
I don't really know what the deal is with the Masterpiece edition, but I remember that realMyst used a 3D engine instead of pregenerated scenes, so it's quite possible it has WASD navigation.

Also, very disappointed with Exile. But then I paid about 10 dollars Australian for it, so I wasn't exactly ripped off there.

08-16-2005 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Coincidence, actually, I just got my copy of Myst: Masterpiece Edition back from a friend an hour before (5:30a.m. - but no matter) I read your post.

M:ME has all the navigational trickiness that the original Myst suffered. If you're looking for better maneuverability through those delightful ages (especially Selentic), you're probably better off going for Real Myst. I can't say I've had the pleasure of playing RM, but aside from the "hint guide," M:ME is exactly as I remember it from when I got my original copy, way back when.

Riven is hard. And I happened to enjoy Exile most of all (the ice-shield roller-coaster is the best!). And unfortunately, just like you Brad, I need to buy a DVD-Rom so I can play Myst IV: Revelation. I'd like to play it before Myst V: End of Ages is released. So then I can play that, and then there's (supposedly) no more.
08-16-2005 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
icon Re: realMyst vs. Myst Masterpice edition (0)  
Thanks for the info, guys.

Since it is being talked about, here is my thoughts on the myst series:

Myst: My first real exposure to it was in 1995. I love games that make you think. A real classic, even though Agenar (my spelling sucks, I know) is real annoying to watch talk to me through that blue book. Navigation was a bit difficult, but good storyline and makes you think.

Riven: My favorite by far right now in the series. I espessially like it now that I have set it up so that I don't need my 5 disks... it got real old trading CDs between every island. Very difficult. Extremely challenging.

Myst III (Exile): Visually cool. The puzzles were not very hard but still fun to play. I agree with you, Clayton, the roller coaster totally cool. I had no idea (while playing that age and basically setting up for it) that I would be riding it. Once I got lifted up, I about wet my pants (don't tell anyone).

Myst IV (Revelation): Have it on my desk at home. Played the demo and liked the visual effects that are present in the game. I am waiting for my DVD drive to get to me (should come today). I can't wait. I am also very excited for Myst V to come out.

Well, that was a bunch of poinless crap that probably no one will read, but it was fun for me to go on about it. In fact, I am so certain that most people will see how long this is and just skim over it that I will give a point to the first person that says 'I read it' in their post. Yeah, that was pointless to. But what can I say... It is 6:40 in the morning.
08-16-2005 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
What? Why would no-one read it throughly? At least, I'm interested in hearing something about the other games of the series. Good puzzle games are always welcome.

I've only got the original Myst, but I've never finished it. I can remember accomplishing some random stuff, but I propably got stuck badly and forgot about it. (I've not played it in a long time) Maybe I should try to finish it first...

edit: Tried it: "Myst requires a 256-palettized display driver"
Sigh... It's too old.

note: I didn't say it in my post :P

[Last edited by Doom at 08-16-2005 03:31 PM]
08-16-2005 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Doom wrote:

I've only got the original Myst, but I've never finished it. I can remember accomplishing some random stuff, but I propably got stuck badly and forgot about it. (I've not played it in a long time) Maybe I should try to finish it first...

Well, I think that the first one isn't crutial to finish to play Riven. The story line will matter very little with Exile, however... from what I know, it is very important to complete the first one to play Myst IV. It has to do with the first game. I found that my verion crashes a lot on windows XP... maybe once every other time. Plus two of the Ages are very hard to get around in. But, I am repeating myself now.

08-16-2005 at 02:13 PM
Mattcrampy
Yeah, the rollercoaster in Exile was fun, but basically I read it from the beginning of the island that I'd be riding the rails. I was annoyed that either the puzzles were pretty straightforward or exceedingly obtuse. Perhaps it's just that I'm comparing Exile to the rose-tinted memories of Myst in my head.

My favourite part of the Myst games are the endings, though. Myst:
Click here to view the secret text
while Exile:
Click here to view the secret text

I do want to try Riven, though.

08-16-2005 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Mattcrampy wrote:
I do want to try Riven, though.

Wow... you have not played Riven yet?!?
I have to say that it is by far the best (in my opinion). Very hard. Plan on it taking you quite some time to solve. A lot of abstract thinking goes into it. You need to pay attention to a lot of detail. There are also about 10 different ways that the game can end, so you have choices to make at the very end of the game. If you ever try it out, let me know.

EDIT: If you don't have/get the DVD version, you will have 5 CDs... big pain. If you get a copy of all the CDs, let me know... I found a way to edit the .cfg file so that you don't have to play with the disks (but requires a lot of disk space).

[Last edited by bradwall at 08-16-2005 02:55 PM]
08-16-2005 at 02:52 PM
bradwall
I just started playing Myst IV. So far, I really like it. The story hasn't built much at all yet, but I only played for about 10 - 15 mintues so far. The graphics are great and in this one, you get a camera that you can carry around with you. How many times have I played that I have to write everything down?!? Now, I simply take a picture and can view it later. That's nice.

I also downloaded the trial version of RealMyst. It seems great. I would like to purchase it, however, I can only find it available at Amazon.com. And it is way too expensive for me there. They want $50.00 for it!

I have tried looking all over the internet for it at a better deal, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the game? If I can't find one, then I am going to be forced to steal Clayton's copy of RealMyst (and he may not be too happy when he finds it missing).

FYI: I have found it the strategy book found on other sites, but not the game itself.

[Last edited by bradwall at 08-17-2005 02:12 PM]
08-17-2005 at 02:11 PM
Mattcrampy
I've been tooling around with the demo - I must say, I like realMyst. There should be more adventure games that take modern tools, and heck, modern game design, and apply them liberally.

And by 'more', I mean 'some'. The 2D games are all well and good, but I want to get some on my Gamecube, you know?

08-17-2005 at 02:49 PM
bradwall
Mattcrampy wrote:
I've been tooling around with the demo - I must say, I like realMyst. There should be more adventure games that take modern tools, and heck, modern game design, and apply them liberally.

And by 'more', I mean 'some'. The 2D games are all well and good, but I want to get some on my Gamecube, you know?

Yeah, I agree.

Does anyone know where to get this game for a resonable price?

08-17-2005 at 02:53 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : realMyst vs. Myst Masterpice edition
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com