Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : CaravelNet FAQ. (Your answer to all things about CaravelNet.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon CaravelNet FAQ. (+6)  
Let me guess: you've come here because you need help understanding CaravelNet, our wonderful online system for DROD. Well, this topic used to hold the FAQ for the system, but I moved into onto the website, and rather than trying to keep two copies of the same article active, I'm just going to direct you to the site version, which will always remain current.

CaravelNet FAQ

Serving suggestion: Read the FAQ if you ever have any remote trouble with the system. Odds are, it can be found here, which saves you the time of asking it on the forum.

[Last edited by Schik at 09-17-2007 03:31 PM : Fixed da link]
08-10-2005 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (0)  
-You can download over 4,000 player-created rooms directly from our server without even leaving the game. Just choose "change location" from the main menu and a list of all available level collections will appear. This list is supplied live from our server and is always up-to-date.

Does this mean that the holds/rooms will actually be on my computer? If so, does this also mean that I get to keep the holds even if I unsubscribe from caravelnet?
11-14-2005 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Every hold but the Smitemaster's Selection holds are already available on the forum regardless of whether or not you have CaravelNet...this service just allows you to download them in-game directly from the server instead of downloading, saving to a folder, and importing each one individually. So it doesn't actually download a saved file, but you can always get it later from the forum or website. And you might even be able to export the holds as well, although you might need editing rights to do that (and you definitely can't export the official holds or the SS holds--those are never available as separate files to the average user).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-14-2005 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Adding to what Onei said:

If you download something from CaravelNet, it will remain on your computer even if you are disconnected from CaravelNet or the internet in the future.

-Erik

11-14-2005 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
so I can't get KDD? I imported my player file into jtrh from DROD AE, but I don't see where it tells me that I beat kdd...which I would like to see. is there a place somewhere that tells me all holds I've beaten in my player file?
11-14-2005 at 08:37 PM
Oneiromancer
Well, first of all, when you import a player file it only imports your progress in holds that you already have imported. So if you didn't import KDD (not KDD2, but the AE version that Schik put on the Holds board a while back) then you'll have to import KDD and then import your player again.

KDD2 is considered by DROD to be a totally different hold than the AE KDD, so you won't be able to import your progress into that.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-14-2005 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Download and import KDD from the appropriate thread, and the same with any other holds you played in AE, then reimport your player.

"Oook!"
11-14-2005 at 08:44 PM
Chalks
ErikH2000 wrote:
Adding to what Onei said:

If you download something from CaravelNet, it will remain on your computer even if you are disconnected from CaravelNet or the internet in the future.

-Erik

I'm not sure I understand this (yes, I have a thick skull). Oneiromancer said that kdd and ss holds aren't available to the average user as individual files. But they will be available ingame even if I unsubscribe from carvelnet?

So I guess what I'm saying is:
1. Sign up for caravelnet
2. download a couple holds (download? play while online?)
3. play them.
4. unsubscribe for some reason (namely lack of money/time)
5. can I still play the holds?

Another question with this... When TCB comes out, will I be able to export everything from JTRH (including ss, kdd, and jtrh) and put it into TCB? Or can you only do this if you're still subscribed to caravelnet?

also...where can I find KDD in the forums? I searched, but didn't find it.

Thanks for being so patient with me! :blush

[Last edited by Chalks at 11-14-2005 10:49 PM]
11-14-2005 at 10:46 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (+1)  
The Smitemaster holds (and all holds for that matter) go into the .dat files, so they stick in unless you reinstall DROD from scratch.

The original KDD thread is this way .

As for TCB... Well, I can freely speak about it, but I have no clue whatsoever, so I'd better stay quiet.
11-14-2005 at 10:52 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Chalks wrote:
I'm not sure I understand this (yes, I have a thick skull). Oneiromancer said that kdd and ss holds aren't available to the average user as individual files. But they will be available ingame even if I unsubscribe from carvelnet?
They are available to download in-game only when you have an active CaravelNet account. They are available to play in-game any time after you've downloaded them, regardless of whether or not you have CaravelNet.
So I guess what I'm saying is:
1. Sign up for caravelnet
2. download a couple holds (download? play while online?)
3. play them.
4. unsubscribe for some reason (namely lack of money/time)
5. can I still play the holds?
Yes.
Another question with this... When TCB comes out, will I be able to export everything from JTRH (including ss, kdd, and jtrh) and put it into TCB? Or can you only do this if you're still subscribed to caravelnet?
You won't be able to export Smitemaster's Selection holds.
also...where can I find KDD in the forums? I searched, but didn't find it.
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6547

11-14-2005 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chalks
thanks everyone! I think I've finally got it. :thumbsup

Can't wait till three months from now: I'll have extra time and money... CaravelNet, here I come!
11-15-2005 at 03:40 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Does CaravelNet come with the full JtRH, or is that seperate?
01-08-2006 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
coppro wrote:
Does CaravelNet come with the full JtRH, or is that seperate?
It used to. Now buying DROD: JtRH or DROD: KDD will give you a 1 month's worth of CaravelNet, which will let you check out high scores, demo downloading, and hold downloading, but won't let you play the SS holds. (I'm not sure if it will let you do beta testing or not...probably not.)

Remember that signing up for the DROD mailing list will include special offers on occasion, and some of those offers could be bundles with CaravelNet.

Game on,

01-08-2006 at 10:50 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
So the answer is no and it will cost me 32$ US for both, right?
01-08-2006 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
coppro wrote:
So the answer is no and it will cost me 32$ US for both, right?
Yep, that's it.

-Erik

01-08-2006 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I'd also like to point out now that the renewing part of this article is outdated. Caravel Games, as stated in the latest Illumination, are now being taken.

Also, I think that I'll throw this article up onto the new site.

Edit: The article is updated, and pretty pictures have been added. Yay!

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 01-09-2006 02:31 AM]
01-09-2006 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
uh, I have another question. Where do I actually see the high scores? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

edit: oh, I see now. *blind* :glasses
edit2: holy crap I have a high score in second level 4e by 209 moves! :thumbsup
edit3: wait a second! it changed! :( *runs off to tinker*

edit4: Ok, now I'm officially confused. I just now uploaded my scores. I check em. Hooray! I have number one on second level 4e! I had 99 moves. Then, two minutes later, I re-upload my scores (beat a few rooms again), and I no longer had that score! Despite the fact that 99moves sounds completely crazy, I know what I saw. :( Or am I truly going insane?

edit5: (last edit, I promise) Well, I replayed the room in question, and now realize that 99 moves is most likely impossible. So I guess my question is, why did I momentarily have a highscore like that? ah well.

[Last edited by Chalks at 03-11-2006 04:34 AM]
03-11-2006 at 04:13 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Most likely it was a demo where you died or didn't complete the room or were passing through the room when it was already completed. The spider that checks the high scores would have found it and deleted it. Do you have a 99-move demo in your demo list?
03-11-2006 at 06:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Rabscuttle wrote:
Most likely it was a demo where you died or didn't complete the room or were passing through the room when it was already completed. The spider that checks the high scores would have found it and deleted it. Do you have a 99-move demo in your demo list?
No. :~(
03-15-2006 at 11:45 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I have a question which I think is frequently wondered at by people, if not frequently actually asked: how much are various "places" worth in the high score thingy? (I'm pretty sure I know 1st is 17, and 2d is 13. is 1st-place-tie 13? or 14? I forget)... just a little chart in the FAQ would be handy. maybe.

05-27-2007 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Rank Points: 181
Here's one I've always wondered. Let's say there are three people tied with 20 move demos, and I've got a 21 move demo. Do I score points as if I'm third, or fourth?
05-27-2007 at 09:14 AM
aztcg7
Rank Points: 104
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (+3)  
I was wandering through the FAQ today, and I found a bunch of things that were probably true at one point, but are no longer.

"-If you need help on a room, you can use CaravelNet's Hints and Solutions system. It will show you a map of rooms you've already visited and you can choose the one for which you want help. Then existing messages from other other players for that room will be shown. If none of the messages apply to you, you can post a new question about the room. The people on CaravelNet are a friendly group and it isn't hard to get a few hints to help you along."
This is usable without CaravelNet, even though it has less awesome involved.

"-You can download over 4,000 player-created rooms..."
This seems outdated. How many rooms are there now?

"-You can make your own level collections with the editor and publish them on CaravelNet."
You can do all of this without CaravelNet, and people with CaravelNet can download your stuffs regardless.

"Upcoming: Master Locks and Smitemastery 101"
This SS has already been released like a year ago.

"If I subscribe now, will I get access to all of the holds previously released?"
This whole section is totally wrong. You have to pay for SS's now, but I don't know as to whether you need CaravelNet or not.

"You probably have an older version of DROD:Journey to Rooted Hold. Find the latest version (currently 2.0.12) here."
Version is outdated. Also, there are numerous references to Journey to Rooted Hold that should probably be changed to The City Beneath.

"Another limitation of the Holds system is that a hold must be rated at least once before it gets published on CaravelNet."
Is this still true? I don't know.

"A hold author will update a hold when he or she find unintended solution..."
Now this is just plain wrong. As a bonus, grammatical error!

Those were all the errors that weren't simply grammar or spelling that I could find. I'm not sure who can use this data for updating, but I promise I would love you forever if you fixed all the errors and maybe even added new content.

09-05-2007 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
aztcg7 wrote:
"-You can download over 4,000 player-created rooms..."
This seems outdated. How many rooms are there now?
Looking at Rabscuttle's high scores is always a good indication... :)

09-05-2007 at 09:59 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (+2)  
Okay, I think I got rid of all inapplicable questions concerning Smitemaster Selections, changed all references to the latest DROD release are now The City Beneath, and old things are new again. If you can think of any extra questions to answer let me know and I can change it. I'm thinking I'm going to tackle the Forum FAQ next. :)
09-05-2007 at 10:50 PM
aztcg7
Rank Points: 104
Err... The link at the top of this page doesn't work anymore. It needs to be changed to point to http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsitepage.php?id=203429 or thereabouts.

09-17-2007 at 09:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Oh...

I wish I could change that, but I can't. :(
09-17-2007 at 03:01 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Ezlo wrote:
Oh...

I wish I could change that, but I can't. :(
It seems to be pointing there now.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-17-2007 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
The monkey did it. :)
09-17-2007 at 08:51 PM
zxcvboy
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 3
How do I rate other people's posts?

04-29-2011 at 08:24 AM
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
icon Re: CaravelNet FAQ. (+2)  
zxcvboy wrote:
How do I rate other people's posts?
If you make good contributions to the forum, people rate your posts up. This gives you mod points, which you can then spend to rate other people's posts up or down.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/forumfaq.php#moderating
04-29-2011 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : CaravelNet FAQ. (Your answer to all things about CaravelNet.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com