Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : (maybe a bug) upgrading 1.5 data
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
IP: Logged
icon (maybe a bug) upgrading 1.5 data (0)  
heh, right after you install DROD you are Erik. :)

You can upgrade your 1.5 data by deleting Erik, exiting and restarting DROD.

[Edited by bdcribbs on 06-29-2003 at 09:45 AM]
06-29-2003 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: (not a bug) upgrading 1.5 data (0)  
Irritating. There are just so many stupid steps to remember when putting the build together. Next build I'll fix that and screw up something else.

-Erik

06-29-2003 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
icon Re: Re: (not a bug) upgrading 1.5 data (0)  
[ this is post 666 to the Bugs forum :devil ]

It appears maybe I was wrong about having to delete the player (?).
When I installed it the first time it did not prompt me and I was installing over top of a copy of my 1.5 game.
When I installed the second time I was installing into a blank directory and it did prompt me (it somehow found a .dat file to import).

weird. related to the wise issue maybe

ErikH2000 wrote:
Next build I'll fix that and screw up something else.
Don't be down on yourself, you are doing a great job. I'm just learning to know what sort of crap you're going through, our tech manager is on vacation until next week, and I'm his fill-in... and we're delivering a release this week. It's quite a break for me to play the tester role with drod.

[Edited by bdcribbs on 06-29-2003 at 09:48 AM]
06-29-2003 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: (maybe a bug) upgrading 1.5 data (0)  
My copy won't upgrade from 1.5. I tried to upgrade, then installing fully to a blank directory. I have deleted Erik as a player, but when I enter DROD I just get the Player Select box to choose from. As my exported player is corrupted, I need to update from 1.5 - I really don't want to have to replay Dugan's Dungeon.

"Oook!"
06-29-2003 at 11:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: (maybe a bug) upgrading 1.5 data (0)  
Okay, there's two or three bugs here that are just probably the result of me accidentally putting not-quite-empty data files into the setup. Let's just see if any of them come up again in the next build.

-Erik

06-30-2003 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
icon Still can't upgrade from 1.5 (0)  
And - they do. Tried both the full install and the upgrade and it didn't give me the option of upgrading from verison 1.5 at all.

So you know...

1.5 is in C:\\Program Files\\DROD1.5
Build 25 is in C:\\Program Files\\drodbeta25
Build 26 is in C:\\Program Files\\drodbuild26

Version 1.5 was originally in just C:\\Program Files\\DROD, but I renamed it recently to distinguish - if that caused the problem, apologies.

"Oook!"
07-02-2003 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
After I installed build 26, the ImportPath setting in drod.ini was pointing to the data directory of my most recent 1.5 installation.
Shouldn't it point to the data directory of the 1.6 installation that I just did?

krammer, if you change the ImportPath to the directory that contains your 1.5 dat file, and set Status=ready, you will be able to import the data.

07-02-2003 at 10:54 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: (maybe a bug) upgrading 1.5 data (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:
After I installed build 26, the ImportPath setting in drod.ini was pointing to the data directory of my most recent 1.5 installation.
Shouldn't it point to the data directory of the 1.6 installation that I just did?
No, it should point to 1.5 data. Specifically, it should point to a directory that contains a drod1_5.dat file. So the above behavior sounds correct to me.

-Erik

07-02-2003 at 10:59 PM
bdcribbs
My assumption was that if I install over top of an existing 1.5 install, I would expect to upgrade my data (specificaly that installations data, not some other 1.5's data). When I installed into an empty directory, I didn't expect that it would upgrade any data.

This hardly matters since most people only have one copy of 1.5 installed, but if it looked for the data in the directory it was installed in, it would be easy to upgrade more than one data file by upgrading both copies, then exporting from one to the other (than you could delete the exported player's installation).
Currently, to accomplish this users will have to manually move around .dat files or edit the drod.ini.

[Edited by bdcribbs on 07-03-2003 at 03:58 AM]
07-02-2003 at 11:42 PM
krammer
Hmmm... the ImportPath in drod.ini was set to d:\\data\\drod cvsroot\\caravel\\dat1.5

Any idea why? My D: drive is the CD one, so no wonder it couldn't find it, but I don't see why it thought DROD was installed there...

But it works now, thanks for the help, bdcribbs.

"Oook!"
07-03-2003 at 05:51 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
I posted a bug report for this in the DB.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-03-2003 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : (maybe a bug) upgrading 1.5 data
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com