Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Player Savegames, AE / JtRH (And converting between)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Player Savegames, AE / JtRH (0)  
I'm a spoiled brat. I wanna beat KDD on JtRH, because I love my backspace button (in an entirely legal way, of course).

So, I got that rip outta the architecture hold, and I've made it to about level 21. And I'm realizing 'oh, hey, I can't see the ending,', and I try to re-instate it into AE. Of course, I have JTRH holds, so it says 'what, no, this is corrupt.'

If I make a copy of this player, and delete all holds except for KDD from it, can I import THAT into AE and thus get the ending I so desire? :O And if not, uh. I guess I can't put my name on the list of Legendary Smitemasters when I win!
06-11-2005 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Player Savegames, AE / JtRH (0)  
Well, I'm sure in a case like this, Matt would make an exception and ask you something else about the end of the game for you, because there is no known way at this time to convert a 2.0 player file to 1.6 format. Still, if need be, I can make the deal that if you email me your player file when you complete the game, I will verify it will Matt that you have, in fact, completed the game. Heck, we want to see you on that list!

06-12-2005 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
Or you can tell him what the 'neather says. It is the same as in Webfoot except the text box is in drod style.

06-12-2005 at 06:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101

File: Kandi.mp3 (1.2 MB)
Downloaded 37 times.
License: Other
Well, exactly what he says is part of the ending of 1.6.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 05-15-2008 04:18 AM]
06-12-2005 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
It's not exactly the end. There is still that last puzzle. :)

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:06-12-2005 at 06:33 AM]

06-12-2005 at 06:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Nonononononononono...
Click here to view the secret text
...And if I'm correct, that's what Matt is refering to when he says "What, word for word, does the Neather say...?". Then again, I've never had my hands on registered Webfoot, and that's probably for the better.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:06-12-2005 at 06:38 AM: 'They' and 'he' kind of mean the same thing...]

06-12-2005 at 06:37 AM
rowrow
In Webfoot Drod he doesn't say what it says in beethro's tale since in webfoot Drod, there is no beethro's tale! He is refering to the lines that the 'neather says in the pop up box in the last room when you catch him which are the same words in both caravel and webfoot Drod.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:06-12-2005 at 06:51 AM]

06-12-2005 at 06:48 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Rowrow is correct - during the last puzzle, the Neather will ask you something. If you tell me what that is, that'll work instead of the ending.

06-12-2005 at 07:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
because there is no known way at this time to convert a 2.0 player file to 1.6 format.
Shameless plug: If you just wait until the end of the next week (probably sooner) and look at this thread, then there will be a way!

06-12-2005 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Speicus
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 40
When I beat KDD I was told that the Legendary Smitemasters page was no longer being updated now that Schik's high score pages exist.

This made me very, very sad and despondent. :(
06-12-2005 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Erm, no. It's just a pain, so I tend to save it up.

06-13-2005 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Stefan wrote:
Shameless plug: If you just wait until the end of the next week (probably sooner) and look at this thread, then there will be a way!

...awesome, but I fail at Java.

(I have tried some moderate messing about with player exporting in an effort to fix this. I have failed tragically. :()

06-14-2005 at 12:39 AM
Stefan
Banjooie wrote:
...awesome, but I fail at Java.

(I have tried some moderate messing about with player exporting in an effort to fix this. I have failed tragically. :()
It should be quite simple (if you know how to use a command prompt). Just unzip the application from the thread to a directory on your hard drive, export your player to that same directory, open up an MS-DOS Prompt (or whatever it's called nowadays) and head over to that directory. Then simply type
java JtRH2AE "Playerfile.player"
where Playerfile.player should be replaced with the name of the player-file you just exported. The quotation marks are required only if the filename contains any spaces.

If you have Java installed on your system, then this should work. Now, let the app work for a while, and if it finishes successfully then your AE-importable player file should be a file (in the same directory as the original player file) named Playerfile_AE.player (again, 'Playerfile' replaced by the name of your orig. player-file). Then all you have to do is import the newly created player file to AE!

Let me know if the import fails (or if any other step on the way fails), because I've been occasionally having some problems with importing the files the app creates. Probably some minor detail I've forgotten (or possibly a corrupted dat-file).

Also, make sure to backup your previous AE data (if you have any) before attempting to import anything. Just in case.

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:06-14-2005 at 01:03 AM]

06-14-2005 at 01:01 AM
DeamonMonkey
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
icon Re: Player Savegames, AE / JtRH (+1)  
So, now, how can we get on the Legendary Smitemaster list?
06-14-2005 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Testing this now. If it works, I swear I'm upmodding your post.

It works, but alas, I still can't see the ending because it's complaining I don't have the demos for any of the levels.

Which, I suppose, I don't. But still. :(
06-14-2005 at 07:27 AM
Stefan
icon Re: Player Savegames, AE / JtRH (+1)  
Ah, that's actually a bit expected, since AE marks the demos for those rooms in a special way... You have demos for those rooms, but not the right type of demos. A workaround would be to replay the rooms in question: (list taken from this post)

Click here to view the secret text

Also, to make a demo of a monsterless entrance room you have to restore to the level before and walk down the stairs. Otherwise no demo will be recorded (inconvenience in the game).

I'll consider fixing this (marking the demos) in the converter.
Edit: Although it might take a while, it was a little more complicated than I thought at first...

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:06-14-2005 at 08:09 AM]

06-14-2005 at 07:41 AM
Banjooie
....well then. I have to do the entirety of level 25 without use of the backspace button.

ouch.

I, uh.

NEVER MIND ANY OF THIS :D

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:06-15-2005 at 12:51 AM]
06-14-2005 at 08:05 AM
Stefan
I've now fixed it so that the appropriate demos should be marked when converting a player-file. However, I haven't tested it properly yet, so it would be nice if you [Banjooie] could try it out and see if it works. The updated version can be found in the usual place.

06-16-2005 at 12:21 AM
Banjooie
I, uh, haven't been able to successfully translate a player file with this new version thus far.
06-16-2005 at 03:58 AM
Stefan
Does it fail while converting? If so, what is the error message?

If not, then when does it fail?

Edit: I'm assuming you've had the option "save demos when you conquer a room" checked in JtRH while playing. If this has been turned off, then the program can't really help (but it should be able to convert successfully).

[Last edited by Stefan at 06-16-2005 04:33 AM]
06-16-2005 at 04:12 AM
Banjooie
Er, AE's claiming the converted player is corrupted.
06-16-2005 at 04:33 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Player Savegames, AE / JtRH (And converting between)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com