Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : "DROD couldn't load the saved game" on new hold
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged
icon "DROD couldn't load the saved game" on new hold (0)  
I've got a fresh install of build 25, imported my build 23 player and hold data. I hadn't as yet import/exported/re-imported my build 23 player data.

I create a new empty hold, to which I copy across my build 23 hold, room by room (actually, first I copied the entire level, then deleted it, then copied room by room) I add another room, select the hold to play it, and upon selecting 'Continue' I get

"DROD couldn't load the saved game. There is probably an error in DROD that needs to be fixed. It could be that the game was saved with a previous version of DROD, and this version is unable to load it."

At this point I tried export/import/export of player data. No change to the error message.

I then tried deleting all hold (after exporting the new one) and player data, importing build 23 player data, 'cleaning' it, then reimporting the new hold, and got the same error.

Hopefully all the above is clear.
07-01-2003 at 05:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: "DROD couldn't load the saved game" on new hold (0)  
Yes, it's clear. I'm sure it's been frustrating, and I want to help fix this problem. Because it's impossible for us to know how to recreate the state of your data files, the best thing you could do to help solve this problem is send the three of them (post them here as a .zip attachment). Then we can run DROD in the debugger with your data and find the precise line of code (hopefully!) and a reason why your new hold's not working. Let's try that.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-01-2003 at 07:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
icon Re: Re: "DROD couldn't load the saved game" on new hold (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Yes, it's clear. I'm sure it's been frustrating, and I want to help fix this problem. Because it's impossible for us to know how to recreate the state of your data files, the best thing you could do to help solve this problem is send the three of them (post them here as a .zip attachment). Then we can run DROD in the debugger with your data and find the precise line of code (hopefully!) and a reason why your new hold's not working. Let's try that.

Just to be clear, this is a new build25 install, without the same errors I saw in the previous attempt, files for which are now lost. I'm not frustrated (happy to continue testing) just annoyed at myself for not having kept those original files...

The same hold causes the error in different installs of the game (two versions) so I've just attached that, and the original hold which I copied the data from.

Using the original hold, I can create a new build 25 hold which causes the error. Just playing the build23 hold works, copying and pasting to the build25 hold does not. It might be something to do with copying+pasting an entire level.

I've attached 3 holds (1xbuild 23, 2xbuild25), my build23 .player, and the 3 .dat files if you want them, though I don't know how useful they'd be. I've had some previous trouble with attached files on this board, so here's hoping.

Nope, the file (a 200kB zip) won't attach.

[Edited by StuartK on 07-01-2003 at 04:47 PM]
07-01-2003 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
What happens when you try to attach a file? Do you have a really slow upstream link? Maybe it's timing out. I know that the timeout is configurable, but I think it's on the PHP level, and I'm not sure if we can configure that.

Hrmph. Umm... for now, if you email the file to me (mcs1016@hotmail.com) I'll attach it to the post.

07-01-2003 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
StuartK
Schik wrote:
What happens when you try to attach a file? Do you have a really slow upstream link? Maybe it's timing out. I know that the timeout is configurable, but I think it's on the PHP level, and I'm not sure if we can configure that.
I attached the file (d:\\temp\\files.zip) I select 'Send Reply' the message posts immediately, but no attached file appears. I'm on dialup. I'll try again later on with a different ISP and with my firewall disabled to see if that makes any difference, though I'm clutching at straws. Others seem to be able to attach files fine.
Hrmph. Umm... for now, if you email the file to me
Check your email :)
07-01-2003 at 08:42 PM
Schik

File: files.zip (196.9 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Other
Here's Stuart's file.

07-01-2003 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: "DROD couldn't load the saved game" on new hold (0)  
StuartK wrote:
I select 'Send Reply' the message posts immediately, but no attached file appears. I'm on dialup.
Hmm. File attachments just get encoded in the POST data, so if it's posting immediately, and you're on dial-up, then your computer is deciding for some reason that it's not going to post the file. Whether it's doing that because of some flaw in the HTML, your browser, or your system configuration (or some other reason) I don't know. :(

07-01-2003 at 10:58 PM
StuartK
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: "DROD couldn't load the saved game" on new hold (0)  
Schik wrote:
StuartK wrote:
I select 'Send Reply' the message posts immediately, but no attached file appears. I'm on dialup.
Hmm. File attachments just get encoded in the POST data, so if it's posting immediately, and you're on dial-up, then your computer is deciding for some reason that it's not going to post the file. Whether it's doing that because of some flaw in the HTML, your browser, or your system configuration (or some other reason) I don't know. :(

Well I've successfully managed to use large amounts of POST data elsewhere (never files before) I'm using IE6, so I don't think it's going to be a browser issue. I'll try Opera and a different ISP on a smaller file and see what happens.

(No dice)

[Edited by StuartK on 07-02-2003 at 12:15 AM]
07-02-2003 at 01:13 AM
StuartK

File: Level1.demo (4.2 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
One more try, using standard reply rather than quote reply (more clutching at straws)

Smaller file, Opera. Oh, and I've switched my firewall off now as well (ZoneAlarm)

It worked! So, something to do with quote reply or Zonealarm?

[Edited by StuartK on 07-02-2003 at 12:20 AM]
07-02-2003 at 01:18 AM
StuartK

File: sword.gif (520 bytes)
Downloaded 64 times.
Apologies for junking up the board...

One more test with Zonealarm enabled using standard reply (not quote reply)

This is like playing Cluedo :D

The Quote Reply did it, in the Drod forums, with the buggy code. Or my name is Shirley.

[Edited by StuartK on 07-02-2003 at 12:53 AM]
07-02-2003 at 01:49 AM
Schik
StuartK wrote:
The Quote Reply did it, in the Drod forums, with the buggy code. Or my name is Shirley.
Umm... oops? :)
You may whack upon me mercilessly with the deadly stick of death. :twak

I'll look at it later tonight.

07-02-2003 at 02:01 AM
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: "DROD couldn't load the saved game" on new hold (0)  
Schik wrote:
I'll look at it later tonight.
I looked at it, and what I screwed up is in the attachment.

07-02-2003 at 03:15 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Good news, Stuart! I tried out your file, and there is one bit of corrupted hold data in Stuk2: that's why you can't continue (start) your personal hold. I think the bug creating is fixed in build 26. Try copying the level from your original hold over to a new hold again. (If it's still not working, here's a work-around you can use for now: create a second level in the hold that's not starting; make a stairway from it to the first level. Then <Continue>. This should start you at the second level, where you can go to the first to play it.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-02-2003 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : "DROD couldn't load the saved game" on new hold
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com