Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Room screenshots in the forum
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Room screenshots in the forum (0)  
Once the beta is over, and holds start proliferating, there will have to be some sort of policy as to which holds get added to the "insert DROD room image" option and which don't. I'm wondering if either Schik or the DROD developers gave this any thought yet - and if so, what is it going to be?

I'm asking because ideally it will contain popular fan-made holds in addition to official Caravel ones, but on the other hand there hopefully will be too many of those to include every one...

06-28-2003 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Room screenshots in the forum (0)  
Right now, the database for just Dugan's Dungeon takes around 2 megs or so. While official holds will hopefully be around the same size, I'd guess fan-made ones will generally be smaller.

One big question is how much room do we have to use? I have no idea. I think Erik has said he's not sure either, and it might be a pain to find out, since the people hosting the site are in France.

If we have user ratings of holds, we could maybe use that to determine which holds have "earned" the right to be in the db? I don't know... It's a tough call. I'd like to see all of them in there if possible.

Basically, I've known this would be coming but haven't thought a whole lot about it -- I've just made sure that technically we can have multiple holds in there.

06-28-2003 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Room screenshots in the forum (0)  
Schik wrote:
If we have user ratings of holds, we could maybe use that to determine which holds have "earned" the right to be in the db?
That's not a bad way to do it.
I don't know... It's a tough call. I'd like to see all of them in there if possible.
I agree. Maybe we could simply wait for someone who wants to make a post with an inserted room from a hold, and put the hold into the database at that point. So if there was at least a little demand for the hold, we can put it up.

What we can do depends on how much space we have. I'll go send an e-mail about that now while I remember it.

-Erik

06-28-2003 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Room screenshots in the forum
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com