Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : It's the first time I've noticed this in JtRH (Demo error message)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon It's the first time I've noticed this in JtRH (0)  
"This demo is corrupted or from another version of DROD with different gameplay behavior."

Anyone else seen it? It makes me wonder how many other demo's I have lost.

(Can we have a version with English English please? The lack of a 'u' in 'behavior' offends my sensibilities. ;) )
08-15-2005 at 07:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: It's the first time I've noticed this in JtRH (0)  
That error message comes up whenever the demo in question ends up with a different result to the way the demo says it should when it's run through. Like in budget racing games where the ghosts always seem to veer off course and then magically reappear two metres to the left.

(I'm pretty sure Mario Kart 64 did that. Lazy buggers.)

You'd usually see it where the room's changed since you solved it or in rooms with brains. There was a lot of work done to make brains reproduce all the idiosynchrocies of AE brains, but some things will inevitably have been missed. And brains with arrows has all changed as well.

08-15-2005 at 08:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
It also happens when the monster behaviour has changed. It's most likely to happen with the Slayer who has had a modification or two since the initial release. I think there may have also been a minor rattlesnake change at some point as I noticed a corrupt demo in a rattlesnake/golem room.
08-15-2005 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
This may not be news, but Schik's spider detects these "out-of-date" demos and removes them, in case you worried someone's "cheated" on a given level...
08-15-2005 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Rabscuttle wrote:
It also happens when the monster behaviour has changed. It's most likely to happen with the Slayer who has had a modification or two since the initial release.
Looks like it's the slayer then, as there's no brains in the room. I considered going through all the rooms and replaying the ones with corrupt demo's, but it would take an age just find them. Of course, even if I did, a new update could corrupt even more rooms. I think I'll leave well alone.

edit: I just installed v2.0.5 on my laptop and the slayer is two squares further away than in the corrupt demo.

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 08-15-2005 09:48 PM]
08-15-2005 at 08:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : It's the first time I've noticed this in JtRH (Demo error message)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com