Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Future of the Numberpad (A multiple question poll)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What do you think of manufacturers who remove numberpads on keyboards?
Agree fully. Space-saving is a major issue.
Semi-agree. They do look a bit nicer.
No opinion. The good and bad balance out.
Semi-disagree. It's stupid, but it could be worse.
Disagree fully. Bring back the numberpad!
As a DROD player, would you ever buy a keyboard without a numberpad?
Most definitely. I can remap the keys, so it doesn't concern me.
Possibly, if they keyboard had features and qualities I liked.
Never. DROD isn't DROD without a numberpad!
Pressing Vote will vote for all of the questions. Make sure you have voted in each one!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon The Future of the Numberpad (+1)  
I was looking online for keyboards a couple of minutes ago, and I noticed that more and more keyboards are missing numberpads, which strikes me as being silly. Personally, I would never buy a keyboard without a numberpad even if I never played DROD.

So, I'm asking the DROD community how they stand on it. It is a serious DROD related topic, so I would really like to hear your input.

07-13-2005 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: The Future of the Numberpad (0)  
I mostly use DROD on my laptop, which doesn't have a NumPad, so I can definitely adjust and remap the keys. Not all games are so understanding, unfortunately.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-13-2005 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Call me conservative, but I like it how there is both a numpad and a regular direction key set on my keyboard. You can't really play DROD or roguelikes and stuff like that without a numpad. On the other hand I'd hate to use numpad where there are only 4 directions. The only keys I'd like to see gone from my keyboard are the special windows function keys (I have two of them that simulate clicking the START menu in windows, and one which simulates a rightclick... really annoying when you press them by mistake).

07-13-2005 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: The Future of the Numberpad (+1)  
Numlocks aren't just useful to DROD and games--try entering a column of numbers in Excel without a numpad and suddenly your productivity is cut in half. I'd never buy a computer keyboard without a pad, unless it was a laptop. Even if number-crunching isn't your thing, eventually it will come up somewhere. A keyboard without the pad should be called "Junior Funtime Playpretend Keyboard".

Now, we really could remove the pause/break key. And scroll lock--anybody still using that?

-Erik

07-13-2005 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
What do those buttons even /do/?

Also, Scroll Lock in certain games I play is the screenshot button, so.
07-13-2005 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Banjooie wrote:
Pause/break used to pause and break while certain programs ran. Like if you ran a program in a debugger, you could use that. I vaguely remember using it with some old version of Turbo C (or was it Borland C?). Also I think QBASIC used it. This is all back in the pre-Windows days. Oh, the nostalgia is setting in.

Scroll lock? I can't remember exactly what that did.
Also, Scroll Lock in certain games I play is the screenshot button, so.
Are you sure it isn't the "Print Screen" button that is right next to "Scroll Lock"? That takes screen shots too. Oh! Anybody remember when Print Screen actually sent a screenshot directly to the printer? That just sounds idiotic to me now. I think you had to hit ctrl-printscreen to put the shot in the clipboard.

-Erik

07-14-2005 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
ErikH2000 wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
Pause/break used to pause and break while certain programs ran. Like if you ran a program in a debugger, you could use that. I vaguely remember using it with some old version of Turbo C (or was it Borland C?). Also I think QBASIC used it. This is all back in the pre-Windows days. Oh, the nostalgia is setting in.

-Erik

pause/break would also stop/start a text file scrolling in DOS.

Scroll lock worked with the arrow keys and would allow you to scroll a text file without moving the cursor. Apparently it still works in some spreadsheets.

Talking of nostalgia, my first experience of DOS was with a software PC emulator on an Atari ST in the 80's. I then installed a hardware emulator, which was faster and had more memory than my first PC, bought a couple of years later..
07-14-2005 at 08:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I use pause/break, usually when I'm programming (when I was programming). And I often use Scroll Lock in games when I need a toggle.

A trend I've seen around that I really like is a separate wireless number pad. Mum has one with her laptop - it came with her mouse.

07-14-2005 at 11:13 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1912
I use a small keyboard w/ no numpad. Luckily DROD allows you to customize the keys.
07-14-2005 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Stay away from my numlock. It's painful to type lots of numbers without it.

Not to mention extra bind space for fps games... Team messages and all.
Roguelikes and DROD aren't so bad, either.
Lots of games use Pause key for - suprise - pausing it !!
-------------

I won't use my money to vote on a keyboard without numpad. But I could use a keyboard without windows keys. They make ctrl/alt harder to hit. I hate that.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
07-14-2005 at 04:39 PM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
What about releasing a DROD USB keyboard with a numpad (1-9), 0 to undo (I have it there so it's more handy) and Q, W and R? ^^

When I play DROD in my sisters laptop it's a pain playing with the letters keys...
07-14-2005 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Control-break (just as control-C) aborts about 50% of all DOS programs and games. That's pretty much irrelevant these days. 'pause' doesn't actually do much per se but can be caught by any application (both old and new) and sometimes actually pauses a game, although this is relatively rare, and Escape, P and control-P are more common. Scroll lock? Never seen its use. Print screen prints the screen (duh) or captures it in windows. I don't have a clue what SysRq does. Come to think of it I rarely use the three windows keys either, and used to consider them gravely annoying but I got used to them now, mostly.

07-14-2005 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
The Windows key that brings up the Start menu gets a lot of use from me. I use it when playing DROD at work, to quickly minimize the game (I have to play fullscreen since my laptop is only 1024x768). I use it at home when playing pretty much any fullscreen game on my computer, to minimize it to look something up online, chat with somebody, etc. Sometimes it gets in the way...I've died a few times because of accidentally hitting it instead of Control or Alt...but in general I get good use out of it. I also prefer using that to minimize a fullscreen game over Alt-Tab.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-14-2005 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
My computer is not powerful at all and when I'm in some "heavy" program (like WoW) is really sucks to accidently press the windows start key. I go "oh sh..." as the operating system desperately tries to relocate system resources back to the desktop (and this probably involves getting stuff from the threshold file back to memory, as it can take about half a minute). And then again when I get back to the program - the conjured resources are sucked back like a genie into its bottle, and after a moment of confusion normal operation hopefully resumes. And all this over one wrong button? Sheesh.

07-15-2005 at 12:52 AM
Oneiromancer
Lol...yeah, that killed me a few times in EQ...fortunately whenever it happened in a group it was never at a vital time. I've upgraded my RAM since then, and with WoW it minimizes pretty fast, and comes back quite fast too. It takes a long time to load a browser at first, but after that it's pretty quick. Guild Wars is extremely fast, but then again it has a minimize button built into it...that's a game which has its resources expertly allocated.

Game on,

07-15-2005 at 01:01 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I use pause/break key sometimes as the pause key in some games (It's strange but I use it about as often as P in SubTerra. I've never used scroll break.

I used to play DROD windowed with a 1024x768 resolution. (It's possible if you hide the title bar above screen. Windows key helped to check other things on the background more easily. When playing in full screen, there's always a small delay when pressing it. I prefer windows key over alt+tab too.

I'm using 1152x864 now and it makes things a little easier.
07-15-2005 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Django
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
I've been playing with computers since the 60's, so I've used quite a few keyboard designs. I STILL miss having the ten PF keys in two columns on the left side of the board. And I've never found a NEED for most of the duplicated keys they've shoved in between the standard keys and the numpad. Get rid of them and more than enough room would be saved to restore the function keys to the left side where they belong. Yeah, right. :rolleyes

07-15-2005 at 04:54 AM
Ander
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 79
This is incidental to the discussion at hand, but when I first downloaded DROD:AE in 2003, I immediately mapped "swing clockwise" to Number Pad Enter and "swing counterclockwise" to Number Pad Zero.

It is impossible to do this in DROD:JTRH. I was sad, and had to give up my one-handed playstyle.
07-15-2005 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
I like all my keys.

Scroll lock can be used to pause terminal output so I can scroll with shift+pageup/pagedown without worrying about new output messing things up.

SysRQ is nice for those rare occasions when the system completely freezes and there's no way out -- SysRQ S(ync) U(nmount) (re)B(oot) can be used to do a safe reboot.

I've got the Win-keys remapped as extra modifier keys, so I can use them for moving windows and for desktop-wide shortcuts without interfering with any programs' shortcuts.

I haven't used the right-click key much, but it comes in handy if you're busy writing something, need a right-click menu, and can't spare the energy to reach for the mouse ;).

Pause/Break is also less used, but I've used it a bit, mostly to temporarily stop output (scroll lock only stops the output, pause stops the outputter).

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 07-15-2005 12:10 PM]
07-15-2005 at 12:00 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Yeah, that's right... Linux uses scroll lock and pause, and SysRQ too.

07-15-2005 at 01:36 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Ander wrote:
This is incidental to the discussion at hand, but when I first downloaded DROD:AE in 2003, I immediately mapped "swing clockwise" to Number Pad Enter and "swing counterclockwise" to Number Pad Zero.

It is impossible to do this in DROD:JTRH. I was sad, and had to give up my one-handed playstyle.

Woah. Now that's just cool. Sounds like something I would do. I'm surprised I didn't think of it. One handed game are so awesome.
07-15-2005 at 02:52 PM
acrobat
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
Sounds like some folks need one of these.
07-19-2005 at 08:07 AM
ESk
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
For my part I've pretty much always used a laptop so the numpad seems a little bit odd to me. Never thought of it providing an advantage for entering numbers... I'll have to try it sometime.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I just deleted the second portion of this post and moved it to its own thread/poll. I didn't want to diver the topic of conersation here too much.

[Last edited by ESk at 07-19-2005 08:55 PM : Hindsight]
07-19-2005 at 03:23 PM
Oneiromancer
I use the default laptop settings on my laptop. The only remapping I do on my home computer is to put Undo on the - key on the numberpad, so that it's a quick reach away, just like on the laptop layout.

I'm right-handed too, but as I grew up on computer games that had you move with the arrow keys on the right side of the keyboard...that preference just naturally caught on. The only FPS games I really played much were the original ones, Wolfenstein - Doom - Heretic - Quake, which were also generally mapped to the arrow keys and keys nearby. Using WASD was never hard, but it depended on what other keys were being used for that particular game.

Game on,

07-19-2005 at 03:43 PM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: The Future of the Numberpad (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
It stopped people pinching your scrolls, silly!

Anyway, Gerry touched on the same reasons I use those keys (on FreeBSD! :lol) but generally keys are just keys that can be redifined.. I.E. When I'm in x-windows, I have scroll-lock remapped to run the 'skippy' task manager. http://thegraveyard.org/skippy.php

07-20-2005 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
In addition to all the above:

Scroll lock is still used by excel (2002 at least). When pressed, and when using the arrow keys, the window will scroll but the selected cell will remain selected. Useful to snap back to where you were. Similar to mouse wheel in word, and then snap back with an arrow press but in excel, it's on the y and x axis.

Pause/Break is actually more powerful than Ctrl C when in an IDE such as (DOS) Borland C. Ctrl C would attempt to kill the running process. Ctrl Break would kill the IDE and return you to DOS (bye bye any unsaved changes but better than rebooting).
Pause itself was useful when 486 dx2s + (pre ME) came out and DOS/Windows boot screen would be loaded before the monitor could display all the himem, emm386, tsr loads etc... I still use as the other day my PC would reboot just before it reached the XP login, but just *after* displaying a 80x32 style DOS screen telling me what the matter was. Took a few attempts at pausing at the right time :)

Finally, Print Scrn is great, especially in a MMWIE (Massive MultiWorker Indoor Environment) where screen-shots are required. As Eric mentioned, Ctrl Prnt Scrn will capure the desktop, but ALt Prnt Scrn will only capture the active window. :thumbsup
07-20-2005 at 08:14 PM
ErikH2000
Syntax wrote:
Finally, Print Scrn is great, especially in a MMWIE (Massive MultiWorker Indoor Environment) where screen-shots are required. As Eric mentioned, Ctrl Prnt Scrn will capure the desktop, but ALt Prnt Scrn will only capture the active window. :thumbsup
Don't print screen and ctrl-print screen do exactly the same thing? In other words, copy the full screen to the clipboard. I remember long ago pressing print screen and the screenshot actually going to a printer, but nowadays, it seems this is no longer the case. I've got a functioning printer hooked up (in fact, 3 functioning printers) but it doesn't send anything to the printer when I hit print screen.

-Erik

07-20-2005 at 08:32 PM
Syntax
Wow... you're right!
There are hundreds of testers in the UK who press Ctrl Print Scrn in order to open tickets with meaningful scrnshots... or maybe it's a myth.

In any case, you've dispelled it :)

[I still stick with my Alt Print Scrn just copying the active window which is more useful to the coder -> I don't need to see that they're on playboy.net (for example) to fix the bug ;)]

Anyways Eric, and I've been meaning to ask... when we having lunch ?

:)

[EDIT]

Oh, and while we're on the topic. Print Scrn did definitely used to print to printer (funny that), but that was first created by GEM in 83. They did the whole desktop Win-95-style first, convincing hardware manufacturers to build the keyboard (*hardware*) that the *software* expected (if only it was still that way round)... and then went bust...

I had a point.

;)

[EDIT]

CVS conflict

[Last edited by Syntax at 07-22-2005 11:55 PM]
07-22-2005 at 11:49 PM
ErikH2000
Syntax wrote:
In any case, you've dispelled it :)
Cool! I didn't know about about the alt-printscreen. I have spent a lot of time cropping screenshots, so that's actually really useful.
Anyways Eric, and I've been meaning to ask... when we having lunch ?
Whah? Do you live in Seattle?

-Erik

07-22-2005 at 11:58 PM
Syntax
Well....

... no.

But, every time (rarely) when I shut down my PC, and hence have to close down JtRH you appear there shaking my hand, saying I've been good (bravely ignoring the scarab) and offering lunch so I thought I'd be the first (I assume) to take you up on it...

The London/Seattle thing might be a problem though :)

07-23-2005 at 12:29 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Future of the Numberpad (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com