Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Shake n' bake Avatar
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon Shake n' bake Avatar (0)  
1. Post a file with an attachment to the DROD forum
2. Grab the link to that attachment e.g.

http://www.drod.net/forum/getattachment.php?id=XX

where XX is the number of the attachment

3. Past that URL into the Avatar section of your profile

Is this OK behavior, or would it be frowned upon by the DROD elite? I'm not going to vandalise something?

If it is OK, any guidelines, like maximum size of avatar? Bearing in mind this would be downloaded more regularly than a 'normal' file attachment. I know how to optimise images, so I can keep them within any limits.

Will attachments being posted to the board be periodically purged?
07-02-2003 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Shake n' bake Avatar (0)  
Please *don't* do this. I'm planning on adding avatar uploading which will take care of file size and resolution issues. Be patient. :)

While it will resize if necessary, it will probably look better if you resize it yourself. The size avatars display at is 60x60.

As for purging... Umm... possibly. There's nothing automatic right now, nor do I think there should be. We might want some things to stick around forever. But yes, older things could get deleted by admins, especially if space becomes an issue.

07-02-2003 at 05:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Shake n' bake Avatar (0)  
Schik wrote:
Please *don't* do this. I'm planning on adding avatar uploading which will take care of file size and resolution issues. Be patient. :)

I'm glad I asked first :D OK, I did test it before I posted, saw it worked, and then edited it out of my profile immediately, on the offchance it'd be unwelcome (the avatar I was using was 60x60 & 510 bytes) I hope that's not a problem.

While it will resize if necessary, it will probably look better if you resize it yourself. The size avatars display at is 60x60.

I'd figured that out. I guessed the main problem would be with filesizes though (eating up bandwidth) Oh, and people linking to the wrong files like doofuses and having 200kB ZIPs as avatars :D

As for purging... Umm... possibly. There's nothing automatic right now, nor do I think there should be. We might want some things to stick around forever. But yes, older things could get deleted by admins, especially if space becomes an issue.

e.g my zip, which is was only ever going to be downloaded by one or two people.

How about options for an author to remove/replace/update their file attachments? I don't see anything in the current 'edit' page...

[Edited by StuartK on 07-02-2003 at 06:10 AM]
07-02-2003 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Re: Re: Shake n' bake Avatar (0)  
StuartK wrote:
How about options for an author to remove/replace/update their file attachments? I don't see anything in the current 'edit' page...
I do have plans for that already, but thanks for the suggestion! Keep 'em coming, there's plenty I *haven't* thought of yet.

07-02-2003 at 12:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Shake n' bake Avatar
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com