Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : CCG Fan? Check out Terality - the first OCCG
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Walked
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon CCG Fan? Check out Terality - the first OCCG (+1)  
[url www.terality.net

I just opened up the site dedicated to my OCCG which I've been designing and testing for over a year.

"Open Customizable Card Game "

It is an online and in print card game with an impending release. The basic idea of the OpenCCG system is that the community builds and shapes the game by creating the cards. They control where the game goes more than we do, though the Terality team does remain in charge of making sure submitted sets are of reasonable quality and balance. Additionally, we do have several Official Teralty sets up for release - initially beginning with two structure decks.

That's probably not the best way to explain the system, for a better idea, just check out [url www.terality.net

Card Preview:

Rules:
Terality Rules

I'll answer questions personally, as creator of the game, here if anyone has any. :)
07-22-2005 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: CCG Fan? Check out Terality - the first OCCG (0)  
Umm...

This is interesting, but being your first post, and probably within 2-3 hours of your registration, this thread unfortunately may be regarded as promotional spam if you do nothing else. If you are interested in joining the DROD community, then I would suggest reading this thread, which will explain the problem I'm describing better than I can. You might also want to contribute to other discussions on the forum, or even download DROD and start playing it!

However, I'm not a moderator, so if I've made some sort of mistake, then I apologise.

In any case, welcome to the DROD Forums!

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure the post came out quite right. I'm not trying to say you've done something wrong or that we don't want you on the Forum; only that it looks a bit awkward that your first ever post was about your game. I'm sure many members of the Forum would be interested in this; it's just that I wanted to let you know that there may be a problem.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 07-22-2005 07:43 PM]
07-22-2005 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: CCG Fan? Check out Terality - the first OCCG (+1)  
I should mention that recently I've encouraged other indie developers to post about their games on this board provided they explain how their game may be interesting to DROD players and stick around to answer any replies that come up. So I want to give Walked the benefit of the doubt here.

And if this experiment of mine gets annoying to forum users we can change the policy, but I figure it may be interesting.

-Erik

07-22-2005 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
This reminds me of the CCG workshop and their Gatling Engine, except that it looks like there is one set of enforced rules instead of relying on players to have knowledge of the game rules and enforce the rules themselves. If you (a user, not the developer) are making new cards for an expansion set, how do you specify what the cards do?

Are you planning a 1-player game with AI to go against? I always like to learn CCGs playing against a computer. The MtG computer game taught me the basics before I ever played against a human, so it was pretty cool that way.

-Erik

07-22-2005 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Walked
ErikH2000 wrote:
This reminds me of the CCG workshop and their Gatling Engine, except that it looks like there is one set of enforced rules instead of relying on players to have knowledge of the game rules and enforce the rules themselves. If you (a user, not the developer) are making new cards for an expansion set, how do you specify what the cards do?

Are you planning a 1-player game with AI to go against? I always like to learn CCGs playing against a computer. The MtG computer game taught me the basics before I ever played against a human, so it was pretty cool that way.

-Erik

Thank you Erik.

Right now there are no plans for a computer AI, as simple we do not have the budget to do so.

In ways it is similar to the Gatling Engine, but we believe it will surpass it very much for our uses. The game does in fact rely on the player's knowledge of the rules, so our program is pretty much a sandbox for the players, with a few minor rules built in.

For players wishing to create expansions, they must submit them to us for print setup, and importing into the program - thus that is completely covered by us, not the submitter.

07-22-2005 at 08:04 PM
ErikH2000
Walked, here is a question I've had for a while and you seem like you might know. What is a cheap(ish) way to make cards that have the same look and feel as regular playing cards? In your FAQ, you say to print on heavy card stock, but that's a far cry from professional cards. Like having cards that you can shuffle, with the right thickness and shine to them. Are there any short-run printers that do it? Maybe with certain paper and lacquers it can be done at home? My wife has a stationery business and we've got all sorts of printers, paper, cutting tools here that I've used to make card prototypes, but I have a hard time duplicating that almost-plastic look and feel of a standard card.

-Erik

07-22-2005 at 08:26 PM
Walked
icon Re: CCG Fan? Check out Terality - the first OCCG (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Walked, here is a question I've had for a while and you seem like you might know. What is a cheap(ish) way to make cards that have the same look and feel as regular playing cards? In your FAQ, you say to print on heavy card stock, but that's a far cry from professional cards. Like having cards that you can shuffle, with the right thickness and shine to them. Are there any short-run printers that do it? Maybe with certain paper and lacquers it can be done at home? My wife has a stationery business and we've got all sorts of printers, paper, cutting tools here that I've used to make card prototypes, but I have a hard time duplicating that almost-plastic look and feel of a standard card.

-Erik

Ahh, I spent months looking into this.

Depending on budget, you have a few options:

1) http://www.newtscards.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DESIGN-A-CARD-100

2) www.card-press.com - $295 setup fee, plus $19 a deck for a small run. This IS the best price out there. I've seen samples and they are decent quality.

That's really your best bet. There are other options, but those two are the BEST youre going to find without spending a large amount of money. If you are looking for a bulk run, I can make other suggestions.
07-22-2005 at 08:54 PM
ErikH2000
Hey, I asked the right guy! I noticed card press does wedding cards too, which my wife might want to offer through them. So I passed the link on to her. Thanks!

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-22-2005 09:14 PM]
07-22-2005 at 09:14 PM
Walked
No problem. Any more questions about Card Games, or anything remotely related, and I can probably help you ou. :)
07-22-2005 at 09:16 PM
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
How do you plan on dealing with unbalanced cards when they're submitted? Do you have something like a point-buy system, is it up to the dev team to determine part of the card design, or something else?

On a similar tack, how do you plan to deal with established cards that are broken or can be combined with other cards to create a game-breaking combo?

07-23-2005 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Walked
Mattcrampy wrote:
How do you plan on dealing with unbalanced cards when they're submitted? Do you have something like a point-buy system, is it up to the dev team to determine part of the card design, or something else?

On a similar tack, how do you plan to deal with established cards that are broken or can be combined with other cards to create a game-breaking combo?

All expansions must be sibmitted to us for evaluation before they are officially sanctioned. Thusly, we keep control over all sanctioned sets.

Not sure exactly what happened to this topic with some of the replies, but it appears someone posted something controversial. I'm open to answer questions still :)

edit: VVVV Thanks. VVVVV

[Last edited by Walked at 07-24-2005 02:36 AM]
07-24-2005 at 01:56 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Walked wrote:
Not sure exactly what happened to this topic with some of the replies, but it appears someone posted something controversial. I'm open to answer questions still :)
Yep, but that original poster removed his "controversial" post, and so I just removed all the posts referring to that one. So hopefully all the remaining posts still make some sense.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-24-2005 at 02:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Walked

New card teasers for all to enjoy. :)
07-26-2005 at 03:58 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : CCG Fan? Check out Terality - the first OCCG
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com