Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : WoTD - Smitemaster's Duties (July's Contest, Part Deux)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon WoTD - Smitemaster's Duties (0)  
"It's bad news," Hallholder Bombus Gadhan announced to the Smitemaster's Guild members. "It appears our guess is correct, and the DAA is in fact recycling old rooms for use in brand new dungeons"

It was the worst thing the group could possibly imagine. With that news, they knew that the architects had already started collecting more greckles than ever imaginable to a delver.

Beethro was the most annoyed at this news. He had never been a fan of people who practice the art of architecting, and anytime they were gaining status was bad news to him. He knew something had to be done.

"There must be something that we can do to stop this! If we let them continue this, then the amount of dungeons in the Eighth will increase ten-fold, and that's more workload than any of us can handle!"

The rest of the members cheered Beethro on.

"Yeah! We need to find a way to stop this outbreak!" they shouted.

Hallholder Bombus knew that they needed to stop them, but had no idea how. Luckily, there were much smarter people at the meeting today. A semi-regular member, Pierot Hulphart, was sitting in the back row, shaking his head at the chaos in the Hall.

"Members, members, members, you must realise that there is no authority to which we can stop the architects except for their own association"

"What exactly do you mean by that?" Bombus questioned.

"Simple. They are doing this because they expect that no one will discover that they are recycling rooms. What we need to do is find all of the dungeons that have been built within the past two weeks, go down there, and find all of the rooms that we have seen from previous dungeons. Then, we write down all of our findings, retrieve our completion records of those rooms, and present it to the DAA. Thus, they will have no choice but to stop their plans of replication"

"And thus the number of dungeons decreases, and their status is lowered! Ingenious, Pierot!" Bombus exclaimed. "Well, it looks as if our work is cut out for us, fellow Smitemasters. You have heard what we have to do, so let's get to it!"

With those words, the members departed the hall.

You are the smitemasters, and you are not only out to find what rooms all of the entries originate, but to show proof that you have cleared an original of the room at some point. Yes, it means that you will need to do a lot of delving and exploring (In an older version of DROD, nontheless), but preventing the architect's plan of domination from working and giving honour and glory to the Smitemaster's Guild must surely be important to you. Plus, the prize is most definitely worth it!

Entries will consist of two parts - Room guesses and Architects' Edition victory demos of the original rooms. Room guesses must be extremly exact, and titled following the conventional format contained in the following examples:

"Entry #1 - King Dugan's Dungeon: Seventh Level, Three North"
"Entry #8 - Deep Hold: First Level, Entrance"

Room demos must be in AE format to prove that they were around before the Architects' remade rooms. Because it is complex and long, I'm going to make correct entries and demos worth a certain amount of points. For every correct room guess, you get one (1) point. For every proper AE demo you give me, you get two (2) points. Of course, if you submit a demo, you should know where it came from, meaning that in total you get three points.

Now for the more complete list of rules:

1) All entries must be emailed to me at CrazyCanuck00 [AT] gmail.com or sent to me via PM or MSN (If need be). When I receive your entry, I will confirm it, but I will not reveal the results to you. I'm not going to give people the chance to make thousands of guesses knowing that they have only one room wrong.

2) You will, however, have a bit of information about where the leader is at. I will be making a seperate topic titled "Smitemaster's Hall" where I will make posts saying "The leader currently has x points. You can use that information to your advantage, but please note that I will not be updating that post the second I receive an email, so be warned!

3) Only your most recent entry will be considered valid. If you submit a second entry after the first one, then your first one becomes void, and so on and so forth. This means that the leader's total can actually drop as well as rise.

4) If you had submitted any demos in a previous guess, you must always state whether you want the demo to carry on or to be removed from your guess. If you do not tell me, it gets removed. Or, just feel free to continually attach it to your email. With all of Gmail's space, I won't be having a problem.

5) Architects are not allowed to enter this part of the contest. You have chosen your side, and treason is an organizational felony. If I catch an architect submitting an entry to this part of the contest, both entries will be considered void.

6) Please don't use Stefan's converter. The point is to play rooms in the original version of AE.

7) If you want, feel free to contact people who may have a player file of the hold you are looking for. Watch out for asking any architect, as they will be required not to give you one or to give you a wrong one.

Now comes the release of the prizes for both Architects and Smitemasters! I'm hoping it met the expectations I was building up for you. It is an increased amount, and I thank Erik for allowing these:

-The architect to get the third highest rating for his/her makeover will get 25 rank points and two topic postings absolutly free! The delver who places third in his competition also gets 25 rank points and two free topics.

-The second place delver and architect will get 50 rank points each, and will get mentioned in my new article for DROD.net, which I have been procrastinating in for awhile now.

-The first place delver and architect will be guaranteed to have 75 points each, but will go for a deathmatch to get the Prize Pile item and the extra 25 rank points. More details will come at the end of polling.

-Any architect whose room is not guessed correctly by any of the delvers will get a bonus of 15 rank points. Excellent!

-And, to be fair, any delver who guesses every single room correctly on their first try (regardless of demos) will get a bonus of 15 rank points as well, whether they scored first place or not. Let the love flow!

-Any first-timer gets 10 points right out of the gate for either side.

But enough chit-chat! Time's a ticking away, and there's a lot on the line to win!

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-16-2005 06:18 PM]
07-15-2005 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: WoTD - Smitemaster's Duties (0)  
25 rank points and two free topic postings absolutly free!

I thought posting threads was already free? :O?
07-15-2005 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
So it was just the other day that I decided to import some more progress from AE to JtRH. And in doing so, save myself some time by deleting all the holds in AE that I had already completed in JtRH. Thus losing all chances of winning this competition. Meh.

Anyway, the entries are quite large, not sure if I would have liked to download them anyway.. I suppose I'll look at one or two to try and get some points.
07-15-2005 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AgentIcarus
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
I'm almost certainly being thick (or at least very unlucky)...but I can't find any more details on the competition - where are the rooms I need to play? :unsure

07-17-2005 at 07:36 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: WoTD - Smitemaster's Duties (+1)  
The rooms are in this thread:

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=7101&page=0

Just download the 14 entries (Or the collection of the 14 holds), and go from there.

07-17-2005 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AgentIcarus
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
That's great, thanks

07-17-2005 at 08:20 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Seriously, though. What the deuce is a topic posting?
07-18-2005 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
It's just a cheap gag gift that I randomly made up. Yes, they are free already, but at least you actually *get* something. It's intended for humour, and nothing more. Posting a topic always has and always will be free.

Unless, of course, Erik and Schik get extremly desperate for money. [/justkidding]

07-18-2005 at 02:06 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Great second half, more than I expected!

gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
It's just a cheap gag gift that I randomly made up. Yes, they are free already, but at least you actually *get* something. It's intended for humour, and nothing more. Posting a topic always has and always will be free.

Unless, of course, Erik and Schik get extremly desperate for money. [/justkidding]

As long as we do not get charged for entering contests..... ;)

[Last edited by techant at 07-18-2005 04:12 AM : typo]
07-18-2005 at 04:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 177
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
You are the smitemasters, and you are not only out to find what rooms all of the entries originate, but to show proof that you have cleared an original of the room at some point. Yes, it means that you will need to do a lot of delving and exploring (In an older version of DROD, nontheless)

Room demos must be in AE format to prove that they were around before the Architects' remade rooms.
I take this to mean that ALL AE Victory Demos are valid - those dated before the contest AND new ones (i.e. I don't have to reconquer rooms).

Cool.

I have a lot of smiting to do to get to level x of dungeon n in AE... Also a lot of rooms to find.
07-18-2005 at 02:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
If it's any consolation to you, I just had an unofficial entry to the contest, and that person got 42/42. It is possible, so I hope to see some entries start pouring in!

07-18-2005 at 07:16 PM
HopelessAmateur
My entry will pour in but I'm still looking through the 80+ holds listed in the other thread - and there's no guarantee all 14 rooms are in there...

Also, at the moment the 'showlevel' bit in the Search for Hints page seems to be malfunctioning, which is making the job loooonger.
07-19-2005 at 08:48 AM
HopelessAmateur
ShowLevel up and working again. I've checked the eighty holds in the list and found seven rooms that match - have I missed the other seven or are they in other holds? Will I ever know?

Time-consuming this room-recognition. Of the seven I am still missing, I KNOW I have played three, but I've also checked my 'holds completed' and 'holds played but not completed' and still not found 'em...

Is anyone else actually playing this contest? It's awfully quiet round here. :fun
07-19-2005 at 11:24 PM
TripleM
I've sent in an entry via PM. Though it doesn't include any demos, I doubt I'll get around to doing them.
07-19-2005 at 11:25 PM
HopelessAmateur
I've narrowed my search criteria down (discounting rooms with elements which do not appear in the rooms sought).

I'd be grateful for confirmation that the 14 rooms are all in the 80 holds mentioned, or for a complete list of AE holds (I've checked quite a few holds only to realise later they are JTRH-only)

Wheee!

[Last edited by HopelessAmateur at 07-20-2005 12:09 AM]
07-20-2005 at 12:07 AM
TripleM
Grr, just realised there was a question I was meant to ask before submitting my entry. Ah well.

I'm not actually 100% sure if this applies for these rooms, but what happens if the room is in two different holds? I'm meaning, say, Tackers Triology, being a collection of the other holds, or Labyrinthitis v Labyrinthitis expanded..
07-20-2005 at 05:56 AM
gamer_extreme_101
All 14 rooms are from holds which were on the list of AE holds I posted in this thread.

And, for all purposes, the Tackers Trilogy + 3 Tacker holds are interchangeable, along with Labrynthitis + Labrynthitis Expanded.

Seriously, I'm suprised I haven't had more entries. If you are really stumped, look at my list again. A couple of hints may jump out at you.

07-20-2005 at 06:17 AM
HopelessAmateur
Thanks a lot for the feedback. It limits my repeat search - only about 8 hours work with a slow internet connection.

OK so I missed all seven. Back to the drawing board :lol

If only there were a quicker way to scroll through rooms

[Last edited by HopelessAmateur at 07-20-2005 07:07 AM]
07-20-2005 at 07:06 AM
TripleM
HopelessAmateur wrote:
Thanks a lot for the feedback. It limits my repeat search - only about 8 hours work with a slow internet connection.

OK so I missed all seven. Back to the drawing board :lol

If only there were a quicker way to scroll through rooms

Having played through the majority of the holds myself anyway helped me a lot :) Not only from partially remembering where some were, but also so that I could scroll through the rooms offline through JTRH..

By the way, gamer, you haven't confirmed receiving my PM yet.. did you get it?
07-20-2005 at 11:44 AM
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
I prolly won't be able to participate like I thought. For some odd reason, my laptop has broken down and will be repaired or replaced and what is strange is that the family pc also broke down on the same day. I am only using this computer temporarily and will not be allowed to download DROD (I am surprised its not on it already since I have asked the owner to play DROD a million times! :D )

[Last edited by rowrow at 07-20-2005 04:07 PM]
07-20-2005 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
HopelessAmateur
OK I got 14. One of the holds is no longer available in AE version (even from the architect).

What should one do in that situation?

Cheers!
07-20-2005 at 04:42 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Since it's practically impossible to find the AE version of one hold, if you identify which one it is, you'll get the two points. Easy as that.

07-20-2005 at 05:42 PM
TripleM
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:

2) You will, however, have a bit of information about where the leader is at. I will be making a seperate topic titled "Smitemaster's Hall" where I will make posts saying "The leader currently has x points. You can use that information to your advantage, but please note that I will not be updating that post the second I receive an email, so be warned!

Are you still planning to do this?
07-24-2005 at 01:08 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Probably a very stupid question, but what is the deadline to this part of the contest? (sorry if i overlooked it in the first post, but i still can't find it)

07-26-2005 at 10:39 PM
gamer_extreme_101
It ended at the end of the Architects' Poll. I've emailed the winner from each catagory, and they have to do their thng to decide who gets the extra 25 points and the Prize Pile item.

07-26-2005 at 10:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : WoTD - Smitemaster's Duties (July's Contest, Part Deux)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com