Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Room Mosaic Contest (Our competition for June)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
IP: Logged

File: HauffLockedOfficial.jpg (111.5 KB)
Downloaded 1065 times.
License: Other
icon Room Mosaic Contest (+4)  
Erhm, well... here is our competition for June :

Room Mosaic Contest

Well, the contest this month will have something to do with holds, as announced by Erik before. Attached, you have a picture with a "Room-Mosaic". It has 234 rooms (I think). These rooms were all taken out of user-made holds that were submitted to the Holds board. Expect to find
8 bogus rooms!

1.) Definition: A bogus room is a room that you can't find in the user-made holds in the holds section.

2.) Your task is to find out which 8 rooms are "bogus". You can use the image and mark the rooms with a cross in each of the eight rooms. Please make only 8 crosses. You can do less (if you dont want to guess) but not more. If I receive a pic with more than 8 crosses, I'll ask you to remove the crosses that are too much.

3.) You can send me the pic with the crosses to daniel.blochinger@vr-web.de; I'll reply if I got it, and it's correct.

4.) Discussing the contest: You can talk about things like: if you find the contest good/bad or difficult/easy or ask how many rooms you think you got. But please, NO spoilers or Hints!!!! Or else you might be disqualified.

5.) The person with the most correct crosses will win. If many have the same number of right guesses, the fastest will win.

The first prize is 100 handmade rank points and an item from the Prize
Pile
. The second will get 50 rank points and the third 25. The fourth will get an owl. If you haven't won a prize, you also get 1 rank point per correct guess (two if you are new to DROD Contests).

6.) "There is just one different black dot in the mosaic room!
Really!!!!". No. I tried to make the bogus rooms look not too much like real rooms, but since my image-killing program is not a high end thingy sometimes the walls around the rooms look double, and the picture is not so sharp (but still sharp enough).

7.) The contest will begin now. You can send me Emails from now until Local Time:06-25-2005 at 02:00 PM.

8.) You only get to send me one set of 8 guesses, so make sure they are what you want!

9.) Have fun and success!

10.) Dont use any scripts that do bitmaps of all rooms and compare them to the Mosaic or any other helping program

-Meckmeck GRE

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 07:31 PM]

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:06-07-2005 at 12:08 PM: Added a rule]
06-06-2005 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
icon Re: Room Mosaic Contest (+1)  
Great contest :D.
06-06-2005 at 01:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: Room Mosaic Contest (0)  
This is a really good contest idea. When I first read the subject line, I thought we were going to have to create a mosaic out of rooms. That might be a good idea, actually... using only rooms, make a larger picture (such as a sword or a roach).

[Edited by Malarame at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 04:57 PM]

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
06-06-2005 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Is King Dugan's Dungeon considered as 'user made hold'?
Technically it isn't in the holds section
06-06-2005 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Doom wrote:
Is King Dugan's Dungeon considered as 'user made hold'?
Technically it isn't in the holds section
You can find KDD on the Holds board here.

[Edited by mrimer at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 05:09 PM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-06-2005 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
1.) Definition: A bogus room is a room that you can't find in the user-made holds in the holds section.
I don't see KDD as an user made hold. I don't see it in the holds section either. (Sorted in alphabetical order to see)

Yes, there's a topic on the holds board but it still isn't in the holds section. I also don't see it on my hold selection list.

But as I assumed, it's in so no further questions.
06-06-2005 at 04:26 PM
MeckMeck GRE
JtrH is considerd as a user made hold, but actually there are I think no rooms of JtrH in the puzzle.
06-06-2005 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
edit: never mind

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 05:07 PM]
06-06-2005 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
....that's awesome.

I am totally getting to work on this when I get home.
06-06-2005 at 05:30 PM
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
MeckMeckGRE the image is not working for me. Is this intended or just a corrupted attachment?

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 06:20 PM]

06-06-2005 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
MasterGiga wrote:
MeckMeckGRE the image is not working for me. Is this intended or just a corrupted attachment?

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 06:20 PM]

On my PC it works.... maybe try it with IrfanWiew
06-06-2005 at 07:00 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
MeckMeck, maybe you can clear up a few things...

Are you sure there are no JtRH rooms in the mosaic? It would be good to know for certain so people who don't have the full version of JtRH don't get mad about it later.

It seems that a number of people may have a set of guesses ready before the 36 hour mark. Should people just e-mail you their guesses when they have them? Or should they wait until an exact time? (maybe an untiltime macro would be good for this case)

-Erik

06-06-2005 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Okay, you may mail your answers right now ! And there are no JtrH rooms > level 3 in the mosaic.
06-06-2005 at 07:32 PM
Doom
I found a room that differs only very slightly from the room in the picture. (Still, the difference can't be only about picture quality) Should I assume that the room has been modified after the picture taking and count it (as "one of the not possible to be any of the eight boguses") or ignore it as a different version of the room? (And therefore possibly one of the bogus rooms) Anyway, it's completely obvious that the picture shows at least one version of the room in question.

to be more specific, the change is that there are a couple stairs more in the current room than in the picture so it *could* be possible that the hold is updated to allow easier access or for a similar reason.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 08:49 PM: added a note]
06-06-2005 at 08:43 PM
Banjooie
Can we PM it or the like, if we're not into that whole crazy email thing?
06-06-2005 at 08:50 PM
MasterGiga
The image still isn't showing up for me. With IrfanView it says the image is an ART file and IrfanView can't read ART files. So, how is everyone else viewing the image?

06-06-2005 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
It's a jpeg... should be viewable in any standard image viewer/editor.

And Banjooie - you can't PM attachments. Besides, I'm sure MeckMeck won't sell your email address to anyone ;)

"Oook!"
06-06-2005 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
icon Re: Room Mosaic Contest (-1)  
krammer wrote:
And Banjooie - you can't PM attachments. Besides, I'm sure MeckMeck won't sell your email address to anyone ;)

I can PM him the URL of the image, uploaded, though. :P

Furthermore: it's more my ISP occasionally goes 'hi, uh, we didn't feel like sending that email, so we're gonna tell you it didn't send in a couple weeks'. It's why I tend to not use it. :D
06-06-2005 at 09:39 PM
Doom
Sent my entry. I'm not expecting a perfect 8-match but I hope to get close. Good luck to other participators. :thumbsup

Kind of cool contest although it's kind of tedious (unless I missed something that makes it alot easier...)
06-06-2005 at 09:40 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Here is the image in-lined. Maybe you can see it in your browser?

-Erik

06-06-2005 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Well, in the interest of speed, I've PMed mine with link, and can email if it's a huge issue. :O

I expect to thoroughly lose to Doom.

[Edited by Banjooie at Local Time:06-06-2005 at 09:46 PM: oh, hey, that coherency thing is neat.]
06-06-2005 at 09:46 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Gif or Png might be a better choice for these images. Jpeg is best for photographic data with natural scenery in it, but not so great for large field of the same color or limited color depth. Would it be alright if you could post a Png of the original? (Some of the Jpeg squigglies sort of look like bombs, at least as far as the minimap goes.)

++Adam H. Peterson
06-06-2005 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
AlefBet wrote:
(Some of the Jpeg squigglies sort of look like bombs, at least as far as the minimap goes.)
Agreed. I've been trying to look at the thing at higher zooms in Eye of Gnome, and it can be difficult to tell sometimes whether or not the pixels are their actual counterpart or just a subject of compressed data. Even BMP would help, seeing as you did it in MS Paint.

06-06-2005 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MasterGiga
I can see the image in my browser. I'm at school right now, but I'll see how it works out at home later tonight. :D

I may end up having to print a screen image and paste it in MS paint or something.

06-06-2005 at 10:48 PM
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
Banjooie wrote:
I expect to thoroughly lose to Doom.

I thoroughly expect to lose to Stefan

good news is I do recognize some of those rooms already

now I'm off to see how much I can zoom without losing all the detail

[Edited by swann_88 at Local Time:06-07-2005 at 03:28 AM]
06-07-2005 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Doom wrote:
to be more specific, the change is that there are a couple stairs more in the current room than in the picture so it *could* be possible that the hold is updated to allow easier access or for a similar reason.

Doom, If you can pick out the number of stairs then your resolution must be very good or mine if very bad. :D

I am not looking for a hint but is your resolution showing the actual number or stairs or just staircases? I want to make sure I am seeing what everyone else is seeing which is more of an outline of shapes rather than specific elements.

06-07-2005 at 03:51 AM
Doom
techant wrote:
Doom wrote:

Doom, If you can pick out the number of stairs then your resolution must be very good or mine if very bad. :D

I am not looking for a hint but is your resolution showing the actual number or stairs or just staircases? I want to make sure I am seeing what everyone else is seeing which is more of an outline of shapes rather than specific elements.
yeah, yeah. Staircases :D
06-07-2005 at 04:38 AM
MasterGiga
Okay, I'm good to go now. The attached image still didn't work for me, but I used Erik's posted image. I don't know what the problem could be with the attachment...

Now, of course, I have to re-install JtRH...PC crash. I'll manage though. :no

06-07-2005 at 07:30 AM
DelverDom
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
Just posted my guesses off! They are almost purely random but it's worth a try...

[Edited by DelverDom at Local Time:06-07-2005 at 11:25 AM]

06-07-2005 at 11:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Banjooie wrote:
Can we PM it or the like, if we're not into that whole crazy email thing?

Of course you can ! Banjooie, I recieved your guess.
06-07-2005 at 12:09 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Room Mosaic Contest (Our competition for June)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com