Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Ninth Level : 1 South, 3 East
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
drodette
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Ninth Level : 1 South, 3 East (0)  
Alrighty. So if I'm the first to post on this room, there is clearly something terribly obvious that I'm missing. Any ideas? I am well and truly stumped.

06-06-2005 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Ninth Level : 1 South, 3 East (0)  
Well...what have you tried so far? What do you think needs to be done? Where do you think the mimics need to go? It will be much easier for us to help you if we know where you're coming from.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-06-2005 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
drodette
Ok, sorry. ... I put the first mimic in the one-orb place, the second in the two-orb place and the third in the final box. I am able to kill one eye and once, miraculously, two eyes, but the mimics inevitably get stuck. So I have also tried putting mimics near the eyes themselves, but run into snags there too.

06-06-2005 at 09:36 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Ninth Level : 1 South, 3 East (+1)  
Well, as a first hint, you're on the right track. The mimics need to go in their "boxes", and you just need to move very carefully to make sure they don't get stuck. It's definitely possible...just be careful and watch the mimics more carefully than you watch Beethro. ;)

I know sometimes what prevents me from solving a room is even knowing if I'm on the right track...so now that you do, I would suggest trying it again, and if you still have trouble, we can try to help...but it would either be supplying a demo or describing movement exactly, I'm thinking.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-06-2005 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
drodette
Describing movement exactly sounds good! Honestly, this requires way more forward thinking than I - she of the feeble intellect - can handle. I will keep trying, but any further tips would be gratefully accepted.

06-06-2005 at 09:52 PM
Oneiromancer
Well...I don't think that would be very easy to do. At least, I don't have the time to analyze me demos or play it through again and write down all my moves. If someone else can, that's great...but I'd suggest trying it again for a little while...if you can get two eyes you know what needs to be done, you just need to do it more! And I'd be happy to supply a demo if you are just tearing your hair out after trying some more.

Game on,

06-06-2005 at 09:58 PM
drodette
Phew. Got it. Thanks :)

Anyone got an Advil?

06-06-2005 at 10:47 PM
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
I didn't like this room or this type of room. It is like the 8 mimic room in level 22 of kdd but much harder even though it is shorter.

06-07-2005 at 05:02 AM
grandmoo
Rank Points: 17
Can someone tell me if the exact initial placement of the mimics is crucial? (I get all the eyes in the bottom, but can't go up because one mimic will be stuck, or i can get the two eyes on the top, then can't go back down because the other mimic will be stuck... Obviously placement must be important, but i'm wondering if solution is possible from different starting points, or if the trick is to figure the exact placement required (I don't like this room either...too much plodding and not enough SPLAT!)

08-07-2005 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I don't think placement is crucial, because once you have gone through the first room they'll all be in the same position no matter where you place them (so long as they don't get stuck of course).

Game on,

08-07-2005 at 07:19 PM
grandmoo
Thank you... so the order that the rooms are done must be the secret, because the order i've tried most certainly isn't working!

08-07-2005 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
grandmoo wrote:
Thank you... so the order that the rooms are done must be the secret, because the order i've tried most certainly isn't working!

Well... In fact that is not true either. As I see it you might view each cluster of evil eyes as itīs own problem. More or less seperate. Can you take out a cluster of evil eyes without any of your mimics getting stuck when you get out of the cluster you shuold be able to continue on to the next one. Thatīs at least my experience with the room.
08-07-2005 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
grandmoo
My problem is not getting to the eyes, but getting back out of the area once they're done, because the two mimics end up in a relationship where only one can move up, and the other can move down, but I can't move up or down because one of them will get stuck... I know what has to be done, now I only have to find the right combination to do it!

08-07-2005 at 10:37 PM
larryws
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
I'm having the same problem as the previous post for this room (even though it is almost a year old). I don't have any problem killing the eyes, but I can't Bethro out of the upper or lower section without trapping a mimic. I have tried every combo of moves I can imagine, but no cigar--it just aint happening.

Obviously there is a solution--I am one column off from getting Bethro out Can someone provide a Hint or Clue that will point me in the correct direction?

07-19-2006 at 08:19 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
If I recall correctly, you may want to maneuver a bit while outside of the eye-boxes, to take into account that column problem.

07-19-2006 at 09:37 PM
larryws
Rank Points: 11
Thanks, that is all I needed; I had saved the game two moves from the solution. Oh well.......

07-20-2006 at 05:20 PM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Hmm, I still can't get it (most likely because it is 4:05 AM and I'm still awake), can you provide a demo?

07-29-2006 at 09:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670

File: Josh_JtRH_9_1S3E.demo (3.6 KB)
Downloaded 325 times.
License: Public Domain
Snacko wrote:
Hmm, I still can't get it (most likely because it is 4:05 AM and I'm still awake), can you provide a demo?

Here's one.

07-29-2006 at 02:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Thanks, I've been sampling user-holds for 4 months or so :blush .

07-29-2006 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
darla4me
Rank Points: 10
Snacko wrote:

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS THE PREVIOUS POSTS TOO, I CANNOT SEEM TO BE ABLE TO GET BEETHRO OUT OFF THE UPPER LEVEL AFTER KILLING THE EYES. I TOO AM ONE COLUMN OFF. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. THIS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! :fun :fun

[Last edited by darla4me at 04-14-2007 02:10 PM]
04-14-2007 at 01:54 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
darla4me wrote:
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. THIS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! :fun :fun
The demo posted by Josh is still there two posts above yours - feel free to watch it.

np: New Order - Turn (Singles (Disc 2))

04-14-2007 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
darla4me
Briareos wrote:
darla4me wrote:
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. THIS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! :fun :fun
The demo posted by Josh is still there two posts above yours - feel free to watch it.

np: New Order - Turn (Singles (Disc 2))

Thank you for your reply, however i cannot view these posted demos or room images. I am registered, I am loogged in so I am a little bit lost as on how to proceed. Can you help? :? :?
04-14-2007 at 05:04 PM
Briareos
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Ninth Level : 1 South, 3 East (+2)  
darla4me wrote:
Can you help? :? :?
Certainly.

Click on the link below Josh's avatar that says "Josh_JtRH_9_1S3E.demo" then save the file to somewhere on your hard disc.

Now run DROD, restore to the room in question, hit F6 to bring up the demo screen, click on the "Import" button and navigate to where you saved the .demo file using DROD's built-in file browser, then select it and hit Okay.

That should make the demo appear in the top left list in the demo screen; click on it once to select it then click on the "Watch" button. You can use the left/right cursor keys to step through the demo at your leisure, or hit space to let it play normally again.

np: Contriva - No One Below (Separate Chambers)

04-14-2007 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
darla4me
Briareos wrote:
darla4me wrote:
Can you help? :? :?
Certainly.

Click on the link below Josh's avatar that says "Josh_JtRH_9_1S3E.demo" then save the file to somewhere on your hard disc.

Now run DROD, restore to the room in question, hit F6 to bring up the demo screen, click on the "Import" button and navigate to where you saved the .demo file using DROD's built-in file browser, then select it and hit Okay.

That should make the demo appear in the top left list in the demo screen; click on it once to select it then click on the "Watch" button. You can use the left/right cursor keys to step through the demo at your leisure, or hit space to let it play normally again.

np: Contriva - No One Below (Separate Chambers)

You have been very helpful in explaining these steps, however after following all the steps you mentioned and try to import the file it prompts me with "file not found". I am completely at a loss!! HELPPP!! :~( :~( :~(
04-14-2007 at 05:54 PM
Briareos
darla4me wrote:
You have been very helpful in explaining these steps, however after following all the steps you mentioned and try to import the file it prompts me with "file not found". I am completely at a loss!! HELPPP!! :~( :~( :~(
Wait - you're not just entering "Josh_JtRH_9_1S3E.demo" into the "File name" box, are you?

What you have to do is to use the list in the upper half of the import window to navigate to the folder you saved the demo file in (double click on ".." to go up a folder, or look at the bottom to change to a different drive) until you see the demo file appear in the lower list, then select it and hit Okay.

If you follow those instructions there should be no "file not found" message, since you pointed the game at an existing file.

Or if that's not it, could you describe what you're exactly doing to get the "file not found", just a bit more detailed? Also, what operating system are you using? Windows? Mac OS X? Linux?

np: Richie Hawtin - Tonarzt (DE9 - Transitions)

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-14-2007 07:38 PM]
04-14-2007 at 07:37 PM
darla4me
Briareos wrote:
darla4me wrote:
Wait - you're not just entering "Josh_JtRH_9_1S3E.demo" into the "File name" box, are you?

What you have to do is to use the list in the upper half of the import window to navigate to the folder you saved the demo file in (double click on ".." to go up a folder, or look at the bottom to change to a different drive) until you see the demo file appear in the lower list, then select it and hit Okay.

If you follow those instructions there should be no "file not found" message, since you pointed the game at an existing file.

Or if that's not it, could you describe what you're exactly doing to get the "file not found", just a bit more detailed? Also, what operating system are you using? Windows? Mac OS X? Linux?

I am using Mac OS X. Once I open the downloaded demo, the system promts me with the file containing incompatable components, I saved it anyway to my hard drive and followed the steps to suggested and the file not found message comes up. Thanks for your help!
04-14-2007 at 07:45 PM
darla4me
darla4me wrote:
Briareos wrote:
darla4me wrote:

I am using Mac OS X. Once I open the downloaded demo, the system promts me with the file containing incompatable components, I saved it anyway to my hard drive and followed the steps to suggested and the file not found message comes up. Thanks for your help!

Once again Thank you, I was finally able to watch the download, your last tip was very help ful!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup
04-14-2007 at 07:55 PM
Bingbing
Rank Points: 22
I can't take this room anymore! The tips aren't helping, and the demo isn't working with me. Can someone give me the direct solution word by word please?

Edit: Here are justifications for putting the solution word by word.

1. This room is riduculously hard. Stuff like this should be at least in Level 20 or something.
2. There are 3 topics for this room. Doing this would avoid a fourth.
3. It is possibly putting people off of DROD. That equals less income.
4. Ketchup and Puppies.

Also, please put the answer in a secret tag. If we didn't, there would be a problem.

[Last edited by Bingbing at 06-22-2007 06:25 PM : Justifications]
06-22-2007 at 06:18 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
There is a demo a few posts above yours, and detailed instructions on how to import it below that. If you can't get it to work, try explaining what goes wrong rather than asking someone to write out the full solution.

(How does that work anyway? A list of keystrokes? I certainly don't feel like doing that and I doubt anyone else does either...)

"Oook!"
06-22-2007 at 06:55 PM
Bingbing
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Ninth Level : 1 South, 3 East (-1)  
Now, now. I'm not impatient. Do it little by little. 10 moves per day or so is a good idea. Afterwards, PM me and I'll be able to work on JtRH again.

(Of course, if you are lazy, 5 moves a day might be better.)

06-23-2007 at 01:45 AM
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Ninth Level : 1 South, 3 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com