Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : BUG: Importing demos doesn't work
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
IP: Logged
icon BUG: Importing demos doesn't work (0)  
I have been playing eytanz hold. I grabbed the demos schik produced and tried to import them. The message was that import was successful but no demo was loaded. I thought maybe it was because I was using the new version so went and got the old version but still the same thing happened. Import saying its successful but no demo is there.
07-03-2003 at 04:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: BUG: Importing demos doesn't work (0)  
A demo can only be watched from the room it was recorded in. Go to the room the demo's for and then hit F6 to watch it. (People should probably name demos based on the hold:level:room they're recorded in.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-03-2003 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Which reminds me - when I was making my demos, I was definitely thinking it'd be nice if the default name WAS the hold-level-room, instead of "Victory".

I'll even volunteer to do it if it's okay. :)

07-03-2003 at 04:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Yes, please do! I think the best place to catch this would be where it names the demo "Victory!" in the first place. Prepend the room location to this as it does when you hit F5 to record a demo in the game screen.

It would probably be desirable to abbreviate the name a little bit (so it ends up at ~20 chars instead of ~80): one idea would be to use only the capital letters in the hold name (i.e. instead of "Dugan's Dungeon" use "DD"), then a space (since punctuation will be stripped for the file name), then the level name, space, then a shortened room position (probably best to modify CDbRoom::GetLevelPositionDescription() to take an optional bool parameter, bAbbreviated=false, and pass it on to GetLevelPositionDescription_English() to which you add a conditional to use numbers in place of words, and only the first letter of the compass directions, i.e. "2N4W" instead of "Twice North Quarce West"). This might be a couple more steps than you were expecting, but I'll probably get to it someday if you can't.

07-03-2003 at 08:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
Yes I realize that the demo has to be viewed in the room that it was created. The problem is that none of the demos that schik recorded loaded. I imported every demo, and he named them for the rooms, then went and checked every room and there are no demos except for mine. The import is saying it worked but doing nothing.
07-03-2003 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Ok, I think I know what it is: we need to have it show demos for all players in the list, but it's only showing your demos. No...that's not true. It should be showing all the demos. Hmm...I'll get back to you...

[Edited by mrimer on 07-03-2003 at 08:58 AM]

07-03-2003 at 08:57 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : BUG: Importing demos doesn't work
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com